Thursday, September 28, 2006

When Good People Go Bad - Vol. 4

Why are we always in such a rush?

Between exp parties and linkshell events, Dynamis and crafting, FFXI players are constantly rushing somewhere.

It's just our nature.

I do it, too. When I'm on my main, I'm constantly rushing around, trying to get in that final round of crafting before it's time for me to go home.

Now, it's not the rushing that's a problem. The rushing is just a sign that people enjoy playing so much that they literally have to run to get it all in.

That's good.

The problem comes from the mistakes that constantly rushing around can cause. You're in such a rush that you're not paying attention to what your doing and that leads to unfortunate things.

That's bad.

Then those people compound that mistake by making yet another mistake. They make a GM call about something that was entirely their own fault.

That's just stupid.

Boo hoo. You were rushing to get to Dynamis in time. You make a quick stop at the Auction House and put up a stack of crystals for 1 gil.

Whoops. That was supposed to be 1,000.

And whoops, that was your Haubergeon you sold and not your crystals.

You just learned a very valuable lesson. A costly lesson, but a valuable one.

No... Not that kind of value. More like a building character type of value.

On the actual value, you totally got screwed.

Still, at least we've learned our lesson and we'll just go on with our...

Wait... What are you... Why are you going to the Help Desk menu?

Why are you sending a GM call?

You don't need to send a GM call. This was quite obviously your own mistake. You don't have to...

*DING*

Crap.

And it's like that every other day here. We're constantly dealing with people who make silly mistakes because they were in a rush. We then do our best to explain the importance of paying attention to your gameplay.

We also don't do/give a shit.

Let me tell you about a friend of mine. He made a similar mistake and ended up paying a fairly high price for this important lesson.

No, I did not feed him to a dragon.

My friend was doing a BCNM run trying to raise some money for gear. They were having a pretty good night. No major problems, but the drops weren't fantastic.

Finally, it came time for my friend's turn. He traded his orb, the warped into the BCNM, and they went to work.

A few minutes later, the last monster had just died and they opened the Armoury Crate that held the reward.

It must have been my friend's lucky day because his drops were amazing for this particular BCNM. All in all, he had the better part of a million gil sitting in the treasure pool.

His worries were over.

But they were in a huge rush to make sure every got their run done, so they were flying through the event and then back out to start over.

BlackMage>> Everyone ready?
BlackMage>> I'll Escape us out.
Friend>> Let's go.
BlackMage>> Casting Escape...
BlackMage>> Now!
Leader>> Umm...
Leader>> Did you remember to lot for those items?

BlackMage casts Escape.


Friend>> NUUUOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHH!!!

Imagine losing almost a million gil because you forgot to lot on your rewards.

Now, a stupid person would have immediately called a GM and tell him to fix it.

The conversation would have gone like this:

[GM]Dave>> Hail, Adventurer.
[GM]Dave>> Apparently, you suffer from premature evacuation.
Friend>> Yeah, can you give me back my rewards?
Friend>> I really need that money.
[GM]Dave>> Oh, I'm sorry.
[GM]Dave>> We don't give back items.
Friend>> Please?
[GM]Dave>> We do have an alternate way of dealing with this.
Friend>> What's that?
[GM]Dave>> All you have to do is go jump up your own ass.
[GM]Dave>> Is there anything else I can help you with today?

Listen, you rush, you make mistakes. You make mistakes, you lose money.

All because you didn't bother to pay attention.

Be a good player and just suck it up. You'll never make that mistake again. Lesson learned.

Otherwise, feel free to save us both some time and go straight to the part where you jump up your own ass.

Thanks. I appreciate it.

5 Comments:

At 9:28 PM, Blogger Dyamalos said...

That's just painful...

The ass and the lost items....

 
At 5:48 AM, Blogger Bellemithra said...

"Otherwise, feel free to save us both some time and go straight to the part where you jump up your own ass."

I spit out my coffee at that line. Good stuff Dave, keep it up!

 
At 8:18 AM, Blogger Justine said...

I've done that before... kinda. I was doing a lvl 50 garrison out in the desert and when we lotted I won a vermin earring (which at the time was going for a million gil). So, thinking it was crappy and worth 2k, I gave it to my friend XD

 
At 11:22 AM, Blogger Kite said...

((Escape)): emergencies only!

Rushing through things can make people do the most retarded things. My friend lost his last 60k at the Auction House, because he was in such a hurry, he accidentally pressed ((Left)) one time too many.

 
At 7:28 PM, Blogger TheAnaconda said...

havent done it with something so costly as a BCNM, but when I was hunting Carby's Ruby i did it with a BLM friend of mine...

dropped finally after like 3 hours, I loot it, but he forgets to pass on it and Warp 2's me home, causing me to lose it >_<

took another week of hunting (trying solo), and an hour of a high lvl THF with TH2 before I finally found another one

 

Post a Comment

<< Home