Tuesday, August 22, 2006

A Shout Out

I'd just like to send a major shout out to the GMs over at Blizzard. I realize we play different games, but you guys are cool in my book.

As many of you may already know, the WoW GMs have started suspending people for making stupid forum posts, particularly those pertaining to the addition of new realms (ie. servers).

I applaud you.

Up to this point, I have been forced to limit my special brand of "customer service" to the game itself or mailing the occasional incendiary device. You guys have gone above and beyond, making players responsible for stupidity outside of the game.

That shit is brilliant.

I mean, it's not as direct as an explosive arriving via mail, but there's a certain finesse to it that I appreciate.

If WoW were not an immensely inferior product, I might even consider playing it.

Just kidding, guys.

I'd never play WoW.

Anyway, this new initiative inspired me to be more proactive in my efforts to stem the tide of idiocy that runs rampant through our (better) game. It's time for [GM]Dave to go out and find the unwashed and uneducated masses.

Up until now, I had always considered forums as being separate entities to the game. Finally, I see that they can be so much more.

Preemptive strike, bitches.

See, there's abeen a certain type of forum post that's always annoyed the hell out of me. I don't know what causes people to post such a retarded question, but it keeps coming up over and over and over again.

And over.

It's the "Why don't they make a server for _________ only?" where you fill in the blank with the group of your choosing.

Let's look at a few of these in detail, shall we?

Why don't they make a server for English people only?

Because we hate you.

Why don't they make a server for Japanese people only?

Well... Japanese people don't like you either and it makes them giggle when we treat you poorly.

Seriously, do you think we're made of servers? Those bastards are really freakin' expensive. We can't just go out and pick up a couple more at lunch just because you asked us to.

I can just imagine that now.

[GM]Dave>> Uh oh, sir.
[GM]Dave>> They're asking for another server?
Supervisor>> What for?
[GM]Dave>> They want a roleplaying-only server.

Supervisor>> It's a roleplaying game.
Supervisor>> They're all roleplaying servers.
[GM]Dave>> But, sir, you don't understand the gravity of the situation.
[GM]Dave>> They're making FORUM POSTS!
Supervisor>> Oh Christ.
Supervisor>> We'd better go to Best Buy right away.

I know, I know. It's just so hard for you to interact with people from groups outside your own.

Hell, you might even have to learn something about them.

Ugghh. It's unimaginable.

Today, inspired by my brothers and sisters over at WoW, I decided to take the first step. Why wait for them to make a GM call when you can take them by surprise?

Luckily, the first person to make yet another one of these moronic posts was kind enough to include his character information.

Fish... Check.

Barrel... Check.

Gun... Check.

[GM]Dave>> Hail, Adventurer.
[GM]Dave>> I understand you'd like to donate a server.
Player>> Wait...
Player>> Me?!
[GM]Dave>> Yes, you.
[GM]Dave>> We all just read your forum post about needing an English only server.
[GM]Dave>> I'm sure the rest of the community will thank you.
[GM]Dave>> Now, how would you like to pay for that server?
Player>> I didn't offer to buy a server.
Player>> I was saying we need it and that you guys should buy more
[GM]Dave>> ...
[GM]Dave>> What kind of sick joke is this?
[GM]Dave>> You dangle a new server in front of us and then yank it away?
[GM]Dave>> You disgust me.
Player>> I never said I'd pay for the server.
[GM]Dave>> Oh, so we're just supposed to give you a server?
[GM]Dave>> Out of the kindness of our hearts?
Player>> It would be better for everyone.
[GM]Dave>> No.
[GM]Dave>> It'd be better for you.
Player>> Come on.
Player>> Everyone would benefit from an English only server.
[GM]Dave>> Holy crap! You've convinced me!
[GM]Dave>> I cannot stand against such a logical argument.
Player>> You could at least try it out?
[GM]Dave>> What do you mean?
Player>> Take a small sampling of the FFXI population.
Player>> And give them an English only server.
[GM]Dave>> Hmmm...
[GM]Dave>> I suppose we could try that.

*warp*

Player>> ...
Player>> Where am I?
[GM]Dave>> I transferred you to a test server.
[GM]Dave>> Congratulations. You're a sample.
Player>> Oh.
Player>> When do the other people get here?
[GM]Dave>> ... Other people?

Seems the English only server idea didn't pan out.

At least... I don't think it did. I kind of just left him on it and went back to crafting.

I'll remember to go check on him later.

Or run a magnet over the server.

Whatever.

6 Comments:

At 9:00 PM, Blogger Goblin Smithy said...

No, it was an actual test server we have. It's for running special events and playtesting new additions.

We don't really use Mordion Gaol on that server, though, so he should be there for the next three to four years.

 
At 10:08 PM, Blogger Kerensky said...

First I would like to say I am happy that I didn’t read another “wow I made comment #1” cause that’s like reading I want to comment but am thought deprived.

idk, my personal opinion was and has been that it would be easier if more ppl were on a server not less.. Which I say knowing that efforts are made every year to do as such and to great measure accomplish this task.

ok ok too nice.. stupid = ban as ban = evolution of ffxi=gmdave=ffxi equivalent to god.

 
At 11:40 PM, Blogger Pascal said...

there are too much FFXI servers... c'mon, who needs 35 servers. just put everybody on one single giant server. I can donate you the hardware. I have here a 486 33mhhz with 32 MILIONS of bytes of RAM, only for you!

 
At 11:16 PM, Blogger Alexandrious said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 11:19 PM, Blogger Alexandrious said...

Sorry to say but ill tell you all why people want US Only/EU Only based servers or what not. After playing thru FFXI Twice *Started and got to high end in release, and started over again on another server, got to high end, saw the state of raiding then dropped it* I clearly seen why people request for these kinda servers.

Its because the Japanese players are too damn hardcore. Not hardcore as in skill, just hardcore cuz they can stay up 18-20 hours a day, and go day by day with just 3-5 hours of sleep, or they take shifts, yes actual shifts, to keep a Alliance force on 24/7 to camp out hnms and bosses, or other rare spawns keeping them from US players and what not.

Not only that, but theirs a 3-5 second latency on the Mobs/Kings spawns for anyone not living in Japan. For the Japanese players though they appear the instant their timed to appear, and then their Bot programs, yes, they use Bot/Macro programs, snatch the mob immediately, beating the bot programs american players use every time.

I severely dont support the use of these third party programs, I wish I can blow them all to hell, but they exist, and SE has done absolutely nothing about them. Theirs been plenty of evidence of their use, yet their was no investigation, one such evidence is that JP players on most servers, never ever get the Kings spawn so long as its the normal spawn, but when the king spawns, they "Magically" always get it.

You can argue this all you want, ive seen it done with my own eyes in two different servers, and heard forum posts and banter bout the same thing happening on 7 other servers before I quitted ffxi for good. I will NOT play a game that forces you to be as super hardcore as certain other players just to be able to advance your character and get the gear you always wanted. It took this one paladin I knew whom was the leader of his own uber LS an entire YEAR to get the Koenig BP. All because the JP guilds whos paladins all had the friggen bp, kept taking the kings out of spite, outfitting their members 5th or 6th lv 75th job in Kings Gear.

I left before the third expansion, I have no clue what that expansion offers to the item table now, but this is the main reason why people want an English only server. Cuz 7/10 if a English Based LS got everything they want from a certain mob and they keep their membership contained to 40 people or less, they will move off from the boss mob and let other ls's have their share on it.

Not japanese players though, they will take em, using their advantage of the latency and bot programs, and make themselves hated and not give a damn. Ill tell you this though GM Dave, I and bout 30 or so others I known since I quitted FFXI would all Renew our subscriptions if their was a English only server or two freshly released, and I bet SE would get a thousand or so new/renewed subscriptions if they released said servers.

Deny it all you want, but its friggen truth, youd have to either be an idiot, or not played endgame period on ffxi to not see this truth. Nuff said good day to you sir.

 
At 11:29 PM, Blogger Alexandrious said...

Before ya spew anything else, this game is apart of SEs business, and im sure if putting in 1 or 2 english only servers, NO TRANSFERs, for their online product, they would make more then enough money to cover the server costs and maintenance, hell the costs would be little compared to how much they would get each month, get more subs, alot more subs, and in the end, all it matters is what makes the most money.

SE made their share of big mistakes before, not releasing English based servers after so many people complain, send feeback bout it, and post for em, is a really, really, stupid mistake.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home