Wednesday, April 12, 2006

You Did Not Overbid

Alternate title: "A Fool and His Money..."

You did not overbid at the Auction House.

You didn't. It's not possible.

What happened was you bid an amount that was accepted in trade for a requested item. A seller placed an item on auction for a specified minimum purchase price and you either met or exceeded that amount.

If you accidentally bid more than you had intended, that is three things:

a) unfortunate

b) your own fault

c) not my damned fault

Yes, yes. There was lag. You thought you were bidding on another item. The sun was in your eyes.

Boo freakin' hoo.

The auction house system in Final Fantasy XI is designed so that a bidder may offer any amount for any item. That offer will then be accepted or rejected based on whether or not you have met a minimum price set by the seller.

The fact that you are too

a) slow
b) stupid
c) careless

is not our concern. You offered, they accepted. End of story.

Earlier today, a player filed a GM call about such an overbid.

GM Call Description: Overbid at Auction House

Now, usually, I would completely ignore this call and just throw a 72 hour suspension at them. Since I was in a good (read: cruel) mood, I decided to humor this person by answering.

[GM]Dave>> Hail, Adventurer. I greet you well.
Player>> hi
[GM]Dave>> So... apparently you're too slow to understand the AH system.
Player>> No. I overbid.
[GM]Dave>> You say tomato...
Player>> What?
[GM]Dave>> Nothing
[GM]Dave>> So... apparently you're too slow to understand the AH system.
Player>> No. I overbid.
Player>> I told you that.
[GM]Dave>> This is going to be a long day.
[GM]Dave>> So... apparently you're too slow to understand the AH system.
Player>> I OVERBID
[GM]Dave>> So... apparently you're too slow to understand the AH system.
Player>> Stop being a jerk. I overbid and I want my money back.
[GM]Dave>> Let me get this straight. You made a stupid bid.
[GM]Dave>> And now you want your money back just because you say so.
Player>> Yeah.
[GM]Dave>> (( I don't know how to answer that. ))
Player>> Just give me my 900,000 gil and you can have the sword.
[GM]Dave>> What kind of moron would pay 900,000 for that sword?
[GM]Dave>> I mean other than you.
Player>> Listen, you tard. Just FIX IT!
[GM]Dave>> No problem.
[GM]Dave>> Please wait.
Player>> Finally.

*dramatic pause*

[GM]Dave>> Okay, done.
Player>> About freakin' time.
[GM]Dave>> I have removed the rest of your gil to buy more swords.
[GM]Dave>> You will find them in your inventory.
Player>> WHAT?!
[GM]Dave>> And moghouse.
[GM]Dave>> And delivery box.
Player>> But I had millions of gil.
[GM]Dave>> Now you have swords.
[GM]Dave>> Lots of swords.
Player>> Wait... where's all of my gear?
[GM]Dave>> They were taking up space needed for your sword collection.
[GM]Dave>> Sacrifices had to be made.
Player>> GET ME YOUR SUPERVISOR!
[GM]Dave>> No problem.

*Another dramatic pause*

[SGM]Dave>> So... apparently you're too slow to understand the AH system.
[SGM]Dave>> Nice sword.
Player>> I want to file a complaint against you.
[SGM]Dave>> Would you like me to transfer you to our complaints manager?

*GLEE*

Player>> Yes. You're going to pay for this.

*Warp*

Jormungand hits Player for 8,533 points of damage.
Player was defeated by Jormungand.
Player falls to level 29.
Jormungand finds a Freakin' Sweet Sword on the Player.
Jormungand obtains
a Freakin' Sweet Sword.

[SGM]Dave>> You know, I never get tired of that.

Remember: you bid, you buy. If you overbid, you still buy.

Man up, take the hit, and learn from it.

Or get eaten by a dragon.

4 Comments:

At 7:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Jormungand :D

 
At 11:02 AM, Blogger K said...

[GM]Dave, you're my new hero >.>

 
At 6:42 PM, Blogger Jutsu said...

Soa found a friggin' sweet blog site on the net

Soa obtains a friggin' sweet blog site bookmark

 
At 5:47 PM, Blogger Christophe said...

What's sad is I bid 1.5m for a Tric scythe when I wasn't paying attention and thought I was bidding on an O.Scythe. All my LS Mates told me to call a GM, but why? I just had a good laugh, made some players day, and ate the loss.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home