Saturday, October 14, 2006

An Average Day In The Dunes

For some reason I don't quite understand, I decided to level Ninja.

It's not that I have anything against Ninjas. That shit just looks like a lot of damned work for me.

I like Dragoon. You hit attack, use a jump, and then you go make a sandwich. When you come back, if the thing isn't dead, you use jump again.

Ninja just looked like a pain in the ass.

Still, some strange compulsion pushed me into leveling it and, after a few blissful hours of soloing, I headed off to the dunes.

Today, we'll be taking a brief look at your average day in the dunes.

I started out in La Theine Plateau and set myself to lfg. This way, I could put off actually going into the dunes for as long as possible.

Five minutes later, I get an invite. Nice.

I'm feeling optimistic.

Turns out the invite came from a DRK/WHM three levels below me and there's no one else in his party.

Not so optimistic.

I politely decline (read: I tell him he should go jump up his own ass) and go back to looking for a party.

A few minutes later, I get a polite tell from another Ninja asking me to replace him. His party even has a second Ninja for me to work with.

Feeling optimistic again.

He tells me the leader will invite me. Seconds later, I get an invite from the leader and accept.

I check the party member list and find that there is no second Ninja.

Or a White Mage.

Or a healer of any kind.

It's three Thieves, a Black Mage, and a Corsair.

The Corsair doesn't even have a subjob.

My mind fractures and I die a short time later.

Okay... Maybe that's exaggerating. I didn't die.

I send a tell to the Ninja who first talked to me and apparently the leader hadn't sent an invite yet.

That's right. Right after he told me the leader would invite me, someone else invited me without talking to me first.

And now I'm in the party of the damned.

I make up a random excuse (side note: I think I told them I had to go wash my cat) and disband from the party.

The leader starts sending me angry tells. After I left, apparently the Black Mage woke up and realized he was going to die and also disbanded.

I blacklist the leader and make a note to introduce him to Jormy later.

I join the Ninja's former party and check the party member list. There's a second Ninja. Yay.

We set up camp and we're just about to start when the second Ninja says...

Ninja>> Gotta go.

And immediately leaves.

The leader searches for possible replacements. He mentions a certain DRK/WHM lfg in La Theine.

I ask him to give me lead.

He gives me lead and I boot him from the party.

We pick up replacements and go to work. They expect me to blink tank, so I set up some simple ground rules. My main rule: no Black Mage enemies.

The puller leaves and comes back three seconds later with a Goblin Gambler.

Yes, for those of you playing at home, that's a Black Mage enemy.

I am underwhelmed.

I hold out hope that the Gambler goes easy on the AoE spells and maybe we'll survive. With a little help from the Warrior in the party, we should be okay.

Three minutes later, we're face down in the dirt.

Also, the Warrior was afk the whole fight.

I begin to consider deleting Valkurm from the game.

The White Mage informs us that his homepoint was in Jeuno.

Two other people are suddenly "sleepy".

Two seconds later, the entire party is empty except for me and the Warrior.

Three seconds after that, the two "sleepy" people have joined another party.

I type /shutdown and prepare to go drown my anger in a sea of alcohol.

Just as I'm about to log out, I get a tell...

Warrior>> Sorry. Was making a sandwich.
Warrior>> WTF HAPPENED?!

I wonder if it's possible to solo to 75...

13 Comments:

At 10:50 PM, Blogger Dyamalos said...

Sounds like my parties last night.

The first invite I get is from a 20RDM/8THF

second I get is from an 18RDM/9WAR... At least his sub is leveled, but the party didn't have a tank, so I assumed the RDM was going to... no one would reply when I asked where the tank was... disband and join a group that had asked a camp space away. We ended up having a SAM tanking and the level 20RDM/8THF was in the party effectively killing EXP...

god I hate the dunes....

 
At 12:21 AM, Blogger Rachelle said...

It would be possible to solo to level cap if you played WoW!

BWA HA HA! =p

 
At 9:35 AM, Blogger Justine said...

I think most decent melee jobs like Ninja or Warrior should be lvled to 20 solo :D It's MUCH easier and with warrior, you just go around hittin things with as many weapons as you can get your hands on XD

 
At 9:52 AM, Blogger Cruven said...

i wouldn't know about ninja being how i have yet to even change myself to that job. and also thatjob is too expensive for me. I prefer Monk, Samurai, and Dragoon.

Well..i prefer Dragoon and make Samurai a subjob for it. In the PT i was in yesterday to get my Dagoon to level 20 (which somehow managed to helppen) some guy was in it from the LS i had left a week or two before. Level 20 War. No subjob. Most of the party wanted to move to Qufim. I found some excuse to decline (note: say the warrior needed a subjob first). After that the party automatically disbanded and left me standing there with one exp at level 20. Yay me..it was on the secret beach in valkrum...i still have no idea how i survived the trek to the outpost.

 
At 1:25 PM, Blogger Daltana said...

Imagine the frustration of being a MNK and waiting 2.5 hours before getting the first invite, then the rest of the Dunes stupidity.

 
At 2:01 PM, Blogger Mitsukii said...

Last time I was in the dunes we had a WAR/WHM that insited on tanking (He even yelled at the ninja to leave just so he could tank) just because he insisted that he wanted to be a Paladin and needed the practice. When I started receiving angry tells from him after immediately leaving the party the instant the Ninja left I told him that my main in a Paladin and that looking at him makes me cry.

/blist add Retard1
/slap

 
At 2:57 PM, Blogger Kite said...

The Corsair doesn't even have a subjob.

/shocked

I blacklist the leader and make a note to introduce him to Jormy later.

With great power comes great oppertunity to misuse and abuse that power.

Lets see now. Do I have anything to mention about my Valkurm times? {Hmmm.} Nope. I banned those memories a long time ago. I do remember I have been on lfg for about 2 hours until I decided to turn the lfg off and do some crafting.

After 3 hours of crafting, and many cokes down my system, I decided to return to my mog house and shut down the game. And just as I zoned.... PARTYINVITE!

I quickly responded with "WTF kept you so long?!?!", after which I nicely denied the invite and typed /shutdown.

Worst case was when I did Promyvion-Holla. After having played it for 5 hours, I even got 2 requests. Damn people! It was half past five in the morning!!!

The only time the lfg flag up worked for me was during my Valkurm times. For the rest, I mostly got requested to join parties when I had the flag down.

 
At 7:38 PM, Blogger Ark said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 7:40 PM, Blogger Ark said...

OMFG I really hate it when those morons on WoW invite you for no reason while you're soloing a place,and then they try to catch up to you even though you refuse to accept, and in doing so they bring many many monsters running after them... morons...

One time that happened though in Thousand Needles, it turned out I was invited by a lvl 1 Orc Warrior who was two zones away (which being dumb at the time, I accepted the invite)... Then, he /tells me "Oh alright good, you're nearby! >:D"
Then I'm wondering WTF before so a lvl 60 human warlock comes along and kills me... then I /tell the Orc Warrior I've been killed by a warlock only for him to tell me that he WAS the human warlock.

In other words, the guy was using two different comps, and two different accounts, to:
1) use the Orc warrior to locate possible victims and...
2)hunt them down with his high level human warlock.

It seems the Alliance are getting so dishonorable and underhanded that now they're resorting to CHEATING!

Why did I write all this? So I could get the point across that out-of-the-blue invites are always either irritating, noobish, or dangerous.

Bloody Alliance...

Moral of the story is: NEVER ACCEPT AN INVITE FROM OUT OF THE BLUE UNLESS OR UNTIL YOU FIND OUT WHY HE INVITED YOU IN THE FIRST DAMN PLACE (no matter what MMORPG you're in).

Ark

 
At 3:17 PM, Blogger Alkexia said...

Boy do I have a party story for you.
First lets start out with the set up.
drk/blm
war/mnk
rdm/blm
whm/blm
blm/rdm
then me...
thf/nin

I log on in the jungle from where my previous party was last night. Much to my enjoyment, there are a few mates of mine in the group. I ask if I can join and the party is full...
Well damn.
So I proceed to start building my party. I get a yes from my first person and the leader of my frends party sends me a tell," You're lucky."
A few things cross my mind and I blurted out," Why's that?"
"Had someone leave... You're in."
Sweet! so I regretfully tell this unlucky bum that I got a party and he had to seek for another 3 hours. I join the other party and my jaw drops as tears start to form in my eyes at the party set up. I think.. This might work.,.. this might work...
Then I get those dasterdly words from the leader..."You're tanking, Rainukun."
Wha?!
So I beg and plead... I dont have provoke... I can't SATA if I tank...I'm pulling too?!
For the love of everything that is pure in this world.
Ok, fine. I'll pull, tank and some how manage to sata too. Blm is over nuking, Drk is moving hate around too much... GAH I cant do this! Just after maybe 5 minutes all of a sudden the leader now has to leave.
"Give me leader.. please please please give me leader." I even go so far as to bribe him with a stack of earth crystals to ensure that he gives it to me... along with every odd and end in my inventory. HAVE IT ALL! Just give me leader!
Yes! It's mine! Who says money cant buy everything?
We'll leave it at that for now.. Everyone decided they needed to go and so now it's just me and my ls mate like I'd origonally wanted. Ahhhh a fresh start and no silly people to deal with.

 
At 3:21 PM, Blogger Guankim said...

Just in passing for the "Dunes suck because no one knows their jobs" comments...this very well may be the case, but there are those of us who would rather go there and help ACTUAL players (Read: not RMT) learn their role in parties and how to play their jobs, so the same process doesn't get just pushed back to another place or places...(Read: Korroloka & Qufim) where we have to deal with it again. Bottom line is: eventually, everyone will likely need help with the nuances of ANY job, SC timing, MB skills, etc...If people avoid them, that only prolongs the process. Then, rather than having decently educated players for their jobs, we have n00bsville everywhere. /sigh

 
At 11:01 AM, Blogger Marcio said...

Hm if I can solo SMN, BLM and SCH from 17 to 57 (some 75), i think you can take pretty much any other job to 75.

And of course now you have campaign!

Note: Not sure who'd read these but I certainly made my way back from the most recent post to the oldest post.

I am not sure if I wish I could nap or had the strength to keep reading. ... we'll see how this goes if I continue posting.

 
At 5:42 AM, Blogger Celina Jeff said...

I live and work in UK. My life is back!!! After 2 years of Broken marriage, my husband left me with two kids, I felt like ending it all, i almost committed suicide because he left us with nothing, i was emotionally down all this while. Thanks to a great spell caster called Robinson Buckler which i met online who brought my husband back to me. On one faithful day, as I was browsing through the internet, I came across several of testimonies about Robinson Buckler . Some people testified that he brought their Ex lover back, some testified that he restores womb,cure cancer,and other sickness, you can contact him on Robinsonbuckler@yahoo.com.... https://robinbuckler.com/

 

Post a Comment

<< Home