Friday, April 21, 2006

A Serious Note

Sorry to disappoint you, but this will not be another episode of [GM]Dave's life.

I am seriously considering quitting this blog.

I love writing these stories. I probably laugh more than you do reading them. They're every weird, funny thought Ihave during the day put into story form, and I just love doing it.

But recent events have taken some of that joy away.

I was running ads on the top of both of my blogs to generate some additional revenue. It was not a lot of money, but it made the blog feel all the more worthwhile. Like I was making money doing something that I honestly enjoyed.

It was never about the money to begin with. I've been writing humor stories and posts on countless forums for years. These blogs simply offered a new outlet for my creativity. These blogs were just another way for me to entertain my fellow FFXI players and, hopefully, bring them a much deserved laugh.

They money was, however, cool. It felt like a form of feedback really on howmany people checked my blog each day. My funnier days, I seemed to generate more clicks. It was something I could use to understand how you liked or disliked the days update. As well, the ads didn't cost my readers anything.

The company that delivered those ads, however, has decided that I was attempting to generate false revenue by inflating the clicks on my ads. At least, that's what I got from the form letter e-mail I received telling me that all the money I had earned was being taken away for no apparent reason.

I've gone through the appeal process with no success. They've refused to give me any idea why my account is being closed or any proof of impropriety. Basically, it amounts to they have the money so they can take it away.

Unfortunately, this entire situation has left me with a sour taste in my mouth. It's kind of hard to come up with funny ideas after someone basically accuses you of cheating and then takes $100 on you.

As of right now, I don't know what's going to happen. I feel cheated and mistreated. I also don't really feel like being funny right now.

You never know. Maybe tomorrow, I'll wake up and feel like writing again. I really hope so.

If not, I'm glad you enjoyed this blog and I'm glad I was able to make your day just a little brighter for such a short time.

Remember, all of life's problems can be solved with a dragon.

-[GM]Dave

18 Comments:

At 6:31 PM, Blogger Sneaky Ninja Quick Bunny said...

I am very sorry to hear about what has been going on. It seems that the majority of companies have been trying to screw their consumers and customers out of things lately. I surely hope that people respond to this post in particular, because this blog has brought me many laughs and keeps me smiling on those bad days (including the shit I go through in FFXI on a regular basis). If you want to really get at the company you are dealing with, you could always ask readers of this blog to sign a petition. I'm sure that there are plenty of readers out there that will openly support you. It's not right for things to end like this. One should never have to walk away from a project or something the love and be angry. I would jsut liek to conclude by saying that I wish you luck and really hope you come back to write more.

 
At 8:49 PM, Blogger catwho said...

We would like to know the company -- the appeals may not work, but a lot of angry emails might have some effect. This was actually linked to me from a WoW friend who knew I played XI a lot more and thought I would appreciate it -- I responded by a barrage of screenshots showing my HNM getting eaten by the Complaints Manager. This not only rippled through the FFXI community, but the communities of many other MMOs who got a kick out of it even if they couldn't understand all the jokes.

 
At 9:07 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Man that blows. I know exactly what you mean about how it's not really about the money, but knowing you're doing something you like and getting a little cash for it. It helps keep you motivated.

I also would like to know what service screwed you over so I know not to use for my site.

 
At 9:56 PM, Blogger Tunacubes said...

Dude, come on. Read the last 17 posts here. None of us want you to quit. As you said before, the money wasn't the reason you were doing this. Making people laugh is why you did it. Sure, you lost 100 dollars, but come on! If you stop now, you'll make 100s of people not laugh. I know I don't speak for myself when I say that I have literally laughed until I cried readint these posts. I have never read anything so funny in all my life, and it has brightened my day.
Please don't stop. In exchange for you not stopping, I'll let you feed me to a dragon! Hell, I'll even provoke it.

 
At 2:55 AM, Blogger Snuggleteddy said...

Snuggleteddy knows all about making money. Chicks dig rich guys.

Step 1) Get a paypal account (if you don't already have one.
Step 2) Edit your blogger templates to include a donate link
Step 3) Earn mad cash from rabid fanboys and fangirls

We all enjoy reading the comedic prose you share with us. Some of us would be happy to show our appreciation with cash. I bet you could easily get your $100 that Google stole from you, and you wouldn't have to be sending people to gilseller websites to get it.

 
At 4:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

...

 
At 4:46 AM, Blogger Goblin Smithy said...

I'd prefer not to name the company (though most of you already figuredit out).

And yeah, I was just about to hit the $100 minimum mark when they cut me off. It seems they do that to people with small accounts.

I really doubt I'm going to quit the blog. This just kind of took the wind out of my sails.

Also, to the person who suggested a paypal donate button, I considered that, but honestly I don't think I'm funny enough to warrant people giving me their money.

 
At 6:26 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

it's true...here's another comment telling u not to quit.

please don't quit :D

 
At 8:40 AM, Blogger BenoSmash said...

/em shows support for [GM]Dave

IF you continue and decide to post on another blog(type)-machine, would you let us know the link?

 
At 1:25 PM, Blogger Hawklord2112 said...

shit.

sorry dude. possibly shouldn't have linked you to my friends who are WoW GM's

 
At 2:51 PM, Blogger Tianshii said...

pantufla, you realize you're one of those people this blog makes fun of. As [GM]Dave might say, You fail at life. Have a nice day.

[GM]Dave,
Keep up the funny writings! Call your local news meanies and see if they want to call out google for cheating the small people out of money.
If you keep up the blog, wonderful. I enjoy going into giggle fits @ work as I read. If not, thank you for the laughs^^ and I'll miss making this and Smithy part of my down-time reads.

 
At 4:44 PM, Blogger Goblin Smithy said...

I'm going to research some other ad services, but I decided to take the advice of several posters and throw a Paypal donation button on both blogs.

I really doubt anyone will donate, but that's cool. I'm just going to write as the ideas come to me.

 
At 1:40 PM, Blogger Snuggleteddy said...

Prove [GM]Dave wrong, dudes.

Click on his paypal link.

Show him a little love, dudes, with money. He's probably out of Jack Daniels by now, and every $1 helps.

See, dudes, getting that nasty form letter of doom was a low point in his day - like getting a GM call. Dropping some cash in his tip jar would be a high point in his day - like feeding the person who called the GM to a dragon.

 
At 1:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dave,
You are an inspiration. You bring hilarity to the daily happenings of our crapy economy and the justified consumption of nooblets. Please dont stop. I'm a little short this week but i did send you a dollar. I'll send more on payday. PLEASE DONT GO AWAY!

 
At 5:08 AM, Blogger Craig Wall said...

I just wanted to say two things to you Dave, after discovering your blog today:

1) I love you. In a sincerely, solely platonic sort of way.

2) The company you're talking about, which Blogger actually tries to promote the use of, has had a history of doing this to customers. In fact, although I can't really post a link about it (since we're not saying the name), there has been a Class-Action lawsuit building against this company for its habit of doing this to people. I'm sure you can search more information online about it.

Take care!

 
At 2:31 PM, Blogger Quylein said...

I'll make the 45th comment. Viva la' revolution. Keep up the good work

 
At 6:58 PM, Blogger Nick Pawson said...

oh, the irony.

 
At 6:58 PM, Blogger Nick Pawson said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home