Wednesday, December 23, 2009

How Not To Be Retarded - Vol. 5

Make Time, Take Time

We are all very well aware that real life is more important than playing FFXI.

Probably.

I'm not going to say that's actually true, but people keep saying it, so we'll pretend. Basically, this is what everyone says right after they screw you over completely.

Hey, you've just spent three hours trying to get this group organized and out to the mission location. You're about to start when someone has to go.

Real life > FFXI.

The kids are sick or the wife is dead. The dog ran away or got ran over or something. The house is on fire.

Excuses, excuses.

The thing is emergencies don't actually occur that often. If you played FFXI for any length of time, you'd think the world was coming to an end with the number of people struck down with maladies and crises.

What actually happens is that someone joins a group knowing full well that they have very limited time. They assume that the entire thing will run smoothly and they will have time to get it done.

Then, when the inevitable delays involved with organizing any group of two or more people come about, they don't say anything. Maybe everything will work out and they'll have just enough time.

And they wait.

And wait.

And wait.

Then, when the whole group is finally ready to get to work, THAT's when they bother to tell everyone about the thing that just "came up".

Now, you've screwed over an entire group of people because you couldn't just man up and let them know ahead of time.

You never know, right? Maybe this incredibly hard mission will take less than the ten minutes you have left before you have to go.

Maybe the boss will give you candy when you're done.

Thins in this game take time. It's unavoidable.

Yes, it sucks. It sucks a lot. But that doesn't change the fact that it's true. You can't just ignore it and hope you can get everything done.

You are quite literally putting yourself above the rest of your group. That's not a good thing.

That's being retarded.

I know, I know. [GM]Dave is the most self-centered man on the face of the planet. Surely he is not putting the happiness of others above himself.

I can answer that with two valid points:

a) I only put myself above others because the suffering of others amuses me

b) you're not [GM]Dave

You are a regular person.

Or you should be.

You shouldn't ruin the day of 17 other people just because you wanted to get a mission done before you had to go to work.

That's not cool.

Sure, Real Life > FFXI.

But Not being retarded >>>>>> Real Life.

Suck on that math, bitches.

5 Comments:

At 12:25 AM, Blogger Salt said...

Yes, it sucks. It sucks a lot. But that doesn't change the fact that it's true. You can't just ignore it and hope you can get everything done.

Or you can QQ on forums until the developer makes it easier. >.>

What? It worked for WoW.

They even add a dungeon finder so you can just sign up and the server will allocate you a group.

And I saying that is a good thing. Life has been so much easier.

But given that SE is too lazy to even do simple upgrades to the client like add proper AA and AF support...

 
At 10:29 AM, Blogger Bufuman said...

I'm proud to say this was one lesson I already knew back when I played FFXI. If I had, say, an hour before I had something to do, I would either warn any parties I wanted to join about my limited time in advance, or I just went farming.

 
At 6:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

why don't you change your blog to how not to be ignorant.

 
At 12:15 AM, Blogger Mil'bereth said...

"Or you can QQ on forums until the developer makes it easier. >.>"

www.qcdn.org

;_; fest

 
At 6:37 AM, Blogger Piotr LA said...

I can see that you like to write. I love your posts, nice that I'm here.
Destinations for you

 

Post a Comment

<< Home