Monday, August 18, 2008

Things I Hate In FFXI - Vol. 3

Tonight's post is sort of an addendum to yesterday's post. It's another of those things that you just have to expect from a multiplayer game.

Of course, that doesn't mean it still doesn't piss me off.

One of the things that has always driven me crazy is artifact armor.

I know what you're thinking: what could possibly piss me off about artifact armor?

Artifact armor is free gear that is usually at least acceptable. Sure, not every part is amazing, but each set has certain pieces that are very valuable.

What could I possible hate about that?

Maybe it's the fact that EVERYONE GETS IT.

This is supposed to be one of a kind, specially made armor that has been rediscovered through your quests.

You know, like finding an artifact.

So, you go through this epic series of quests, unearth valuable and historical gear, and finally equip yourself in your new, unique armor.

Just like everybody else.

How in the hell are you supposed to feel epic in your new artifact armor when seven people run past you wearing the same gear on their way to the auction house?

My personal favorite in this respect is the Dragoon artifact gear. Dragoon has always been my main job (shut up), so I was really looking forward to getting this gear.

The basic premise of the storyline is that you are recovering the lost armor of the last Dragoon.

Epic, I know.

But, if I'm finding the armor of the last Dragoon, what in the hell are all these other people wearing?

Player1>> So you recovered the armor of the last Dragoon?
Player2>> Yeah.
Player2>> It's really cool looking.
Player1>> What's it look like?
Player2>> Just like that guy over there.
Player2>> Or that girl.
Player2>> Or that Galka.
Player2>> Or those three tarus over there.
Player1>> ...
Player1>> How many suits of armor did the last Dragoon have?

It doesn't make any sense.

Again, it seems to be one of those issues that plague the MMORPG genre. As I said yesterday, you didn't see that shit happening in single player games.

Cloud>> Look, guys!
Cloud>> I just won the Ultima Weapon!
Barrett>> Yeah, I got one of those last week.
Barrett>> It's just sitting in my inventory.
Cloud>> But this is epic!
Cid>> Hey, guys. Sorry I'm late.
Cid>> What's Cloud shouting about?
Barrett>> He got an Ultima Weapon.
Cid>> You, too?

I mean, maybe I'm being picky here, but shouldn't there be a limited number of artifact armor lying around?

Didn't people have anything better to do other than run around burying armor all over the freakin' place?

He was probably the last Dragoon because he spent all of his time hiding purple armor everywhere rather than going on actual missions.

DarkKnight>> Hey, Dragoon.
DarkKnight>> We're going to go kill a monster.
DarkKnight>> You want in?
Dragoon>> Sorry. I can't.
Dragoon>> I need to hide a bunch of my armor in boxes.
DarkKnight>> Oh... Kay...
Dragoon>> This is going to be awesome.
DarkKnight>> Yeah... Sure.
DarkKnight>> Well, we'll be over here. Killing the thing.
Dragoon>> So awesome.

What the hell?

At least tell me it's the armor of ONE of the last Dragoons. Give me something to work with.

Tell me there were legions of the bastards leaving their shit everywhere.

C'mon.

...

I really need to start letting this shit go.

16 Comments:

At 8:33 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Dragoon ftfw!!!!!

 
At 8:34 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

oh and first

 
At 9:55 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Maybe the last dragoon got bored after getting HIS artifact set.

 
At 10:27 PM, Blogger Oldy said...

I was a black mage, Shantotto just gave us old gear like "pfft take this its old and ratty anyways" makes me wonder how big her closet is.

 
At 6:55 AM, Blogger Bufuman said...

Dragoons are awesome. Whenever I have the time to get back into this game, that's the class I'm going for.

 
At 11:08 AM, Blogger Thalandor46 said...

I dont think AF is anywhere near as bad as the first time you arrive in undiscovered locations, like Sky or Lufaise Meadows. "Wow, this amazing new place which has never been seen by anyone in modern day Vanadiel...hey look! Windy has conquest! /wave Conquest NPCs". I lol'd the first time I witnessed that one.

 
At 1:23 PM, Blogger semele said...

You raid the closet of the last Dragoon. But not being greedy, you take only one set of clothes, leaving the rest for others.

 
At 4:25 PM, Blogger Animayhem said...

I tried FFXI a while back, played for 2 weeks then got hurt and had surgery. When I came back I found out I had to start all over (3 months and have to start over, what is Sony thinking !!). So, reading the blog really doesn't helping with the idea of buying the set all over again, lol. Though the Dragoon class does sound cool. I was thinking though, a random name generator for items would be funny. I have the epic set of Blogger Power, or the lost set of Anonymous boys.

 
At 7:38 PM, Blogger Tyler said...

One thing that's always bugged me about Artifact Armor is the fact that most of it sucks for the job that needs to use it. It'd be nice if the armor was at least useable to Lv.75 so you could actually look more like a Dragoon or Thief or whatever.

Me, I'm a Thief wearing a red and black harness, light brown subligar, light brown leggings, and black leather gloves. Yes, because Thieves wore bright red and bright brown all the time, didn't they? And don't even get me started on the Thieves that wear the lolTurban...

 
At 1:09 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Tyler - If you look back to earily 2004 HNM fights you'll notice ~90%ish of the people fighting the mobs are wearing their AF gear at 75, this is because at the time it was good. As time progressed and new items came and people crafting new items became an option AF slowly started to fade out and now in 2008 you'll be the gimp one in a party at level 60 if you are still using AF.. Oh, how times change

 
At 2:04 AM, Blogger T.L. said...

how is it "the last dragoon" anyway if there are so many running around nowadays?

 
At 7:43 AM, Blogger Tyler said...

random-

Yeah, I know what you mean. I was around back in those days. But really, the AF never was all that useful in the first place; there was just no equipment back then capable of rivalling it. It's just too bad because even most Relic sucks. And for Thief's sake, it doesn't even look Thief-esque. Going from black and bright red to black and blue?

 
At 7:54 PM, Blogger Leut said...

Frankly, I think THF AF should look more along the lines of NIN AF. Or at least makes it all black with the look of pouches and pockets for all the tools of the trade.


Oh....and don't forget the scroll tubes full of contracts on people's lives.

 
At 5:48 AM, Blogger Ama said...

When I first got my dragoon AF, people kept /checking me. Like seriously, all the time checking. I mean, come on...I'm walking around in a bright purple suit with a seven foot pointy stick strapped to my back, it's not like anyone could confuse me with a level 20 MNK or something.

 
At 7:00 PM, Blogger Jack said...

This post brings to mind a saying: *ahem* "Always remember that you are unique... Just like everyone else."

 
At 3:28 PM, Blogger Rwn said...

hmmm it would seem you haven't experienced the loot system of asheron's call. brilliant... randomly generated armor with random stats and look... no two pieces alike o.0 omg amazing i know.... except for quest gear that shit is the same just like your last dragoon armor

 

Post a Comment

<< Home