Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Fan Club Week!

It is that time again, my people. Time for me to show my appreciation for you readers.

It is you people and you people alone that keep me from going on an insane killing spree during which I would lay waste to the useless husks that pervade our society.

Also, if people stopped reading, I'd be talking to myself.

That'd be kind of sad.

I especially appreciate the people who go out of their way to support this blog just because they like it.

So to thank all of the readers who donated five dollars or more this month, I'll be sending out a fresh new giftpack filled with goodies. It'll include some exclusive stories, some fun pictures, detailed plans on my conquest for world domination, a fan club membership card, and some other cool items.

Wait...

Did I mention the world domination thing?

You should probably ignore that.

Also, as always, the person who donates the most in any given month will be given the opportunity to take part in the blog. Meet [GM]Dave, impress your friends, get eaten by a dragon.

Note: if this actually impresses your friends, that's really sad. You may want to take the time to make new friends.

Anyway, this week I thought it would be fun to take a look back at my first few days in the game.

Before they gave me my god-like powers.

Can you imagine that I actually had to go through Valkurm without a dragon to kill people?

How do you people do it?

My first day was... odd.

I was playing on PC, so I went out and picked up a controller to make it a little easier.

Unfortunately, I had spent most (read: nearly all) of my money on alcohol and had to settle for a "budget" controller.

It had no analog sticks. Only a D-pad.

This, I would learn, was bad.

While setting up the controller, I had to set a certain axis to certain movements like moving my character or moving the camera.

My controller only had one axis.

Me, being an idiot, set my character movement, camera movement, and menu control all to the same axis.

Hilarity did not ensue.

Every movement caused my character to move and the camera to spin.

Imagine my excitement (read: nausea) at running through Port San d'Oria with the camera angle constantly spinning in every direction.

Yeah...

Fun.

Once I figured out how to calibrate the controller properly (read: yanked that bitch out of my USB port and then introduced it to my good friend, Mr. Hammer), I set out to hone my skills as a noble warrior.

I quickly dashed out of the city to join the battle against the hordes of evil monsters.

What evil would I face outside the city walls? Orcs? Dragons?

Bunnies.

Yes, bunnies.

I had to spend my first day killing bunnies.

When I find the Dev with the Monty Python sense of humor, I'm going to slap him to death.

This is how my very first conversation went.

Dave: Does anyone know what I do now?
Player>> You kill monsters to gain experience points.
Dave>> And where might I find these monsters?
Player>> Well, you're level 1...
Player>> So you should fight bunnies.
Dave>> ...
Dave>> Are you freakin' kidding?
Player>> No.
Player>> You level off of bunnies to start.
Dave>> And this is normal?
Dave>> Are bunnies a threat?
Player>> Well... no.
Dave>> Do they at least have rabies?
Dave>> Rabid bunnies might make sense.
Player>> Not really.
Player>> They can be kind of nasty.
Dave>> ... Wow.
Dave>> Bunnies with a bad disposition.
Dave>> I shake in terror.
Player>> Look... just make with the bunny killing.
Dave>> Right away.
Dave>> This fluffy scourge must be dealt with.
Dave>> Seriously. Are there any other monsters around here?
Player>> There are worms.
Dave>> Worms?
Player>> And beetles.
Player>> Oh! And sheep.
Dave>> Yay.
Dave>> I'm attacking a petting zoo.
Dave>> I suppose my first mission is to kill a box of kittens.
Player>> Everyone does it.
Dave>> ...
Dave>> That is so sad.

I felt very stupid attacking bunnies.

Very stupid.

And then I got my ass kicked by a bunny.

Very, very stupid.

I realize a new player has to start slow, but can we maybe come up with something better than bunnies and worms?

Like anything.

It's like they actively tried to find the two least dangerous animals on our planet and make them our first fighting experience.

It's really hard to feel proud about kicking some bunny ass.

It's even harder to feel proud about getting murdered by one.

Stupid rabbits.

28 Comments:

At 8:55 PM, Blogger Kenny said...

I was killing mutant bunnies and crazy walking onions. Can't forget a killer bee or two!

 
At 9:55 PM, Blogger Kerensky said...

isn't that how most of the game goes rabits lv 1-76 (Wild Rabbit-Tropical Rarab) and worms lv 1-73 (Tunnel Worm-Mountain Worm [NM])

for me it was more the I'm killing a bird .. and oh now it's night.. bat.. ya bats...

oh well.. I have proven drinking improves dynamis drop rate.. how did you cap your drinking skill?

later time to raise my skill lv befor dynamis tomorrow just 3 more bottles to go.

 
At 10:07 PM, Blogger Ozzadar said...

Knightxl said...
well maby u should play WoW its soo much better than FFXI aculy FFXI sux but i like wah u do to ppl i give ya props for that oo and i got a question for u can u go to any server cuz if so i would like it if u fed my little borther to your pet dragon i think that would be funny as hell but ya dude u got some bitchen way with ppl i would almost aculy start playin FFXI jsut to mess with u and get u to feed me to a dragon lol well ya

o an dif my spelling pises u off i have dislexia so im screwed in that department


Yeah, blame your dumb ass spelling on some bullshit disease that they just use to make it look like "it's not your fault"... well maybe if you stopped playing WoW, where nearly everyone seems to have this "Dislexia" problem( which btw you managed to spell perfectly for the biggest word in your post) you wouldn't be such a dumbass and might know how to spell correctly...

And btw, I completly sympathize... I could magic the hell out of Bunnies as a BLM but they managed to kick my ass.

 
At 11:28 PM, Blogger Dyamalos said...

Bastok has better low level monsters. We may still have worms, and the giant bees might not be much at first, but at least they become MANEATING bees later.

Also, I'm still waiting on someone to tell me what the hell a quadav is... I assume it means giant, mutated, ugly turtle.

 
At 11:59 PM, Blogger Squirt said...

I like fighting bunnies! I go out and Grrr! Wow! and then they kick me and I stab them until they play nice!

Reeree says she is surprised that you can play World of Warcraft over AOL, only the way she said it I don't think she's really surprised.

Okay BYE!

No, wait, my boss didn't fight bunnies when she was little. She was in Windurst, like Reeree, and she had to stab Bumblebees and Mandragora! Mandragora are SO cute, they go "Ugh!" when you poke them with a knife, and the spin around and do funny moves. I just want to squeeze them but they make me super sleepy.

Okay, bye.

P.S. The Elvaan are nicer to you if you start here in San d'Oria. Otherwise they call you foreigner and spit at you when they say it.

Okay, bye for real!

 
At 12:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 5:36 AM, Blogger Bellemithra said...

HAHA Killer bunniesssss!!!! Poor noobie [GM]Dave. Little did you know you would be taking over the world. Or um.... yeah.. >.>

 
At 8:43 AM, Blogger creature124 said...

imagine for a moment what would have happened if dave had simply given up on FFXI after being killed by a bunny...he never would have got his job as a GM and we wouldnt have this blog to read.

it pains me to even think about it

 
At 9:55 AM, Blogger Justine said...

I remember my first day too... I was killed by a worm in the ronfaure XD I didn't even stand a chance ._. Kinda didn't help that I was a black mage using a dagger though (/.\)

 
At 5:25 PM, Blogger Kerensky said...

I feel so neglected no one looks at my blog or my ffxi uncovered pic of the day. /cry.. oh well I'll just have to find better stuff to post :D

when in doubt do a b or c

a drink
b light fire
c .. my blog gives a clue for C

 
At 3:35 AM, Blogger Endy Mist said...

Top Organic Keto develop a sense of purpose in her pursuits. When the person is able to connect her efforts toward

 
At 5:02 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Slim X Genie Keto A lot of people want to lose weight in the quickest way possible and are often fascinated when they use a weight loss product or service that produces a rapid weight loss in the first few days or weeks. While it might be appealing to think that they are at last on the right track and that they will finally be able to stick to it and lose unwanted body weight, there is however a flip-side to this rapid weight loss experienced.

 
At 6:06 AM, Blogger Endy Mist said...

SF180 Keto Keeping track of your progress, including any slow or stalled loss periods, will let you see what helps you to succeed, what causes problems, and when to celebrate. Don't compare yourself to anyone else, even if they are following the exact same plan as you. Everyone loses weight at a different rate, due to metabolism, muscle tone and body type differences.

 
At 4:01 AM, Blogger Endy Mist said...

Super Cut Keto Although these tips may seemenough. You have to take action in order to change your life, and there is no shortcut. A weight loss program can help you get the weight off, but you have to keep it off. It is not easy to lose weight, and no-one takes kindly to change, but if you want to improve your health and well-being, you are going to have to put some effort into becoming healthy. The results will, however, definitely be worth it.

 
At 4:05 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Primo Boost Keto The best way to lose weight is not to crash diet or have bursts of exercise, but to make slow changes. The best way to make these changes and stick to them is to make a weight loss program. This can be used to set out your targets, how you are going to achieve them, and changes as they occur.

 
At 6:27 AM, Blogger Opti Farms Keto said...

Enhanced keto Go easy on the salt, limit high fat foods, replace red meat with lean poultry and fish, and drink lots of water. Don't skip meals, especially breakfast, as that's the meal that wakes up your metabolism and gets it going for the rest of the day.

 
At 5:29 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Natura Beaute If you want your skin to reveal all its beauty, be radiant and healthy you must follow few basic steps. First of all you must understand that skin beauty is deeply connected with your diet. Thus, if you are eating dangerous conditions. For this reason you must radically change your diet and eat only healthy and organic food. Your skin will be healthier and will look better. Also, if you are suffering from acne or any similar skin condition you will see how it gets healed.

 
At 6:11 AM, Blogger Endy Mist said...

Weight loss quotes Next, we'll discuss the last and most debilitating issue that can create cravings and urges to eat. A great many people are compelled to overeat because of deep emotional reasons. Staying overweight can to continue to overeat, so they will remain overweight. It is often very difficult to overcome, because most compulsive emotional overeaters do not recognize this aspect in themselves.

 
At 4:44 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Keto Bodytone Before you even look at a diet plan or exercise schedule, look at why you want to lose weight. If you want to improve else. Health reasons should be foremost, because being overweight can cause health issues that will be with you for the rest of your life.

 
At 4:16 AM, Blogger Endy Mist said...

Most expensive laptop There are four basic types of laptop and the two most popular types are such as ultra light and tablet laptop. Anyway, the first type provides the better portability than some other laptops. It is smaller in size and also less powerful than others. It is great for traveling and let you feel great for its easy care and maintenance. What about the tablet laptop? Recently, it strikes the market as new trend and comes in very expensive price. Apple has released their iPad as the new invention of amazing gadget.

 
At 4:25 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Ultra Keto 360 can help you lose the initial pounds you need to shed, and give you advice on how to keep them off, but the rest is up to you. Going straight back to your old habits is not going to help you stay

 
At 5:33 AM, Blogger Endy Mist said...

Best android wear smartwatches 45mm steel case keeps this amazing piece strength to run. The two-tone golden and blackish strap glows on his wrist and also embraces it with grip. A date display is visible in the middle of 4 and 5 o'clock positions. Every component part of this beautiful piece has been well crafted.

 
At 4:03 AM, Blogger Opti Farms Keto said...

Fast Burn Keto designed us to HEALTHILY use up this fat store when we don't have enough food. Fasting is how we were designed to use up our fat, so anyone who tells you weight loss through fasting is

 
At 5:22 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Ultra keto burn have coming in from food. So skipping breakfast, during a lower calorie intake period, allows you to burn excess fat. It's the way God designed us. When we were hunter-gatherers and we roamed the earth for the next food supply as nomads, there would be times where the winter would

 
At 5:29 AM, Blogger Delta Prime said...

Top Celebrity Snapchat Learn the art of writing articles, offering suggestions & ideas on LinkedIn & its various groups. How can you become a leader if you cannot communicate your ideas both verbally and in writing?

 
At 5:19 AM, Blogger Relixjohn said...

Fluconazole Diflucan For sale what is right and wrong about weight loss. When we reframe these thoughts from generally

 
At 6:18 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Aegis Vitality Keto Well, as a physician, I too have heard these things from nutritionists, dietitians, and other doctors and expert colleagues who still work under an old paradigm of what's right and wrong in dieting. I'm here to share a new paradigm to bust these myths so that you can lose weight safely and rapidly just as your body has been designed to do.

 
At 4:49 AM, Blogger Delta Prime said...

Kings of kung fu translations of Chinese History and Literature, transformed them into 'something rich and strange' (but definitely not Kung Fu, Qigong, Feng Shui etc) or replaced them with something else entirely. Alongside contemporary ethnocentrism, this militates against proper understanding of Chinese Culture, especially if such sources are considered authoritative, at our expense.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home