Monday, October 05, 2009

Finally Fantasy

OH.

MY.

GOD.

They have FINALLY released the original NES version of Final Fantasy for the Wii Virtual Console.

You can go, right now, and download one of the greatest games ever made. And it's only 500 Wii points!

I'm not sure what that is in human money, but I'm very excited about it.

For the first time in 22 years, you can experience the magic, the majesty, the wonder of the game that gave birth to the greatest RPG franchise EVER.

The very first time.

Unless you still have the NES version.

Or an emulator.

Or you bought the Playstation 1 remake.

Or the PSP remake.

Or that Gameboy Advance remake with Final Fantasy I and II on it.

Is there a version for the iPhone yet? There's probably a version for the iPhone.

But if you, despite the overwhelming odds, somehow have not purchased one of these games, then this is the VERY first chance you've had to play it.

Otherwise, it's just a regular Monday.

You know, you COULD just go buy it again. That is an option.

I realize you probably own seventy odd versions of the game, but this is the first one that you can play on your Wii.

Unless you use homebrew. Then you probably have a NES emulator on your Wii.

Still, on the off chance that you don't either own one of those many, many, MANY versions AND you don't have homebrew on your Wii, this is totally awesome.

What are you waiting for? There's a console in your house that doesn't have Final Fantasy I on it.

Can you really live that way? Can you live like an animal?

Only an animal could live with only seventy versions of Final Fantasy I.

Seriously. You'd better hurry the hell up.

I don't care if you don't own a Wii. Go to the store and buy a Wii and then start reading this post from the beginning.

See? Now, there's a console in your house with no Final Fantasy I on it.

Get that Wii shop going and pay good money to buy a digital version of a game you probably own at least three physical copies of.

What? Makes sense to me.

18 Comments:

At 6:54 PM, Blogger Kahsha said...

OMG!

I did not know!

Many thanks for the update!

I'm not downloading it though...
I already have far too many that I haven't played at all.

... sometimes I hate my collecting addiction...

 
At 8:00 PM, Blogger Ricardo said...

Thanks Dave but I make do with my microwave port of FF1.

Thats like 2 daily minutes of gameplay for me!

 
At 8:01 PM, Blogger Leut said...

I'd rather play Dragon Warrior.

 
At 1:18 AM, Blogger Dyamalos said...

I have homebrew on the wii, I also have a hacked PSP. and I own the GBA remake....

I think I'm good.

Although, now that I think about it, I never did put the rom onto my wii...

brb...

 
At 3:47 AM, Blogger Joshua Jackson said...

I hate you Dave. Now i have to go buy Wii points and get FF1 on my Wii just to have it.

AND YOU CAN'Y BUY JUST 500 WII POINTS!!!!!

 
At 6:45 AM, Blogger Cidolfas said...

Oddly enough, I don't own a single copy of FF1. I played it as a kid on a borrowed copy, then tried it on an emulator years later and put it down very quickly. Compared to modern RPGs, it's practically unplayable, even in the "remakes". Only nostalgia (or masochism) could make someone play it today.

 
At 9:11 AM, Blogger Soren said...

The original Final Fantasy, while not having a very good story and pretty much giving you a world to explore with no direction, was still a fun game, I thought. I had the NES version, then got it for GBA a while back. It's got virtually no replay value though, so I'm not sure why SE keeps spitting out ports. Ooooh, new graphics! So what? Same game.

Now, FFII, THAT's a game for masochists. I've never been able to beat it, no matter how many times I've tried, with a walkthrough for the dungeons even, just so I could actually say that I've beaten it. No go =/ (Yes, I'm referring to the original, not FFIV, which I'm currently in love with on the DS)

 
At 9:59 AM, Blogger Hylian said...

i have the toaster version... does that count? i can also play it on my microwave screen. i have a version of ff1 on my water bottle, AND as an addon in world of warcraft! but alas, the real bragging i have with it is the version i have on my P-(YOU DON'T WANNA READ THAT! ENOUGH!)- and it kinda looks like fighter's sword.

what?

don't judge me!

 
At 6:26 AM, Blogger Tiger's Lair said...

You definitely peaked my curiosity with this post. FFXI is my first game of the FF series I've ever played. I've never been into RPGs and such. After I read this post, last night I stayed up to 2 am search my iPhone App store for Final Fantasy. Behold they had 2 games on there: Crystal Defenders & Vanguard Storm. Both based off of FF Tactics A2

 
At 9:02 AM, Blogger Soren said...

@Tiger's Lair: I had a ton of fun with Crystal Defenders when I found it on XBLA. I love tower defense games, and there was just enough variation in levels and different characters to justify it's 800MS ($10USD). If it's cheaper as an iPhone app, I say go for it :)

 
At 12:10 PM, Blogger usagemayvary said...

the original was fantastic. Paying for it on wii vs playing it on emulator on a nice big PC so I can actually do other shit? screw nintendo.

 
At 2:34 PM, Blogger Jakk Frost said...

@Soren - Actually it does have a replay value. The replay value is in making different parties to try and win with. Although today's gamers don't find any replay value unless there's hidden scenes or endings to unlock.

As for me, I still have my original FF1 for NES, in the box, with the instruction manual, and the sleeve, all in near-mint condition. I don't know if the internal battery works anymore, probably not, but I've got all the bits still there, nonetheless.

Now if only I could find a working NES to play it on :(

 
At 5:55 PM, Blogger Kristina Jarvis said...

You are hilarious, however, I have none of those games and I have a Wii and I might just download it, all because of you.

 
At 8:21 PM, Blogger Sean Hughes said...

"And it's only 500 Wii points!

I'm not sure what that is in human money, but I'm very excited about it."

$5

 
At 11:16 AM, Blogger Soren said...

@Jakk Frost: Well, I did own two copies. I don't know what happened to my NES cartridge though... Somehow I still have Dragon Warrior though, heh.

I did actually play it through twice on the GBA, but it was ~3 years between plays. First time with WAR, BLM, RDM, THF, second time with WAR, BLM, WHM, MNK. I thought it was easier the second time.

 
At 8:45 PM, Blogger Goblin Smithy said...

Sean took me seriously.

That is so adorable.

 
At 11:21 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 11:24 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

What really sucks is that the version on VC has absolutely no bug fixes. None of the special weapon types do extra damage, several spells either don't work or actually counter their stated purpose, running is bugged, critical hit rates are bugged, the INT stat does literally nothing, and so so much more.

Hell they haven't even fixed a few of the bugs by the GBA version... Then they added a new bug to the PSP version where you can equip anything to any slot.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home