Sunday, January 18, 2009

Media Circus

So, something incredible and amazing has happened.

Something unbelievable.

No, I didn't get a normal GM call.

Not that unbelievable.

Apparently, someone finally killed Pandemonium Warden.

Back in August, Pandemonium Warden was a big news story. A big linkshell made a run at him and, after 18 straight hours of fighting, people started to get sick or die or something.

I may or may not have mentioned it.

It was particularly interesting as you don't often see a specific in-game event making it into the mainstream news.

Sure, the big expansion releases can make the news. That's not that big a feat.

But a bad guy so bad ass that it makes the news... That's a big deal.

People were outraged. How dare they create an enemy that requires a near impossible effort to take down.

It was crazy.

So, now that someone has actually managed to kill him, you know that HAD to make the news, right?

Hmmm...

Nope.

Apparently, if someone doesn't die trying to play a video game, it just isn't worth mentioning.

Now, I wasn't expecting to read articles titled "Whoops! Guess we were wrong" or "Well, I guess we're all retarded".

That would be too much to ask.

But the least they could do is mention the freaking thing. They could at least point out that SE isn't actively trying to kill players.

Just a sidenote or something.

I'm not saying they should interrupt the evening news or anything, but at least mention it in passing.

"Oh, by the way, that huge 18 hour boss in FFXI that caused players to up and die... Yeah, turns out someone beat him. Huh. Now, here's Chuck Smegly with the weather."

C'mon. Chuck will wait.

You owe us that much at least.

No, just like everyone else, all they focus on is the bad news.

Typical.

They're just like the cops. All they want to talk about is the people I send incendiary devices to.

What about all the people I don't send them too, huh?

Where's my medal for that?

Let's just focus on the negative.

Someone beats Pandemonium Warden and it's not even a blip on the radar. All because no one died this time.

Sure, a couple of guys fell into a coma.

But nobody dies and suddenly you don't mean shit anymore.

This must be what the PGA tour feels like.

Nobody even gives a shit.

Now, if Tiger Woods killed someone with a golf club, that would be all over the place.

That's just bullshit.

Our next major boss will take 3 days to kill and can only be defeated by scanning the death certificates of 5 team members.

Four people die and you don't get a F&%#ING thing.

People dying may not sound like fun to you, but at least we'll make the news.

Isn't that what really counts?

8 Comments:

At 5:38 PM, Blogger Nick said...

Of course, it takes something drastic that people can blame video games on for them to be relevant. The going-ons of celebrities is infinitely more important in the eyes of society than "Oh wait, our bad, he can be beat. Go Figure."

Yay for the lack of thought on the behalf of mankind >.>

 
At 6:40 PM, Blogger ineedbettername said...

Wonder how long it took them to beat him?

 
At 10:12 PM, Blogger Sword said...

Not to get caught up in this little rant of Dave's but I can't help add this little tidbit.

"Yeah a few retards nearly died because SE made a boss too lenghty, but they fixed that within a few weeks. Since video games are involved though lets blame the company for making it so hard in the first place. It's not like viewers really care that video games helped those people recover their hand to eye coordination from stroke and car wrecks."

 
At 10:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dave...aren't you kind of being a hypocrite by not telling your loyal viewers who beat him? >.> Hehe.

 
At 5:39 AM, Blogger semele said...

So how'd they do it?

 
At 9:20 AM, Blogger Matt said...

http://petfoodalpha.com/2574/pandemonium-warden-defeated-emergency-maintenance-to-follow

With their eyes. They totally just eye-beam'd PW to death.

Nah, basically, when one of the forms was about to use Astral Flow... They logged out. Then re-logged in and continued fighting. Article explains further.

 
At 5:25 AM, Blogger Calendras said...

I am a loyal wow player. In fact the only reason I bought a pc and payed for my internet connection was wow. I love it.

I didn't even know it was categorized as a mmorpgsomething game. All I wanted to do was playing wow in my free time.

A month ago I was bored and did a little google search to see if there were any GMs' stories from wow in the blogs. I ran across Dave's blog. It took me one hour of reading before I realized he was actually a GM of another mmorpgsomething game. At the time I had no idea there was something like FFXI. Absolutely no idea.

So I begun reading all of his posts. I even replaced some of my time in the world of Azeroth by reading posts conserning FFXI. If it wasn't for the BLESSED windowed mode I would litterally had to log off wow and read the stuf.

Anyway not only did I found out about FFXI by Dave but I got interested in it as well. I found it really interesting that it is harder to play it in many aspects. Leveling is harder, travelling is harder, questing is harder. It actually takes some effort to accomplish something in the game.

I wish it was the same with wow. I think I will try out FFXI. All thanks to you.

 
At 8:06 PM, Blogger tyranastrasz said...

"Now, if Tiger Woods killed someone with a golf club, that would be all over the place."

In retrospect (it is currently 2011) this statement seems much more hilarious. I remember the uproar there was when his rampant cheating was discovered, so hey, I guess Dave was right.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home