Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Sexual Harassment

Okay. I get it.

Some girls don't like getting "attention" from guys in game. I mean, nobody would want that kind of harassment from random, anonymous internet guys.

But honestly, can you really say you're surprised?

Yeah, it sucks, but some online guys being perverts isn't exactly stop the presses kind of news.

So, when you choose to enter an environment that you know is populated with such guys at all times, you're opening yourself to that kind of behavior.

Is it fair? Not really.

Is life fair? Not really.

Is [GM]Dave fair? If you don't know the answer to this, welcome to the blog.

It just gets on my damned nerves everytime I have to answer a GM call from yet another girl who's upset over attention she didn't want and acting like this never ever happens.

THIS IS NOT NEWS!

Every single player, both male and female, knows that girls sometimes get the wrong kind of attention in game. Everybody.

Hell, I know guys with female mules that have gotten hit on.

One time, I even started sending tells to the other guy who was harassing a male LS member.

[GM]Dave>> Why are you messaging my friend?
Pervert>> I was just looking for sum butt secks.
[GM]Dave>> Do you want to hear the definition of irony?

This stuff just happens. It's just there. It's life.

So, when you send me GM calls about this crap, you really shouldn't expect sympathy.

Not that you should ever expect sympathy from me.

Just this afternoon, I got another one of these stupid calls.

GM Call Description: Female player being sexually harassed.

Sigh.

Maybe I'll get lucky and the servers will explode.

[GM]Dave>> Hello, Adventurer, yada yada yada.
[GM]Dave>> What's up?
Player>> Some guy just started sending me dirty messages.
[GM]Dave>> Wow.
[GM]Dave>> Were they any good?
Player>> ...
Player>> What do you mean?
[GM]Dave>> Were they hot?
Player>> Not really.
[GM]Dave>> Damn.
Player>> Don't you want to know his name?
[GM]Dave>> Not really.
[GM]Dave>> I don't swing that way.
Player>> I mean so you can punish him.
[GM]Dave>> That's disgusting.
Player>> Dammit, I want you to punish him.
[GM]Dave>> Are you coming on to me?
Player>> No...
[GM]Dave>> I put on my robe and wizard hat...
Player>> What?
[GM]Dave>> Nothing.
[GM]Dave>> Nothing.
Player>> Aren't you going to do something?
[GM]Dave>> What do you want me to do?
[GM]Dave>> Bow chikka wow wow
Player>> Oh god...
[GM]Dave>> Wait...
[GM]Dave>> I'm in your area, but I can't seem to locate you.
Player>> I'm near the AH.
[GM]Dave>> Too many people.
[GM]Dave>> What are you wearing?
Player>> Uh... my White Mage AF gear...
[GM]Dave>> Oh yeah, baby.
[GM]Dave>> Damn, that's hot.
Player>> This is sick.
Player>> I'm leaving.
[GM]Dave>> Oh. It's like that, is it?
[GM]Dave>> Seduce the innocent GM and then leave him.
Player>> What the hell are you talking about?
[GM]Dave>> It's too late.
[GM]Dave>> Just go.
Player>> You need help.
[GM]Dave>> Is that an offer?
[GM]Dave>> Bow chikka wow wow
[GM]Dave>> Hello?

Your tell could not be received. The player has logged out, cancelled her content IDs, uninstalled the game, and is right now smashing her modem with a ball-peen hammer.

[GM]Dave>> Dammit.

Seriously. You can't go out in the rain and then complain about getting wet.

Use your blacklist, tell him you're really a guy, do something.

Just don't call me.

17 Comments:

At 4:48 PM, Blogger Goblin Smithy said...

Before any females even start, I fully acknowledge that I am a terrible person.

It's part of the job.

Actually, it's question 2b on the application form.

 
At 5:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Girls are evil in FFXI. They purposefully accept all the help/money/gear you give them, then they tell you they have BFs irl, or that they only like you as a friend and to stop sending them /tells or they'll make sure you'll never be able to walk Jeuno in peace. . .

Girls are the leeches of FFXI >.>;

 
At 5:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

On the woman's side of this I'd like to say I've never accepted gil or items w/o first telling the person they don't have a chance in hell cuz i'm married in RL and my husband plays the game.

On the other hand. I hate some of the girls on this game. I even hate some of the manthras on this game. People seem to forget alot of the players are teenagers (read: walking hormones) and they can't help it sex is on thier mind 24/7.
GM Dave is so right. Girls/Manthras buy a clue. He's not your daddy fix it yourself.

 
At 6:47 PM, Blogger Reeree said...

[GM]Dave>> I put on my robe and wizard hat...

damn I gotta write down your names or something

 
At 7:06 PM, Blogger Goblin Smithy said...

I couldn't resist that one.

If only I could have worked in the Rhinoceros.

 
At 7:07 PM, Blogger Reeree said...

Rhinoceruses don't play FFXI. They fucking charge your ass.

 
At 7:51 PM, Blogger catwho said...

Heh, one of the genuine reasons that I've called a GM. I was getting humped in an exp party by someone after I asked them to stop.

I'd expect it if I was a mithra (and hell, kinda encourage it on my mithra mule), but my main is a tarutaru. If I had been wearing Combat Casters instead of Seers, it would have been impossible to tell my gender at all . . .

 
At 9:01 PM, Blogger Goblin Smithy said...

Wow.

Just wow.

That was possibly the most idiotic reply that I have read yet.

You fail at life.

 
At 9:06 PM, Blogger Yawg said...

That is pretty lame.

Seriously, I would cry if you lost your GM status. I don't even play FFXI and I would go out and buy it now if only to be subtly abused by you. Not really.

I'm cheap and stick to Guild Wars. Would transfer out, but I've got too many friends on it now. Can't just abandon them.... or can i? *rubs chin*

 
At 9:10 PM, Blogger catwho said...

I've seen Player and Pervert wandering around Lower Jeuno a few times myself.

 
At 11:21 PM, Blogger Reeree said...

I can't decide what's funnier, [GM]Dave's blog posts, or the people who fail at life.

That's a total lie. [GM]Dave is funnier.

I'm going to bet that [GM]Dave's supervisor would know whether [GM]Dave was really a GM, and wouldn't have to ask. Think about that one.

tick tick tick tick... boom!

Aw! Now I'm covered in your exploded head. I hate that.

Also, [GM]Dave's real supervisor would not "Sry."

Not twice, anyway.

"Thx."

 
At 10:05 AM, Blogger Pisces6 said...

First, about this post:

As a woman playing FFXI, I usually do not get offers of gifts or gil from people unless they are friends. (While I can think of a few instances, most gifts are from my boyfriend.) Usually it's the opposite; people ask me for gil. :P

Then again, my main character is a mithra, so I think people assume I'm a manthra, when in reality, I'm not. Frankly, I don't care; I love my mithra character just fine. ;P I don't go around flirting with others and asking for gil or gifts in return. (Yuck. >.< )

As for harrassment, I never really received any. ;P Again, maybe it's people thinking I'm a manthra. XD

Anyway, I'd just like to say that your posts have always managed to make me smile. Keep up with the good (or should I say evil?) work! =)

 
At 6:08 AM, Blogger Kris Rothe said...

"girls are evil in ffxi, they accept blablabla"...? so far EVERYONE complained that i dont accept any gifts at all... o.O you just cant do it right, can you?

 
At 9:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

[GM]Dave>> I put on my robe and wizard hat...

(Hi, I'm going through your archives after being referred here from another "blog")


Is it bad that I recognize this as a bash.org classic quote?

(Shall we now call you Bloodninja? :-)

 
At 11:29 PM, Blogger Camille said...

Hey Dave, I've been reading your blog since well.. since I started playing FFXI..

Yes. I'm a chick.
Yes. I was proposed to the first day i played.
Yes. He offered me a ring.
It was shiney.
And fit perfectly.

and matched my RDM getup smashingly.

However, no, i didn't accept or beg him to help me level or have him buy me shit.
Honestly. If you're female, breathing and simultaneously playing FFXI and you honestly believe you will not be hit on at least 80000 times a day...

Well...

You're a spoon.

My advice: grow a pair (of breasts, in this case) and get the hell over it and begin an exciting drinking game based upon the number of times certain players say such things as "bewbz, teh sexx, ladiez, girl, hot, etc."

Or just quit playing and become a nun.

seriously people. thats half the fun. the drinking games i mean. not the nun part. ::shiver::

 
At 11:11 AM, Blogger Camille said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 8:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Firstly I would like to acknowledge that this blog is satire and it frankly does it's job very well. So I am aware that this point of view is not meant to be taken in any serious capacity.

but I would also like to say that I have witnessed/been target of Sexual Harrasment on FFXI and it is not fun and definately is a punishable offence.
Yes, I'm a guy. yes my char is male.

Either way, nothing ruins a fun day of questing quite like haveing a party mate trying to initiate a cybering session with you. (And I was 13 at the time to boot) Now, whether the person behind the mithra was male or female I do not care. still creepy.

As for females getting extra help, it happens but I don't see it often. I'm more often on the receiveing end of help from others anyways. heh. (I'm a poor fisherman in the game.)

And finally: The insinuation that Males, either teen or adult, are incapable of not being perverts is quite frankly jarring. Make fun of the jerks and pervs sure... but don't generalise.

I would once again like to acknowledge that I am aware this is satirical. my comments are more blowing off steam in regards to certain social things.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home