Monday, December 21, 2009

How Not To Be Retarded - Vol. 4

Listen To Other Players

I know. This advice is completely contradictory to yesterday's advice. Theoretically, if every just shut the f&%@ up, then you wouldn't have to listen to other people.

See, I'm allowed to contradict myself. I change my mind all the time and, even if I don't, many of my strongest opinions are entirely at odds with each other.

I truly believe that

1) people should shut the hell up

2) you should listen to others

Yeah. Try and figure that shit out.

Now, I'm not saying you should listen to anything that manages to escape from some moron's mouth. That would fall into a future theme week called "How To Be SuperMechaGundam Retarded."

Still, people can say a lot of smart shit when you're in a party.

They might play the job you're leveling. They might have more experience than you.

Hell, they might just be smarter than you.

Yes, that is a possibility.

Not smarter than me, of course, but that goes without saying.

Well, it could have gone without saying, but I do so enjoy pointing out how smart I am.

Your best bet is to listen to what other players say and then use your own experience to sift through it for anything useful. Sure, the majority of it is going to be remarkably idiotic bullshit, but every now and then you might stumble across something important.

Somewhere, buried beneath metric tons of retardation, you might just find something that could make you a better player.

Even a moron has to get lucky some time, right?

Give that monkey a keyboard and see what he can do. When he's not busy throwing his shit at you, he could be breaking off some serious knowledge.

I'm pretty sure that's how Brady Guides are written.

Minus the knowledge part.

Now, listening to others is not an easy skill to master. No, no. Every part of your brain will be straining to shut out the droning stupidity.

Should you, however, manage to survive the onslaught, you may be rewarded for your troubles.

Probably.

Maybe.

Then, by all of us listening to the good advice of others, we can all become better players.

And THEN, I can go back to ignoring all of your asses and trying to get me some exp.

9 Comments:

At 10:59 PM, Blogger Dorian Mode said...

And, of course, we're all prepared to listen especially well to you, Dave.

I feel improved already,

 
At 2:33 AM, Blogger Nepherael said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 2:35 AM, Blogger Nepherael said...

Hey Dave, just wanna say your blog rocks man! Just came back to ffxi. First login since feb 27th, don't know what was wrong with my brain. Nepherael on Titan if it means anything to you... it didn't did it?

Take it easy man, and keep writing i've kept up with you all along even through my ffxi breaks. If you're feeling extra charitable drop by Titan and feed me to jormy. It'd be awesome to meet the writer whose comedy is in the right place.

 
At 5:08 AM, Blogger Salt said...

Overall I balance my STFU and advise giving.

First I watch, if the person doesn't appear to know what he is doing, I keep my mouth shut still, maybe he knows better then me.

After a couple of gold eating wipes, OK maybe it's now time to speak up, because it's clear the person doesn't know what he is doing and I'm paying for it. -_-

 
At 5:43 AM, Blogger Kinam said...

I think I had a black mage in the jungles the other day that must have taken your previous post to heart .... and totally would have ignored this post.

He kept casting Bio, then Dia .... I pointed out to him that they do NOT stack together and even provided him a wiki link. He insisted that the wiki pages were wrong because he saw them both land damage and after casting dia he didn't see bio wear off.

I tried to explain the power struggle between the two spells, but he wouldn't listen.

In the end he said that he wasn't changing the way he was casting his spells, and put me on ignore. I pointed out to the group (who were ALSO telling him he was an utter noob) that he was just being too lazy to change his macro that cast both spells. They all laughed, and we ended up kicking him out of the party.

He took me off ignore and proceeded to bitch me out for kicking him (even though I wasn't party leader). I told him that I'd BLM PVP him and let him see that bio and dia didn't stack. He wouldn't take me up on that offer. Oh well

 
At 7:35 AM, Blogger nkelly1968 said...

I can't believe that in 2009 there are people that don't understand Dia and Bio. If that BLM had said "Hey, I'm skilling up Enfeebling and Dark for minimal MP" you could probably let it slide. Of course with level sync no one skills up in exp any more so...

 
At 10:27 AM, Blogger Meeka said...

I won't level BLM because I can't be bothered to put the effort into learning all the spells and elements and what stacks with and/or cancels out what. I haven't decided if I'm too lazy or too stupid for it...

 
At 11:22 AM, Blogger Jakk Frost said...

This could even be extended into "pay attention to what other players are doing in their jobs, that way you learn a few things about that job, plus you learn how to work with that job."

I mean goddamn, I knew how SATA worked before I even levelled thf. I was rdm in party in yuhtunga jungle, (yes, at 30, this was back in the day before mob strengths were adjusted, you went to 30-31 in yuhtunga, 31-34 in yhoator, etc. etc.) and thf was pulling her hair out trying to explain to a sam how to be her trick partner, and after 30 mins he still didn't get it, so I said the hell with it, I'll throw up stoneskin and blink and you can SATA on to me, maybe the sam will get a clue (remember, low level rdm's can and should melee). BAM, exp exploded, I took a few close calls but the mobs died faster, and the sam finally got the friggin idea...

Plus from that party onwards, I knew exactly how to work with, and as, thf.

 
At 4:56 PM, Blogger Leut said...

Sorry....what was that? I wasn't listening.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home