Monday, August 14, 2006

EMOtes

It seems that this is becoming a spontaneous theme week.

I didn't wake up one morning and say "Hey, I think I'll do an Emo week or something." Apparently, the emo community has taken time away from dying their hair black and listening to bad music, to come out and piss me off.

Yay me.

Tonight's installment relates to one of the most heinous crimes that a player can perpetrate. It transcends such petty annoyances as MPKing, gil selling, or third party software.

It is the emo emote.

DUN DUN DUNNNNNNNNNNNN

I mean, what the hell is wrong with people?

The emote command was designed to add a new level of exposition to interpersonal communication. It was intended to convey emotions (hence the name) without dialogue.

It was NOT designed so that you can ramble on about how dark your whatever is or how your soul aches yada yada yada.

Seriously. FFXI is not the place for your emo stupidity.

That's what MySpace is for.

Do you have any idea how irritating it is to party next to someone using retarded emotes?

Do you?

Today, I was leveling one of my lower level jobs on my main and I was in a party just outside Dulkfutt's Tower in Qufim.

Everything was going smoothly until one of our melees had to leave. Something about having to go get his insulin or something.

Some people.

We quickly pick up a replacement and get back to work.

And then the emotes started.

Player looks up at the sky and shields his eyes.
Player shakes the blood from the blade.
Player>> Prepare to taste cold steel, Clipper.
Player raises his scythe in the air, watching it glint in the sun.

I think I actually blacked out there for a second. The depth of retardation actually caused my brain to reboot.

Once I had regained my senses, I quickly sent a tell to the party leader and then logged out.

A couple of key presses later and [GM]Dave appears in Qufim.

[GM]Dave>> Hail, Adventurer.
[GM]Dave>> I'm afraid I have to ask you to stop.
Player>> Stop what?
[GM]Dave>> The emotes.
[GM]Dave>> Your damned emotes are a crime.
[GM]Dave>> A crime against intelligence.
Player>> That's not fair.
Player>> I think they're cool.
[GM]Dave>> Just listening to you gave me a brain tumor.
[GM]Dave>> Now, I don't want to jump to any conclusions.
[GM]Dave>> But your emotes cause cancer.
Player>> Hey!
Player>> That's kind of harsh.
[GM]Dave>> Only kind of?
[GM]Dave>> I must not be being clear.
[GM]Dave>> Your emotes make people not want to be alive anymore.
Player>> It's a free country.
[GM]Dave>> Tsk, tsk, tsk.
[GM]Dave>> What are the schools teaching young people?
[GM]Dave>> This is not a free country.
Player>> Yes, it is.
Player>> America is a democracy.
[GM]Dave>> Silly, silly boy.
[GM]Dave>> This isn't America.
[GM]Dave>> Welcome to the United States of Dave.
[GM]Dave>> We put the fun in dictatorship.
Player>> There's no fun in dictatorship.
[GM]Dave>> You catch on quick.
Player>> Listen.
Player>> It's my emote.
Player>> I'll use it if I want to.
[GM]Dave>> Isn't that cute?
[GM]Dave>> I love it when they try and get tough.
[GM]Dave>> Say it again.
Player>> It's my emote.
Player>> I'll...

*warp*

Area: Mordion Gaol

Player>> ...
Player>> Oh crap.
[GM]Dave raises his finger in the air.
[GM]Dave holds it, carefully, above the delete key.
Player>> Wait, wait.
Player>> I'm sorry.
[GM]Dave watches his hand descend.
Player>> Please don't do this.
[GM]Dave>> The day's end is at hand.
[GM]Dave>> And by "The day", I mean "Your account".
[GM]Dave>> And by "End", I mean "Banning."
[GM]Dave>> And by "At hand", I mean...
[GM]Dave>> Well... That was what I meant.
[GM]Dave's finger waivers, a life hanging in the balance.
Player>> Can't you give me a second chance?
[GM]Dave>> I could.
[GM]Dave>> But this finger is getting awfully heavy.
[GM]Dave inhales oxygen.
Player>> Oh come on.
[GM]Dave thinks you're ugly.
Player>> Quit it.
[GM]Dave may have slept with your mother.
Player>> This is crazy.
Player>> You can't do this.
[GM]Dave's finger drops like the blade of a guillotine.
Player>> NOOOOOOO!
[GM]Dave was only kidding that time.
[GM]Dave got you.
[GM]Dave points at you and laughs.
Player>> Stop that.
Player>> At least you were only kidding.
[GM]Dave didn't say he was only kidding.
Player>> Yes, you did.
[GM]Dave said he was only kidding that time.
Player>> Damn.
[GM]Dave likes dashing people's hopes.

After that, the party was much quieter.

I like quiet.

15 Comments:

At 8:18 PM, Blogger REDKINOKO said...

Hahaha Emotards. Some people really should reconsider having kids. Our gene pool is polluted enough.

 
At 4:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 4:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Was he Elvaan by chance? i dont know what it is, but it seems whenever i meet a dark knight with emo macros like that, they're almost always elvaan. I was leveling in yuhtunga a few months ago, i swear i wanted to rip out the intestine of the drk in our pt and use them to strangle him to death..

his Ws macro..

" yea tho i walk thru the valley of the {Shadow of Death}, i shall fear no *insert name of current mob here* "

And i haaaate.. people who use /say or /shout macros, the dooms is always the worst it seems.. i've seen monks in valkurm with /sh macros "Get over Here!" that make me want to warp and switch to a hi-lvl job and just train marchelute on them.


Keep up the good work [GM]Dave, a viral cleansing is just what the servers need.

 
At 6:41 AM, Blogger Wolftin said...

Ok this guy just needed a good old fashion dragon feeding. ;-; we have gone some time with out a feeding. Do you have Jormy on a diet?? Your emotes were freaking great though. Even with out the Emo crap that he had he needed to be feed for just actting like everyone in the game is in teh USA. Another classic for what seems to be "Emo Killer Week" on [GM]Dave. Not like there an any short supply -.-

 
At 11:36 AM, Blogger creature124 said...

@zychion

does it say in the dark knights description 'dark knights are emo?' no it dosent, so therefore he WASNT roleplaying. get over it. geez.

 
At 11:39 AM, Blogger WanderingJ said...

Ohoho... MAN! I've been having a crappy day today, and you just made it all the better.

I'm still giggling as I type this. Nice work.

 
At 12:07 PM, Blogger Justin said...

Er...he didn't once say anything about darkness, night, black, being sad, or how much his parents didn't understand him. I'm failing to see how this is even remotely emo and anything but a totally gratuitous (ab)use of abilities on Dave's part.

 
At 5:47 PM, Blogger Dyamalos said...

You guys aren't getting the big picture. The thing about /em is that ANYONE withing the /say radius will see it. He was annoying not only his party, but the parties and players around him.

While it may not be a complete emo macro, it still would be annoying and could be considered harassment. Unless it's a macro for a 2H or any of the job abilities like Flee where you don't use it all the time, then I say it's fine.

Hell my NIN 2H macro is a shout of "What does this button do?!" but I don't use it all the time.

 
At 12:22 AM, Blogger Pyro3000 said...

ouch man. that's just harsh.

I liked the slept with your mother emote though lol

 
At 12:54 AM, Blogger Pascal said...

what about just kicking the emo out of party? less time wasting :)

 
At 12:56 AM, Blogger Pascal said...

oh by the way, next time i'll read "Hail Adventurer", i'll start shouting that [GM]Dave is emo! :)

 
At 5:43 AM, Blogger Goblin Smithy said...

Some of you are missing the big picture here.

Roleplaying is all well and good when it does not interfere with partying.

Someone using a four line emote macro everytime they have 100% TP is excessive. It becomes chat spam and is entirely pointless.

 
At 5:48 AM, Blogger Pascal said...

Someone using a four line emote macro everytime they have 100% TP is excessive. It becomes chat spam and is entirely pointless.

Do u have any idea about what would happen if you ban everyone doing pointless things? :)

 
At 6:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do u have any idea about what would happen if you ban everyone doing pointless things? :)

Yes, a quiet & fun game filled with less idiots.

 
At 12:51 PM, Blogger Goblin Smithy said...

I don't pick on RP'ers. That would be kind of stupid.

This is a roleplaying game. People will roleplay. This is not rocket surgery.

I would, however, like it if people could pretend to not be retarded. It's when their natural stupidity shines through that I become angered.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home