Tuesday, November 18, 2008

The Impending Update

What more could you want? Honestly, what the hell else could we do for you?

We increased solo xp.

We put a nomad moogle in Selbina.

Basically, we did everything that the players asked us to do.

And yet, people still complained about other things.

So, with a renewed sense of purpose and meaning (and an open bar), we went back to the drawing board and tried to figure out what else we could do for you, our players.

Okay... When I say "we", I don't mean "we".

I really didn't have shit to do with any of that. That's some guy in another country who I've never even met.

I don't even know if they use drawing boards.

But he/she/they went to work.

I stayed here to hold down the fort.

You would be surprised how much drinking is involved in holding down a fort.

So, the nameless, under-appreciated devs went to work to find out exactly what they could do to make the game even better.

That's friggin' commitment.

I mean, the game is already amazing. It is, without a doubt, the best MMORPG on the market today.

Oh, calm down. It's not like any WoW players will even read this for the next month.

They have to go kill some guy with a cold chair or something.

Just the idea that someone is working everyday to make a great game even better astounds me.

This is like the guy who invented candied bacon.

Yeah, Baby.

He took an amazing product, bacon, and said "what ELSE can we do to make it better?"

IT'S BACON FOR CHRIST'S SAKE!

Bacon is good. Bacon is delicious.

Bacon is damned near perfect.

And yet... Some guy worked to make it just a little better.

That's our devs.

Also, FFXI won't make your heart explode.

I think.

What did the devs come up with?

They made your whole game life easier.

No, they didn't turn down the difficulty on any enemies. Put your Kraken Clubs back in storage.

Instead, they said "let's just take away a lot of the hassle."

Remember having to go find a guard to recharge your exp rings?

Not anymore.

Remember how hard it was to get from Jeuno to Whitegate?

Not anymore.

Remember those f&%@ing idiots who kept taking your coffer when you're trying to do your damned Artifact Armor quests so you had to wait another freakin' half an hour for the coffer to repop just to watch ANOTHER moron take it?

... Not anymore.

They even removed the taxes from Jeuno.

C'mon. What more could you possibly want?

No, we will not be releasing an attachment that services you while you play.

...

I'm pretty sure we won't be doing that.

Oh God, I hope we don't do that.

Why do I even say things like this? When it happens, I'm going to get blamed for it.

Who the hell would want something like that?

...

Put your hands down.

12 Comments:

At 8:45 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

hahah i love your posts and I agree. Though I've only played the game for a year, I do agree the devs have done a lot to make the game easier for the new playerbase. The level sync was both a blessing and a curse. Blessing because it is now easier to level with friends but at the same time... more high level noobs are appearing everywhere. Noobness isn't restricted to dunes anymore... i find them in altepa and even up to colibri =(

 
At 10:02 PM, Blogger Moe said...

I completely agree Dave, stuff is gonna get nice. But you forgot to mention that dungeon building part. Now if you you'd excuse me I need to get on some of that candied bacon.

 
At 11:14 PM, Blogger Tarage said...

The problem is, these are all things that should have been done, gee, I don't know, YEARS AGO.

FFXI is a suborn game. The Dev team has had their fingers in their ears for so long now, you'll have to forgive the rest of us for not jumping for joy when they finally do something they should have done in the beginning.

 
At 2:32 AM, Blogger Fireball said...

I bet I'm gonna get killed within the next few seconds, buttt... Well..honestly, I don't want the game to become too easy. Where's the thrill in it when you could pratically sit a 2 year old in front of a computer to play the game ?
Waiting for a coffer or chest to spawn is part of the fun. Or the story. The game. Whatever. So is the Empress band recharge stuff.

Being able to warp from Jeuno to Whitegate is nice, too. Don't get me wrong, it really makes gamelife easier. But then...no one died of a heart attack because he couldn't warp from Jeuno to Whitegate. Hell guys, get up your lazy asses and play !

 
At 6:52 AM, Blogger Bufuman said...

Hmm, you know, I don't think I've played FFXI in almost a year. I thought I had finally broken my addiction. Now I'm going to sign in to check some of this shit out (after I figure out how to get PlayOnline working on Vista), and I'm going to be hooked again. Thanks a fucking LOT, Dave. It's times like this I envy your power to feed people to a giant purple dragon, because that's what I feel like doing to you now.

But you know I kid. I love you, Dave. In the manliest way possible, of course.

 
At 8:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Im a WoW player myself (and yes, yes. right after I click Publish I will be returning to my quest to kill the guy in the cold chair) however Ive always loved your blog. It addresses a lot of issues that gamers in general face regardless of the MMO. Still I wonder if changes like this are good for games. WoW recently made changes that made it ridiculously easy to level. Good for me? Yeah... Made the game a little Too easy?... I think so. Catering to the casual makes people stfu, and some changes Are needed. Still, sometimes they take it too far.

 
At 12:34 PM, Blogger AzureShadow said...

Making games easy is for pansies who whine and bitch about how "hard" it is for them to play their game because of some random crappy reason and them just being too lazy to work at it for a while.

A real game needs challenge, and consequences for fucking up. Not catering to carebear players who want everything to be spoon-fed to them while they sit on their ass and get serviced by an attachment (I loled at that by the way).

That's why I'm waiting for Darkfall, which they say will be released in a couple months (yeah right), and it looks like it'll be a REAL game.

WoW players who want to be catered to for every little thing... take your pansy shit somewhere else.

 
At 2:35 PM, Blogger Tarage said...

To the above posters that are complaining that this is making the game 'too easy' and taking the 'hardness' out of it.

The problem with your logic is that these weren't designed to make things harder, they were problems with the game SE only recently got off their asses to fix. If you honestly think allowing people to recharge their EXP rings without having to travel to one of the starter area/Jeuno breaks the game, you are some sort of retarded.

SE is notorious for this. Stop pandering, start demanding.

 
At 10:25 AM, Blogger Rachelle said...

What? you mean this isn't about a guy on a cold chair? Dang...

 
At 8:06 PM, Blogger Subaru said...

Ben: Says you. Why should anyone have to "work" at a game? Games should be fun, first and foremost. Some of us have fun with hard games, and some of us prefer to have more lazy fun.

 
At 6:08 AM, Blogger Kiwi said...

Very interesting. I've been considering returning to XI for a bit..

And Dave, even as a WoW player, I've loved reading the blog. Even spam checking it while ya were away. Hope the little one is doing wonderful. ^_^

 
At 8:20 AM, Blogger Kerensky said...

Still beyond the usual it's like CITY OF.. and it's a copy that came out months after city of announced it's version had it and had it better and now they have even better than wait.. I came back to ffxi.. it's addictive.. but the point is level synk is to handle that there are so many fing jobs you want to play with your friends that are level one with the new job turd kicker and you have spam talker lvl 40 so you synk to their level or something..

 

Post a Comment

<< Home