Sunday, October 18, 2009

[GM]Dave's Regrets - Vol. 7

So what did I save for my last regret?

I've regretted assaulting girls and not assaulting guys. I've regretted bad jobs and etiquette. I've regretted making my mother cry.

And hell, I REALLY regretted the whole threesome thing.

Or lack thereof.

But what could I have left for last?

Well, one of my biggest regrets is just disappearing for a year.

Yeah, I know. Compared to two hot teenage girls, that doesn't sound like much of a regret, but bear with me here.

I love this blog. Writing this blog makes me smile when I'm pissed off and keeps me sane when the world is driving me crazy.

Plus, no one else really listens to me bitch and complain.

Susan pretends to, but I can see this look in her eye when I really start to geek out. I'm going on and on about how Mario should just let Bowser have that high maintenance bitch and her eyes just sort of glaze over like she's just waiting for me to finish.

Not you guys. You guys actually listen to my wild rantings and ravings.

That means a lot to me.

I ended up quitting for a year because I just felt like it was more work than fun and more pointless than funny.

Don't get me wrong. I know I'm not exactly curing Cancer here, but at least my writings had a point. At least they meant something.

Rather than try and find out what the problem was, I just decided to take a break.

See, that's not a way to solve a problem. You don't really solve a problem by ignoring it.

Unless that problem involves a pet. Ignoring a pet will eventually solve the problem. Sure, it might not get solved in a conventional "everyone is still breathing" kind of way, but it is solved.

I walked away because that was just easier.

Then, I popped in once every few months and said "I'M BACK!"

I wasn't back.

There was no back.

That was a pretty F&%@ED up thing to do. A lot of you guys would check the blog for updates in hopes of an end to my retarded hiatus and then I'd be gone again.

It's probably be funny if I was screwing with you on purpose, but I wasn't. I just kept thinking everything was back to normal and then the same old problems would kick me in the face.

And the worst part is how many great stories I missed, how many things happened at work or in the world that I thought would make great posts.

But I didn't post them.

Why the hell didn't I post them?

That was the weird thing about the whole hiatus nonsense. I had so many things that I thought were funny or awesome (or even retarded), but I didn't post them because I didn't want to feel obligated to post again the next day.

Honestly, I think I just went retarded for a while.

Looking back, the whole thing seems really stupid. Just up and quitting like that. But, in the long run, I think it helped me keep things going because it kept me from burning out.

I just wish I could have figured that out without taking a year off.

Man, the next time someone suggests one of these emotional theme weeks, I'm going to have to tell them to die in a fire or something. This shit just isn't right.

I should be ranting about video games or laughing about that time I killed a hooker or something.

[GM]Dave doesn't do emotions.

Except rage.

Yeah, that one I've pretty much got down.

23 Comments:

At 9:22 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Awesome. You rock GM Dave, and we love ya. Your posts always end up being quoted in some manner or another at some point during an average day with me and my friends, so thumbs up :)

 
At 9:37 PM, Blogger Soren said...

Yes, I did indeed miss you for your long, long (long) hiatus. But I still checked the site every couple weeks/months, and when I lost my laptop (and bookmarks), I didn't check for quite a while. Then I went "Huh, I wonder if [GM]Dave started writing again..." and lo and behold! You had a whole month of postings! I was ecstatic!

I'm very glad you decided to come back, I look forward to checking your site every couple days and seeing a new post!

 
At 10:11 PM, Blogger Kulaudo said...

I remember that hiatus. It made me sad because I was without Dave inspired laughter.

I would say something retarded like, "Hey, do you regret your hiatus with Goblin Smithy?" But you don't, you send those magical stories to the fan club =D

 
At 10:31 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Sniff* Dave you just gave us a window into your psyche.

 
At 10:37 PM, Blogger Beunolas said...

Well Dave, being someone who's been here from the beginning, and stuck through the hiatus, I can honestly say that we've come full circle. The blog is just as funny as it was however many years ago. Just don't pull that crap again! ^_^

 
At 10:39 PM, Blogger Zetanio said...

Cheeeeeesssyyyyyyyy

but we love you.

 
At 11:38 PM, Blogger Ricardo said...

I still check Goblin Smithy's blog.

Every day.

:(

 
At 12:08 AM, Blogger NSomnia said...

"No. This is not a goodbye. I just need a little break.

Stop crying."

almost 3 years and still crying

 
At 1:33 AM, Blogger Dorian Mode said...

There were consequences. You were missed. Banks failed, governments toppled, locusts ate the crops and cheerless corporations ground the workers under their heels.

Don't do it again.

 
At 2:06 AM, Blogger Rachelle said...

It was probably the idea of running two different blogs that was wearing you down.

That, or just the idea of people depending on you....man, that's huge! Even if it's just for something funny to read, you know there are people who wait for you to post it. And when you're first starting, that's really intimidating, right?

I'm glad you stuck with it though. I've really enjoyed reading the blog.

 
At 4:39 AM, Blogger ladydyani said...

If it helps, I regret that I quit checking for updates. If I hadn't needed to spend some time on the kids' computer (my old computer, favorites list intact), I never would have known you were back to updating. I've spent the last month catching up.

 
At 6:55 AM, Blogger Cidolfas said...

This blog is one of the few things that can consistently make me smile or laugh out loud, so never think you don't have a reason to keep it going!

 
At 9:04 AM, Blogger tyranastrasz said...

"This blog is one of the few things that can consistently make me smile or laugh out loud, so never think you don't have a reason to keep it going!"

Seconding this. And sometimes I miss Goblin Smithy, but trying to keep both blogs going at once probably went a long way towards that burnout. =(

 
At 9:48 AM, Blogger Lenwe said...

wait, killed a hooker? Go on....

 
At 11:22 AM, Blogger AzureShadow said...

I like the hooker-killing comment at the end there, that was a nice double-take.

 
At 12:43 PM, Blogger Kyle said...

I remember the break. Glad you're back.

Really, really sorry about the threesome though. That sucks.

 
At 3:49 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

So moving... Was such a pleasant surprise the day I saw you were posting again.

 
At 3:57 PM, Blogger Leut said...

hmph...[GM]Dave has finally seriously tried out Dark Knight.

 
At 2:22 PM, Blogger Mattoxic said...

That was cool, well written theme week dave - just glad your back now :)

 
At 5:16 PM, Blogger ^Veronika Teixeira^ =) said...

Awwwwww Dave actually loves us. So damn good. But is awesome that you decided to come back. Don't you ever leave again.
And don't get all emo on us in the next theme week, do something funnier and better XD
(Not that we don't like your emotions shown off every once in a very long while) =)

 
At 9:57 PM, Blogger Gambler_Justice said...

I started reading this blog a few months before the hiatus - and man that break hurt. I kept checking this site every day until one day I just stopped. Then a long time later I decided to visit this site again - celebrated at your comeback and caught up with your posts. It's good to have you back.

 
At 6:29 PM, Blogger Sri said...

Just checked the site again randomly... FINALLY!!!!

 
At 9:14 AM, Blogger alorian said...

"Honestly, I think I just went retarded for a while."

Did that happen again?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home