Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Now With 100% More O

Okay... I've got to ask you guys.

Does anyone else notice what a weird name Valentione's Day is?

No, I don't mean Valentine's Day. This is not a post about how much Valentine's Day sucks for guys.

That'll be Thursday probably.

Actually, I'm talking about the annual FFXI in-game event, Valentione's Day.

Is the extra O really fooling anyone?

Really?

I mean, the dev guys make up new words every other day. Seriously, they have a guy whose only job is to make up new words.

Vana'diel.

Uggalepih.

Pso'Xja.

I'm not even kidding around. Those are the actual names of areas in the game.

Honestly, the guy could just mash his hand on the keyboard to make up a name for a new area.

Dev1>> Hey, what are we going to call this new city?
Dev1>> We need something that captures its majesty.
Dev2>> How about... Asmaci?
Dev1>> Can I get an apostrophe in there somewhere?
Dev2>> As'Maci?
Dev1>> Perfect.

So, is it too much to ask that he just make up a new name?

Is that so much to ask?

Just mash your sweaty palm on your keyboard and we're done.

We'll figure out where you're going with the idea. It's an annual event that occurs about midway through February and involves hearts and chocolate.

I don't think we're going to need Grissom on this one.

Are they afraid that people will get confused?

Player1>> Woah... What's this new event?
Player1>> You have to hand out hearts to NPCs.
Player2>> Maybe it's Arbor Day.
Player3>> It's Flag day.
Player3>> Flag day is in February, right?
Player1>> Man, why couldn't they give it an easier name?
Player1>> My head hurts.

Do we really need players like that?

I mean, they don't have to go crazy with it or anything. I'm not suggesting they put seven Qs or three hyphens or anything.

But at least jazz it up a little.

Give me something to work with here.

Anything.

If I'm going to be spending five straight hours in one of the starting cities trying to get a level 1 hat with frilly hearts on it, the least you could do is make it sound cool.

It just makes me so angry that I have half a mind to skip the whole damned event out of principal.

And I would...

But then I wouldn't get a hat.

13 Comments:

At 7:47 PM, Blogger Rumplfugly said...

Hats are important. They're similar to cowbells. Clearly we need more of them.

 
At 7:47 PM, Blogger Hunter said...

"But then I wouldn't get a hat."

I sometimes wish that this wasn't my exact motivation for doing things in the game.

Oh who am I kidding? I love new hats!

 
At 9:17 PM, Blogger Daniel McPartlin said...

Sadly, there is no new hat...

 
At 3:01 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

free Hat! free Hat!

 
At 11:34 AM, Blogger Tristan Kain said...

What hat?

Seriously. Wiki's got zero information on a new hat from this year's event.

 
At 12:32 PM, Blogger Rachelle said...

Not to bring up the dreaded WoW, but I've always liked how they named their holidays. Winter Veil, Lunar Festival, Love is in the Air festival...just kinda funny

 
At 1:35 PM, Blogger Fireball said...

You know what's annoying with all those names ? Not the spelling but... how the heck are we supposed to pronounce 'em ? It never occured to me before but now that my LS has Vent, I am kinda screwed when I want to tell them where to go to...

 
At 6:11 PM, Blogger Tyler said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who found the "O" to be a little weird.

I hate trying to pronounce it.

 
At 7:24 PM, Blogger Eibhilin said...

I'm saying screw the hat. Every time I walk past a "Valentione's Single" I compulsively want to stab myself in the face. Never mind that in the two minutes I thought I might actually attempt the event there were no men anywhere to be found. EVERY MAN I KNOW PLAYS A FEMALE. Ugh.

 
At 8:44 AM, Blogger Nomad Moogle said...

Vahl-enn-tee-ohn-z Day?

/sigh. I give up.

 
At 8:46 AM, Blogger Shadowdancer said...

Warhammer Online has a Valentine's event. It's called "Night of Murder", and awards titles and nice items for caving in a lot of heads. Much better than chocolate. Oh, you also get to play catch with a skull.

 
At 9:56 AM, Blogger Yotevol said...

The time is here,
The romantic scene is set.

Gather your loved one,
And find a beautiful setting.

Something both of you can share,
And holding hands while walking together there.

Then each of you pulling out hammers,
And seeing who can kill who first.

Because nothing says loving,
Like a skull bash for Valentione's Day.

 
At 10:04 AM, Blogger Dorian Mode said...

Like swapping the 'e' in 'principle' for an 'a' and moving it over a bit? It's like a whole different word ... I mean, if you're buying that whole spelling and words thing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home