Friday, June 20, 2008

What's In A Name?

Okay, this question has been bothering me for some time now. The more I think about it, the more my head hurts.

What the hell is with RMT names?

You can pretty much pick an RMT out of any crowd. It's something in the way they act, the way they stand...

The fact that their names don't include vowels.

This is one of the things that has always really bothered me about the whole RMT thing. As much as the whole gil selling thing is absolutely retarded, at least you can see a thought process behind it.

A method to the madness, if you will.

Actually, it's more like a method to the stupidity, but you know what I mean.

But why in the hell do they have random names?

You're running through Qufim, on your way to a party, when 6 guys run past you with names like Ffdkm and Qmxcv.

No, that's not suspicious at all.

What the hell was going through their minds when they were making their characters?



I'll give you a minute to bask in my photoshop skills.

Would it be that much harder to come up with actual names for their characters?

Would the other gil farmers laugh at you if your character was named Craig instead of Vnmkl?

RMT1>> HAHA!
RMT1>> There's Craig!
RMT1>> He's so stupid!
RMT2>> You got that right, Dfvbxq.

Sure, you might say that they're in a rush to make their characters and get to work.

Does it really take that much more time?

C-R-A-I-G.

Nope, not very long.

Maybe they let the game pick a random name.

That seems extra stupid given their entire reason for creating the character in the first place.

The attention a random name will get you seems worth the extra three and a half seconds it take to type a real name.

I'm not asking for anything special.

You don't have to write an elaborate back story or create a fictional genealogy for your character. I'm not looking for a Tolkien-esque level of forethought put into a name.

But give me a damned vowel.

Hell, pick a random name.

Peter.

Paul.

Mary.

I don't give a damn. Use a freakin' random noun for all I care.

Ham.

Hey, there's a name your mother could be proud of.

And no one would give you a second glance in Qufim.

Player1>> Hey, there's Ham.
Player2>> Heck of a nice guy that Ham.
Player1>> Darn right.
Player1>> Not suspicious at all.
Player2>> ... That was a weird thing to say.

You'd be the most popular RMT on your server.

Hptcxz is not a popular name.

No one is going to invite you to their birthday party.

Actually, most people are going to spit on you and call your mother a whore.

Your mother may or may not be a whore.

I don't know.

But no one would say it if your name was Craig.

Or Ham.

19 Comments:

At 9:25 PM, Blogger Sen said...

I do have to agree even horribly over used things like 'sephiroth203480.5' are better than the no vowel naming system. Also nice picture, did you do that yourself or was it commissioned?

 
At 9:53 PM, Blogger Cypher said...

It's actually courteous of them to not use "normal" names, because they'll invariably be banned. The way they're naming their characters, they aren't getting names banned that people who play the game for enjoyment might want to use.

 
At 11:37 PM, Blogger Sorvina said...

He DID say he was giving us a minute to bask in HIS photo shopping skills.

Something tells me its his work....but I could be wrong. :P

 
At 11:51 PM, Blogger ineedbettername said...

Sshhh! You'll give them ideas. Why make your job harder?

 
At 2:13 AM, Blogger Bufuman said...

My most hated names are anything that includes the letters "AZN". Anyone who uses the "AZN" tag is one of two people:
1. An Asian asshole who believes that Asians are better than every other race on the planet, just because.
2. A white idiot who believes that Asians are better than every other race on the planet, just because.

 
At 2:54 AM, Blogger tyranastrasz said...

Okay, I love this blog but this is the first post in a while that's actually had me laughing out loud (and trying not to... I'm up late and people are trying to sleep two rooms away). And I totally agree. I don't get it either, but at least it does make them easy to identify.

 
At 4:53 AM, Blogger Themuffingirl said...

First I just want to say, I absolutely love this blog.

Anyway, I noticed about a month ago over here on Seraph, that the RMT that run around in groups together decided to get linkshells to be less obvious. Six people (generally a hume WHM and 5 identically geared taru BLM's)running around on /follow with different linkshells of assorted colors and variations of keyboard mash for linkshell names. I find it amusing they think they're less RMT-looking because of the pearl next to their name. I see them doing besieged a lot as of late, guess they'd rather stay hidden in all the lag while getting their xp.

Amazing photoshop skills as well Dave. ^^

 
At 10:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

On Ragnarok, i've noticed that the more english literate RMT (which isn't saying much, even for native english speakers) have taken to seeking and forming parties with legit players, so they're a bit harder to spot...as for their names, honestly i think with most of them its just they dont care since they know that they may be banned in the upcoming week, so why bother? they're there to make money, not make friends, which going by their usual tactics, is pretty much assured they won't be making any soon.

 
At 11:34 AM, Blogger Hawklord2112 said...

you'd think that a level 20 party in lavel 1 fishing gear in qufim with 2 PLs would be easy enough to spot ^^

 
At 3:53 PM, Blogger Catherine Oakes said...

Hopefully this isn't too offsubject, since the name generator was mentioned.

I've always wondered, do you GMs add in your own "random names" when you're bored? I swear, and I have a witness, that I had Michaeljordan pop up for, I believe, a male hume... There's also been some interesting names for tarus >.>

I'm not expecting a response but I wanted to just throw the accusation out there and see if I can get a confession. :p

 
At 4:26 PM, Blogger UZ said...

You should start giving out photoshop lessons.

 
At 10:16 PM, Blogger Xatticus said...

what about the RMT's who have overly Chinese names?

like

YingZho
Xialua
WuPing

no...only on my server?

but yeah your right about the random names though

 
At 12:58 AM, Blogger Kenny said...

Hawklord, a level 20 party in level 1 Fishing gear with two power levels could quite possibly be a legit party. Stupidity isn't reserved for RMTs.

 
At 9:43 AM, Blogger Rachelle said...

In the MMOs I've played, what I've noticed is that the actual FARMERS, those who level up and get gold, tend to have real names, ones that don't attract attention. I'm not sure if this applies to FFXI, but it certainly applies to LOTRO and WOW. Now, if you see the names without vowels, that means INCOMING GOLD SPAM! and you ignore them as quickly as you can.

To me, the worst part is when they get into the public channels and advertise their site. Ug. Huge blocks of annoying text.

 
At 11:37 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Dear [GM]Dave:

Please provide another word for:

"synonym"

Frustratingly yours,
JH

 
At 7:06 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

In WoW for a while - at least on my server -(I know, I know) if you saw someone named for a random household object, usually a kitchen appliance, you knew you were looking at a bot. Don't know if that's still the case though.

 
At 11:09 AM, Blogger Becky said...

Tasty tasty. :)

 
At 8:25 AM, Blogger Marcio said...

First note... >_> That RMT must have had the weirdest shaped head.

For instances
FFDKM is reasonable to smash your head and hit all keys.

Qmxcv on the other hand.... they must have either a compact keyboard or >_> a freakishly large head. To hit Q & M right after...
I mean I tried (gently) slaming my head and all i could get was Uhjyb.

On a lighter note was annoys me is actual players with names such as
Burnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
Purrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Seriously. Who wants to do dynamis with those people or even gods? I don't mind math, but having to count x's to be able to /t or /ma cure someone... is ridiculous.

Not to mention if you are having a conversation with these people you're outgoing message is now shorter by that many characters.

Healing Nightmare Example:

Leader>> It's almost dead!!! Xxx! ZERG IT!!!
Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx uses a fancy 2hr
Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx takes alot of damage.
Leader>> SOMEONE HEAL XXX!
*player types /ma "Cure V" Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx*
**Invalid command.**

And in hectic situtaions who the hell has time to be looking at the Allience and check out which {a2#} {a1#} they are?

Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx is defeated by Dark Ixion.

*Party wipes to Dark Ixion*

*Marcio doesn't get a Ixion Cloak or Cape*

*Marcio hates Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx even more now!*

So yeah. I'd love to know the theory behind why these strage people pick their names, and those specific names to represent them.

I'd tell you which server I am in, but GM Dave, could at random select a post and Ban me, just cause he'd feel [My UBER SCH]>[His DRG] *lolDRG*

:P Jk, I actually need to level DRG or SAM, they are insane TP burners xD Although Sam looks less Power Ranger like, and Purple isn't really my favorite color. >_>

 
At 12:13 PM, Blogger Copper Hamster said...

One of my LS mates gets accused of being a RMT from time to time.

Has no vowels in his 'name'. They're his initials.

So think before you talk smack.

--
cpprhmstr -.^

 

Post a Comment

<< Home