Monday, March 01, 2010

Emergency Intermission

Okay, I want everyone to calm down and take a breath.

Inhale.

Exhale.

Now that we've taken a moment, perhaps we can discuss this rationally.

Yes, they are going to raise the level cap in FFXI. Yes, the level cap is going to be 99. Yes, they are merging servers. Yes, they are planning on making a number of job adjustments.

That's everything.

We can all calm down now.

Some of you may be wondering why they made this decision. Why would they, after years of vowing never to touch the level cap, suddenly decide to raise it to 99?

Is it to make the players happy?

Haha. No.

What are you? New?

Is it to bring in new players?

No, not really. New players really can't see much of a difference between 75 and 99 except that one is larger than the other.

Hint: It's the 99.

Is FFXI dying?

Shut up. Just shut up already.

So why, oh why, did they decide to do it?

I'll give you the one reason, the one ultimate reason behind this epic decision:

Forums.

FFXI forums have gotten boring as all hell lately. Back in the day, every board was on fire with people arguing about subs and leveling and what party should go where.

Lately, that shit has gotten kind of stale. Everyone knows the best subs for every job and everyone knows where to level when.

BORING.

We're gonna spice that shit up. Pretty soon, your favorite forum is going to be overrun with players asking what's the best sub for every job at level 99.

Your opinion doesn't count, you n00b. You're only level 75 on every job with full merits.

NOOB!

Do you know the best place for a level 84 Black Mage to level?

You don't?

EXACTLY!

Oh, oh. That guy in Whitegate with the best gear in the game who just walks around showing off?

Yeah, day after update, that shit is worthless.

Worthless.

Imagine the threads that guy will start.

HAHA! It will be GLORIOUS!

GLORIOUS!

Man, this is so plain, unadulterated evil, I'd almost think I came up with it.

I should check my sent e-mail. Drunk me may be smarter than I give him credit for.

16 Comments:

At 9:54 PM, Blogger Kahsha said...

Drunk you IS smarter than you give him credit for. This will still not make me want to start playing... again! I will patiently wait for XIV.

 
At 10:20 PM, Blogger Tadferd said...

This displeases me greatly. I if I didn't have friends playing this game I'd stop playing because of this.

 
At 10:59 PM, Blogger Shade said...

Awesome post! :)
Even though i stopped playing FFXI for a while now, i still read some news about it from time to time and i really couldn't see the point in raising the levelcap.
Thanks for explaining :)

 
At 11:00 PM, Blogger HeimiricIX said...

Oh god, is this for real? I've been away for a while... really?

Really!?

Ok... If only freaking SE would remove that credit card security whatever I could return...

I miss FFXI and this makes me want to play so bad... But meh... probably waiting for XIV will be best...

Probably.

 
At 6:23 AM, Blogger Tristan Kain said...

I'm not quite sure that sarcasm is quite the appropriate tack on this given -how much- of an uproar this announcement has caused...

This is basically going to turn into a repeat of the Mezraq vs. Thalassocrat argument magnified about a billionfold. I grant you that announcing these things they way they did was indeed intended to kick up a storm on the forums. The question is: Did they expect -this much- of it?

 
At 9:20 AM, Blogger MShake82 said...

Glad I got out when I did. I might have slit my throat after hearing this.

 
At 9:53 AM, Blogger Donny Walnuts said...

Did Susan get so pissed that she made you stop on day 3?

 
At 1:42 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hmm This make me think if you get to lvl 99 will they letyou get some stuff in FFXIV since getting to that would need you be active FFXI player hmm i wonder is SE thinking on increasing game if they are gonna replace with FFXIV hmm i smell something funny my "gamer"-sense is tingling with something about FFXI and FFXIV event

 
At 2:57 PM, Blogger Meeka said...

I feel more sorry for the people with 8 level 75's than I do for me with my whopping 2 jobs. Although I think I'm pissed about needing another 12 levels on NIN *sigh*. I did laugh though as I wandered past multiple bazaars selling great gear at blow-out prices. It's more work but who knows, it may be the best thing that's ever happened to FFXI. Or it could just be the beginning of the end. I for one will be hanging around to see how this unfolds >;)

 
At 3:42 PM, Blogger Kahsha said...

lol @ Donny Walnuts
spot on!

 
At 6:08 PM, Blogger Mil'bereth said...

This is not a way to drum up more players...if they wanted that, they wouldn't be consolidating servers. No, this is nothing more than an attempt to keep the players they still have left so they won't kill their FFXI accounts when FFXIV comes out. No, what they want is people playing both...preferably at the same time. I imagine since FFXIV is the new game, it will get the hands, while FFXI will get the stinkier lower set of digits playing it.

Frankly...its too little too late. After 8 years, I'm finally thinking of hanging up my AF for good.

I'll miss you San'd'Oria...but you're about it.

 
At 6:10 PM, Blogger Kulaudo said...

I don't get it. So there's going to be a new expansion with 24 levels worth of stuff to kill?

You know, this is why people hate warcraft.

 
At 8:12 PM, Blogger Sean Hughes said...

One thing I liked about FFXI is how they didn't raise the level cap every year. Meh... Not like I play it anymore. I just hope they don't pull stuff like this in FFXIV.

 
At 1:48 AM, Blogger Xzander said...

Well, regardless of what commodities may come of this from the mouths of other random people, I see your valid point and gladly welcome this change. Sure, there will be a lot [and I mean A LOT] of work to be done to adjust everything that needs to be, but HEY! I play the game, not design it. I'm not the one busting my ass to attempt to make the mob happy.

... ... ...

... I cant' wait to see the utter chaos! ^-^

 
At 10:24 PM, Blogger HeimiricIX said...

I don't get it... why everyone complains... I mean... is more game to play! MORE!!!!

A bigger world!!!!!!!!

New abilities, ws, gear, enemies... I'm confused... why everyone keeps playing if they don't even like it enough to be happy about it getting bigger...

This is not WoW And never will be. It's FFXI, it's level raise donde properly, it's the best damn thing it happened to FFXI in lots of years.

!

 
At 4:20 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Firstly, E+G, don't take this the wrong way, but you're the exact kind of person that needs to be fed to Jormy, and I can tell from just that one post. I had to sign up for an account just to say that.

Now where was I, oh right, a drunk GMDave is a happy GMDave. Behold the glories and frustrations of the upcoming level cap raise.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home