Sunday, September 17, 2006

Randomness

Okay, today my mind was officially destroyed. Any semblance of rational thought is forever tainted by the weirdness that I saw today.

I was out shopping today. We had run out of certain luxeries (such as food) and I was forced to go out into the world and interact with other human beings.

Now, I'm not going to mention the name of the store I was in. I'll just give you a hint.

The name of the store began with a W.

And it rhymed with Wal-mart.

You'll never crack that code

Anyway, I had wandered into the Halloween aisle and on one of the displays there was a five foot skeleton. A five foot skeleton dressed as a pirate.

This, in and of itself, was not terribly odd. Given this year's pirate craze, it was almost normal.

Then someone walking by hit a button on the skeleton.

And he started to sing.

Okay... A singing skeleton. I guess some people might find that amusing. Still not terribly odd.

What did he sing? A sea shanty? A sailor's tune?

No.

He was singing "Low Rider".

Yes, as in "All my friends know the low rider."

That was when my brain imploded. All rational thought broke down as I tried to comprehend a new dimension of random insanity.

Who would buy this thing?

Better yet, who would design this thing?

The fact that any human being could create such a thing and then put it on the market makes me seriously doubt both their company and the IQ of the general populace.

I literally stood there for five minutes trying to comprehend it.

My entire faith in humanity (as it was) was so damaged that I simply could not interact with another person in the store.

I laid everything on the floor, turned, walked straight out the door, and drove right home.

Later, when my mental stability (as it was) had been restored, I reflected that leaving so qucikly was probably not the best way to handle the situation.

Especially considering Susan was somewhere else in the store at the time.

I hope she had cab fare.

6 Comments:

At 8:58 AM, Blogger Justine said...

I've seen that skeleton at wal-marts in the USA but we don't have it in Canada. But I agree, that is mind numbing XD

 
At 9:50 AM, Blogger thoby123 said...

Never been to Wal-Mart, so can't say anything on this.
As usual, good post Dave.

 
At 5:31 PM, Blogger Kite said...

Coming this Christmas: A skeleton, dressed as Santa, singing "Low Rider".

Something tells me this will happen in about 2 months. So Dave, stay away from the mart for a long time. There is an opening between Christmas and Easter.

 
At 5:46 PM, Blogger Kite said...

oh, one quick other note...

After I read Notkesirahonest's comment: I thought we Dutchies had it bad with christmas shopping starting this month and easter eggs in January. /comfort

 
At 5:58 PM, Blogger azuza001 said...

I can honestly beat that. A chain of stores here in Ohio has already started selling Christmas stuff. And they even went on the local news (CBS of course) and said "We just wanted to get a jump on the competition" Well, I want to get the jump on you some time buddy, and beat the hell out of you with a candy cane. IT'S STILL SEPTEMBER YOU SOB! Lol.

Stores now days, I lose faith in humanity.

 
At 8:30 PM, Blogger Justine said...

Pffft Christmas? Places here have had Christmas stuff since August! That's just sad ._.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home