Friday, February 22, 2008

Dice Roll!

As some of you may know, my main job of choice is my Dragoon.

Anyone who laughed can kiss their account goodbye.

I take a great deal of pride in my gear and go out of my way to try and have the best gear possible.

Plus, I just need to look awesome.

One of the items I've been lusting after is a Valkyrie's Fork.

For those of you who play FFXI, it's a polearm with 95 DMG, Double Attack +3% and Store TP +3.

For those of you who don't play FFXI, imagine a pointy stick that's right good at stabbing stuff.








Unfortunately, this thing is damned difficult to obtain.

You'd have an easier time finding someone who likes Jack Thompson.

Side note: ZING!

Still, my LS and I have been grinding away on Einherjar and I have been patiently waiting for my chance at this thing.

Patiently includes lots of swearing, right?

So, tonight was finally the night. We were going in against Odin and there were only two people even eligible to lot on the fork if it dropped.

One of those people was me.

The other guy was a good friend of mine, so I honestly didn't care which of us won.

Not really. I don't care if he's in my LS or not. I was hoping he went down like a drunk prom date.

I have to say that battle was pretty intense. Every second required the utmost in care and concentration.

At least, that's what I heard. I spent the last five minutes watching the treasure pool to see what the drops were going to be.

I glanced over and saw Odin's HP was down to the barest sliver.

And then that beautiful little treasure chest icon popped up above my name.

I held my breath as I opened the treasure pool and there it was.

My Valkyrie's Fork.

I think I might have wet myself a little.

Rather than lotting immediately, I decided to let the other guy lot first.

I like to know what my chances are.

Player's lot for the valkyrie's fork: 83 points.

O_o

A brief explanation of the lotting system:

A player casts lots for an item. These lots can range from 0 (the lowest) to 999 (the highest).

On this scale an 83 is considered sucktacular.

I was practically laughing as I clicked on the cast lots button.

[GM]Dave's lot for the valkyrie's fork: 3 points.

*twitch*

I'm pretty sure they could hear me swearing in Japan.

Still, I took the defeat like a man. I congratulated him on his luck and cheered him on when he equipped it.

No, my hand did not hover above my Jormy macro.

I didn't even think about it.

Not even once.

...

Stop looking at me like that.

12 Comments:

At 11:43 PM, Blogger YumeMei said...

Another great one, [GM] Dave!

 
At 12:00 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Heh, well done on the self-control. Better luck next time, eh?!

 
At 12:50 AM, Blogger Polar Bear said...

Dave, your story seemed a little strange because Jormy wasn't ivolved. It was as though something was missing, like a movie without any ending, you get me? Perhaps it's because we're all so used to Jormy killing other players. But I still enjoyed it anyway. So, I'm not complaining.

 
At 3:54 AM, Blogger Gabe said...

Oh go on, use ol' Jormy, he'll understand. You know you want to...

 
At 7:19 AM, Blogger Bufuman said...

I feel your pain, Dave. I too have horrible luck with lots. Every time I'm in a party, I always get the lowest lots for every item I cast them on. I sometimes imagine that Lady Luck is sitting on another computer somewhere, giggling maniacally as she hits the "Suck it, bitch" button under my name. Did you ever get that sniper rifle, Dave? I'd like to borrow it. And a single round. And a scope.

 
At 9:24 AM, Blogger Ulli said...

My lots are usually pretty good, rare I have one under 600. But still, I do feel for ya. Some people I know fail at lotting.

 
At 2:21 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Someone else won Dave's prize, and Jormy didn't make an appearance??

Man. Who are you, and what have you done with the real GM Dave?

 
At 6:30 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

What's your take on AV GM dave?

 
At 3:44 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

1: chuckhorrible deserves death.
2: Maybe your friend will... I dunno... accidentally have his inventory... moved. >_>

Good luck next time.

 
At 7:05 PM, Blogger Bufuman said...

Sigh, this Chuckhorrible jackass even has a blog dedicated to cheating in every MMORPG out there. I wonder if this site will give Dave the e-mail address of this asshat so our good GM can ban the living crap out of this retard? Dave, you should totally look into that.

 
At 7:54 PM, Blogger Heresy said...

D: you can't ever catch a break!

 
At 12:08 PM, Blogger Xatticus said...

Awww...

My heart goes out to you man. Sorry about that.

I think it would have been audible swearing if you rolled an 82

 

Post a Comment

<< Home