Thursday, April 09, 2009

Theme Week - Turnabout Part 3

Stupid.

Stupid, stupid, stupid.

I don't know if I've ever mentioned this, but I love killing low level NMs. Even if I already have the item they drop or if they drop crap items, I still have to kill them.

It's like an obsessive-compulsive thing.

Most of the time, someone else is in the area camping the damned thing, so I leave it alone. As much as I like it, I try not to be a total asshole.

In that regard.

But, if no one is around, I just have to kill the thing.

Drops a level 2 hat? Kill it.

Drops a level 4 sword? Why the hell not?

Drops a level 7 pair of boots? Oh, hellz yeah.

All the FFXI players know exactly what I'm talking about. Just outside the gates of Bastok, in the lovely rocky hills of South Gustaberg, there lives a pain in the ass NM named Leaping Lizzy.

I may or may not have mentioned her.

Well, this leather-faced lizard bitch drops a seriously nice pair of level 7 boots. It's kind of a pain in the ass to get them, but they are worth it.

I always have to kill Lizzy if I see her.

I have to.

Usually, I don't even think about it. As soon as the name pops up on my screen, I hit the attack button.

See, this is where my "experience" and "bias" teamed up to kick my level 13 ass.

I was running back to Bastok for some supplies and just happened to run past Lizzy's spawn area. Everything was nice and quiet and there wasn't another player in sight.

I'm just about to reach the top of the hill when who should pop out from behind a rock?

Yeah. Lizzy.

Out of a combination of reflex and sheer stupidity, my hand flew and I clicked on attack.

This, it turns out, was a mistake.

If I was a Monk, I could have at least had a shot. Pop off a Hundred Fists and the fight would be over pretty quick.

But no. I had to level White Mage.

I smash Lizzy in the face with my staff (read: stick) and it didn't even phase her.

Her HP bar may have moved.

Maybe.

Unfortunately, that was the high point of the fight for me. A few swings later and I'm eating dirt.

Yay.

The funniest part is White Mages can't even wear Bounding Boots. Assuming I had won (which I did not), I'd have been left with Boots that would be entirely useless.

Stupid, stupid, stupid.

The only bright side to this whole thing is that it can only get better from here.

Tomorrow: Leveling in Valkurm Dunes

14 Comments:

At 9:45 PM, Blogger Taylor-MadeAK said...

Leaping Lizzy: 1

[NUB]Dave: 0

FIRST! AAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

 
At 10:04 PM, Blogger RandiFayPayton said...

ROFL!!! Been there done that! ; ;

 
At 10:18 PM, Blogger Rabid Ferrets of DOOM!!!™ said...

I really should give FFXI a try... I got through the majority of the content in Wrath within a week. That's just sad.

 
At 11:40 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

SOmewhat random here...but is there a free trial for FF XI? I have always been somewhat interested in it thanks ot my misbegotten youth playing the old FF console games (from FF to FF XII and soon XII). I realize the game has little to nothing ot do with what I have played on consoles...but it does not diminsih my interest.

 
At 11:40 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Sonuva...that was supposed to be a XIII the second time...not another XII

 
At 3:20 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

@ Durrel

As with most MMOs FFXI comes with a 30 day free trial if you purchase the full retail edition, the 2008 Vana'diel collection, which you can buy from the Playonline store for $19.99.

Or if you live in the EU/UK as I do, you can download the game on a 14 day free trial, then if I was you, I'd go out and buy the Vanad'diel collection and take advantage of the 30 day trial lol.

Hope that helps, and it gives you the chance to join us in Vana'diel

Mathew - Sylph

 
At 3:50 AM, Blogger Kulaudo said...

I don't think telling Durrel there's a free trial will help, after this week's series of posts I don't think Dave will be telling anyone to start playing. I guess the FFXI population is down to those of us that already have at least one job to 75.

Lizzy has kicked my ass more times than I care to admit to... I think she spawns more often when I can't kill her.

 
At 3:55 AM, Blogger Kulaudo said...

Double post, sorry.
Interesting thing I just found, leaping lizzy LOST to the Valkurm Emperor in a popularity contest.
wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Notorious_Monster_Madness

 
At 6:17 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I do the same thing to certain mobs in WoW I come up against at lower levels. I actually keep a list - it's kind of sad.

Next up: That one elite that beat the hell out of my lowbie rogue when he popped out of a chest I unlocked for a quest and killed me. Four times in a row.

I've come back on my 80 and laid waste to entire areas because of crap like that. What can I say? I'm a vengeful person, and I hold grudges. :D

 
At 8:34 AM, Blogger RedBoar said...

Lizzy. That has been a long and painful affair.

 
At 8:49 AM, Blogger Bufuman said...

Ah, Leaping Lizzy! The only NM I ever tried camping for. Good times, good times.

If you count sitting there for 2 solid weeks and never seeing her once as good times.

Just as well, I probably would've gotten a shot at her anyway. I think there was a bot waiting for her too. The guy was there longer than I was, sat in one spot constantly, and only ever moved if a lizard walked into his field of view, at which point he'd run up to it, kill it, and run right back to where he started.

 
At 3:06 PM, Blogger Kiwi said...

Rabid.. you've gotten through Ulduar.. before it's came out? Damn you're good. Patience grasshopper. Everyone griped about hard mode... and it's there. ^_^

 
At 3:22 PM, Blogger Leut said...

You know....camping NMs got a heck of alot easier once I learned how to do it the easy way.

Show up, get ToD (Time of Death). Use respawn timers to figure out when you need to be back. 2nd sitting you don't try to kill if there are others camping (read: there are always others camping). Get the place holder mark for which mob the nm replaces. Kill only placeholder. Let the idiots run around killing the non place holders.

Claim.
Kill.
Get disappointed at no drop.
Repeat.

 
At 7:36 PM, Blogger Rabid Ferrets of DOOM!!!™ said...

@Kiwi

I have patience. My problem is the fact that in the entire expansion, there only raid content that's there is 2 mini-encounters, one loot pinata that's less challenging than a non-heroic 5 man, and only one full raid which many of us have seen before. Even if you include the 3 raids that we know are coming in later patches, that'll be less than BC launched with.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home