Friday, September 01, 2006

Moral Dilemma

In my role as a GM, I am gifted with near infinite power.

I am practically a god.

This, however, does not mean that I am no still human. I am still a person.

A person with no conscience or human emotion, but a person nonetheless.

Occasionally during my time in the red armor, I am confronted with a situation that creates conflict between my god-like wrath for everything stupid and my all too human sympathy.

[GM]Dave has many layers.

Most of these situations revolve around my friends. I mean, what's the point of having limitless power if you can't use it to help out your friends?

And I rarely charge them.

But you cannot begin to imagine the inner turmoil I face when one of my friends does something stupid.

A few days ago, I was just hanging out in my LS when a friend of mine, Stormfeather, inadvertedly attracted my attention.

Stormfeather>> Oh crap...
Stormfeather>> How do you get out of Gusgen Mines?
[GM]Dave>> What do you mean?
Stormfeather>> I went through a door.
Stormfeather>> Now, I'm stuck.
[GM]Dave>> Which door did you go through?
Stormfeather>> I don't know.
Stormfeather>> The one that was open.
[GM]Dave>> ...
[GM]Dave>> I think I just died a little.
Stormfeather>> Oh shut up.
Stormfeather>> I'm lost.
[GM]Dave>> Did it not occur to you to just go back?
Stormfeather>> ...
Stormfeather>> Oh...
Stormfeather>> That could work.

At this point, I'm starting to get annoyed.

But Storm is a friend, so I give her the benefit of the doubt.

Stormfeather>> What the hell?!
[GM]Dave>> What's wrong now?
Stormfeather>> The door I came though...
Stormfeather>> It's closed.
[GM]Dave>> Yeah. They do that.
Stormfeather>> But I don't know how to get out.
Stormfeather>> I'm stuck.
[GM]Dave>> You're not stuck.
[GM]Dave>> You just have to wait for someone to open the door.
Stormfeather>> I'm going to make a GM call.
Stormfeather>> They can get me unstuck.
[GM]Dave>> No.
[GM]Dave>> They really won't.
Stormfeather>> Yes, they will.
Stormfeather>> It says GM calls are for when you're stuck.
Stormfeather>> I'm stuck.
[GM]Dave>> You're not stuck.
[GM]Dave>> You're behind a closed door.
[GM]Dave>> Hell, they open on their own at 2:00.
Stormfeather>> That's like 15 minutes from now.
Stormfeather>> I'm just going to make the GM call.
[GM]Dave>> You really shouldn't do that.

*Ding*

Why doesn't anyone listen to me?

Let's see what she wrote.

GM Call Description: Stuck in Gusgen Mines.

How eloquent.

At least I'm already logged in.

[GM]Dave>> Hail, Adventurer.
[GM]Dave>> Apparently, you don't hear so good.
Stormfeather>> Hey, Dave.
Stormfeather>> I'm stuck.
Stormfeather>> Use your GM-ish powers to get me out.
[GM]Dave>> ...
[GM]Dave>> Do you suffer from short-term memory loss?
[GM]Dave>> I just told you. You're not stuck.
Stormfeather>> Could we hurry this up?
Stormfeather>> I have Garrison soon.
[GM]Dave>> I'm not warping you out of there.
[GM]Dave>> You're not stuck.
Stormfeather>> Then could you at least open the door?
[GM]Dave>> No.
Stormfeather>> C'mon.
[GM]Dave>> Well, damn.
[GM]Dave>> How do I argue with that?
[GM]Dave>> Your debating skills are unrivaled.
Stormfeather>> Just open the damned door.

Here is where I am faced with a tough decision.

Should I open the door for a friend or should I feed her to a nice, big, purple dragon?

[GM]Dave>> ...
[GM]Dave>> Be right there.

I must admit, it was hard to fit Jormy into Gusgen Mines.

Still, the look on Storm's face when she ran right into his mouth... Priceless.

I decided to leave her there dead as a lesson. Maybe now she won't make stupid GM calls.

And at least I didn't have to ban her. I'd hate to lose a friend over something so silly.

*DING*

Oh Christ.

GM Call Description: Want to report abuse by GM.

That's okay.

I've got lots of friends.

21 Comments:

At 8:20 PM, Blogger maathimself said...

First, great post, etc.

 
At 8:30 PM, Blogger OC said...

So being a friend of Gm Dave can have beifits huh? Well not in this case.

 
At 8:32 PM, Blogger Ridicule: Man of peaches! said...

I WIll trade you a peach for your friendship! HUZAH!

 
At 8:43 PM, Blogger TrueStoryGuy said...

I was thinking the same thing when I was running around Gusgen Mines to do my RSE quest, but luckily, I wasn't one of the unfortunate. And, I had Escape/Warp.

 
At 8:51 PM, Blogger Myloko said...

Yay GM Dave! :D

 
At 9:34 PM, Blogger creature124 said...

tried to report you? she had what what was coming to her then

 
At 9:38 PM, Blogger Kittos said...

hahahaha

 
At 9:40 PM, Blogger WanderingJ said...

XDDDDDDD

 
At 11:03 PM, Blogger azuza001 said...

Are you allowed to report stupidity to the player when they report that you did your job to you?

 
At 1:10 AM, Blogger Isaac20 said...

....I knew she was gonna get banned some way or another xD

 
At 1:23 AM, Blogger Reizan said...

Just goes to show you that no one is safe from the repercussions of stupidity when [GM]Dave is near...

 
At 2:39 AM, Blogger luther349 said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 2:44 AM, Blogger luther349 said...

if you a frend of a gm never ever try to report them for giving you a hard time thats the trade off of the benfits you get. doing so is like screaming ban me now. gm daves post might be real or fake but they carry alot of truth of being a gm. if any other gms read this no matter what game they watch over they knoe this as well. but its still funny.

 
At 3:19 AM, Blogger Ninboy said...

I love reading your site but i must say, this was the worst one yet. now im am sure im gona get flamed for this but i had to say it.

 
At 3:35 AM, Blogger LastGun said...

hahaha, awesome. love hearing stories like this of people getting stuck in gusgen mines or garlaige citadel. even had a friend get lost in Fei'Yin before, had to go all the way there and rescue them.

 
At 2:43 AM, Blogger Zelkari said...

It's nice to know that in your almightyness, you are still fair and just to everyone, even your friends.

 
At 11:57 AM, Blogger shelby said...

ha ha. This is one of my favorites. thanks dave!

 
At 3:43 PM, Blogger ilanka said...

*giggle* priceless

 
At 11:28 AM, Blogger moofaloof said...

if you just go down on the door it tends to open up pretty nicely...

 
At 6:23 AM, Blogger Joelskates said...

all hail your GM'ish powers!

 
At 1:03 PM, Blogger Dale said...

how do u have any friends at all... this guy even kills people he calls "friends" with friends like that.. who needs enemies? I can't wait til they ban ur ass..lol.. you so deserve it..more so than gilsellers. more so than windowers and flee assisters.. more so even than account buyers.. because at least they know their being an asshole.. you try to act like the good guy.. but the whole time.. ur the asshole.. Go kill another one of your "friends" that you care so little about.. see how easy that is for this guy.. and i quote " eh, I have plenty of friends"... on another note, why don't u stop calling them friends. It's abvoius u don't giv two shits about them.. by definition I'm pretty sure friends help eachother out when they ask for help.. not kill them.. wow.. this is the guy who represents SE.. and they wonder why we hate em so much..lol..

 

Post a Comment

<< Home