Monday, October 23, 2006

Why?

I get asked one question a lot. Not just by some of my readers, but also by people I know in real life.

That question is "Why do you play this game?"

They always say the same things. The game doesn't have an ending, there's no way to ever finish, there's no sense of accomplishment.

People who say this just don't understand this game. Most of them haven't even played it and are just trying to wrap their heads around it.

The point of this game is not about getting to a finish line. There's no ribbon somewhere you run across and the game goes "Good Job!" and sends you on your merry.

It's true that the game really doesn't have an end. But that's one of the best things about it.

The story never really ends. Rather than a simple, one shot storyline to follow, FFXI is woven from countless stories and quests. There is always something else to see, something else to do.

And no accomplishment? No accomplishment?

Every other minute in this game, you're treated to a major sense of accomplishment.

Every time you hit a new level, your heart jumps a little. Everytime you fight an enemy and then beat him, your body cheers a little.

Even the most frustrating things give way to satisfaction. Having to farm or camp for an item makes it all the sweeter when you finally get it.

Sure, it sucks having to wait for groups or try and camp for good items. But that's part of the challenge.

I'm sorry, but if you need someone to hand you everything on a silver platter, we probably don't care about your opinion either way.

This game is about more than just winning. It's about trying new things and reaching new levels.

It's about getting to the next place or the next story, the next quest or the next mission.

It's about being part of a game rather than just playing it.

FFXI has never been about being a game for everyone. It wasn't designed so you could just pick it up and finish it in a week or two.

Instead, they created an actual world that can be explored and experienced. A world without limit and practically without end.

If you're looking at FFXI as a simple video game, you're never going to understand it. We play this game for the sheer depth of it, not some silly finish line or game over screen.

You ask us why we play this game?

We play it because it is about more than just trying to find an end to it. It's about more than a score. It's about more than a level.

It's about more.

I'm sorry if you don't get that. I really am.

13 Comments:

At 8:59 PM, Blogger Jess said...

*waves a lighter in the air*

 
At 5:55 AM, Blogger Bellemithra said...

Fave post!

 
At 6:49 AM, Blogger Yeager said...

Nobody got fed to Jorny?

QQ

 
At 6:57 AM, Blogger token black guy said...

fa sho! da pimpin life def be gettin mad azz strezzful! it helps to fuhget abowt bustin caps n slappin hoz fo a bit and pay some final fantapimp nahmeen??! holla back if u fillin' me!! wesside!!

 
At 10:38 AM, Blogger Argentos of Windurst said...

A lot of people (re: kids and idiots, often one and the same) need instant gratification. That's why they're never content with FFXI and retreat back to their console titles (or WoW). I'd like to see some of those same impatient people try to play EVE Online. That's a whine-fest waiting to happen.

 
At 11:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well said. While I cannot play FFXI myself (I run entirely on Macs, due to my job, and haven't yet been able to justify an Intel Mac), I do understand why people play. Having to explain it to non-mmorpg games, and especially to non-gamers in general, has always been a hassle.

How do you shorten a description of life? You cannot, just as you cannot sum up any good mmorpg in a few short sentences.

 
At 10:31 PM, Blogger vandemonde said...

"To the journey"

/salute

This is why I love Vana'Diel it's the kind of world where one such as me (perpetual clown and a fierce Newblet) and a personage such as the wonderful [GM]Dave and similar types of gamers can get along.

I'm here to enjoy my experience, MY journey but I'll do my best to respect your journey.

Even help you if needed, that's a part of OUR journey together.

(even if it's a foul thing of darkness and malicious intent)




(you know who you are)




(yeah, you.)

kidding! >:)
Love, Hugs and kill a Mob for ME! =^.^=

 
At 7:47 AM, Blogger token black guy said...

damn nikkaz!!! you hate like woah! i try n show sum luv 'n' respeck to da GM and u juz hate hate hate! errtime i say i repeck hiz azz ya'll cum out wit dat "oh he wack! oh he st00pid! oh mah brainz is falling owt!" str8 up hatin' yo! white people... *nods head* damn shame yo

 
At 9:19 PM, Blogger Cockenaden said...

amen dude, amen

 
At 2:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amen. Extremely well-stated.

 
At 3:20 PM, Blogger rauliont said...

...beautiful just beautiful.

like someone said before 'its like a life we wanted but never had' for me in anyways.

 
At 9:29 PM, Blogger Sierra said...

Beautiful. *claps* :]

 
At 5:37 AM, Blogger Celina Jeff said...

I live and work in UK. My life is back!!! After 2 years of Broken marriage, my husband left me with two kids, I felt like ending it all, i almost committed suicide because he left us with nothing, i was emotionally down all this while. Thanks to a great spell caster called Robinson Buckler which i met online who brought my husband back to me. On one faithful day, as I was browsing through the internet, I came across several of testimonies about Robinson Buckler . Some people testified that he brought their Ex lover back, some testified that he restores womb,cure cancer,and other sickness, you can contact him on Robinsonbuckler@yahoo.com.... https://robinbuckler.com/

 

Post a Comment

<< Home