Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Oh, Calm The Hell Down

Yes, yes, yes. We all heard the news.

FFXIII is heading to the Xbox 360.

This is big news, huge news, EPIC NEWS!

Do you know what this isn't?

This isn't a bad thing.

I know, I know. You figured you'd hit the blog and I'd be ranting and raving about loyalty and heritage and how the Xbox sucks.

I do tend to rant.

But honestly, this isn't that big a deal. No matter how you look at it, this is still a good thing for pretty much everyone involved.

Well... Maybe not Sony.

Still though, FFXIII Versus (the second game to the FFXIII arc) is still a PS3 exclusive. So, SE taps into a new audience, the Xbox360 fan base, and, assuming they get hooked on FFXIII as easily as the Playstation fan base did, many people will cross sides in the console war to get the full experience.

Hence, Sony still wins. The PS3 player base will still purchase FFXIII for the PS3 and they might actually gain a number of people as 360 players come over.

And Microsoft comes out a winner as, for the first time, a single player Final Fantasy game will make its way to the Xbox console. Quite a few people on the fence about purchasing a 360 might be swayed by this announcement.

Of course, the biggest winner of all is Square Enix. They are able to open one of their most powerful and loved series to a whole new segment of the gaming population. They still get to tap into the heavy PS3 rpg fan base while perhaps broadening their horizons.

Am I a little wary? Sure.

Who knows what being on the Xbox 360 could do to a Final Fantasy title? Master Chief riding a Chocobo through Liberty City?

If that actually happens, I am totally not to blame.

Still, at face value, the whole thing sounds like a good move for everybody. I mean, you can feel free to go fanboy crazy and burn your favorite forums to the ground.

But really... This isn't that big a deal.

You know I love a good fight. I'd be right there with you guys, holding my pitchfork aloft and shouting obscenities.

I just don't see it this time.

I really think it's time we got past blind fanboyism and judged games based on merit and not on a misguided sense of loyalty.

On an unrelated note, tomorrow's post will be about how WoW is stupid.

20 Comments:

At 6:57 PM, Blogger Aen said...

Well, this is certainly news.

I usually hit your blog after work, Dave, then the news (gaming and then the rest of this boring world), but I would not have noticed.

You certainly skewered the point, though. In the end, we're all winners. You can say what you want about communism, but when you apply some of the paradigm to the gaming world, the gamer will come out winning almost 100%.

Thank goodness for the new wave of crossplatform-ism. Put MGS4 on XBox360 too and I'll have 400 spare bucks from not having to buy a PS3.

 
At 7:23 PM, Blogger Darkid said...

man... what is this world coming too... why did SE have to jump to the series of FF to xbox D= why?!?!?!?! The only thing that im sad about is that we wont get the full experience that the PS3 could make wih its amazing graphics, you say change MGS4 to xbox i el oh el at you. if you havent played or seen the ps3 with your own eyes you will never see what has been lost, i will tell you though.. an amazing experience of sureal graphics that will blow your mind... but that is all gone ... screw this im going to MPK some rmt..GAAA!!!

 
At 8:15 PM, Blogger Kahsha said...

Win
&
Win

I saw this coming.

 
At 8:26 PM, Blogger TallWhiteNinja said...

This makes me so freaking happy: I didn't want to spend hundreds on a PS3 just for FFXIII. I love my PS1 and PS2, but Sony's gotten off to a pretty bad start with the PS3 and this makes it worse. A BluRay player and arguably better graphics aren't enough if you don't have the exclusive games everyone wants.

Besides, it's fun to watch PS fanboys froth at the mouth with outrage.

 
At 9:05 PM, Blogger Grenade71822 said...

Can't wait till tomorrow.

 
At 9:05 PM, Blogger Levi Black said...

Meh, Square dropped Nintendo when the published Final Fantasy VII on the PSX, so even if they (might someday) drop Sony for Massively-Large-Own-The-World-Software-Evil-Empire the I'm sure it won't totally be a bad thing.

 
At 1:32 AM, Blogger Punk| said...

Wise move on Square-Enix's part.

 
At 1:44 AM, Blogger Taylor-MadeAK said...

What? No comment about FFXI already being on the Xbox2?

 
At 5:13 AM, Blogger Arathorn-Gilgamesh said...

Help me clarify this, will FF:XIII still be coming to the PS3 or is it going to be exclusive to the 360? I'm a little confused at this point as to what is actually happening. Thanks in advance. ^^

 
At 5:41 AM, Blogger Slappy said...

No as far as I know PS3 will still have the title also it just won't be exclusive. Great insight on the blog I didn't even think of that, of course it is assuming that the sequel will be PS3 exclusive. I was pretty surprised FFXIII was going to 360 after reading many interviews where SE made a point of saying which side their bread was buttered on.

 
At 6:04 AM, Blogger Becky said...

To my Dearest [GM]

I love you.

Your friend,
Aredia.

 
At 7:47 AM, Blogger RurouniZanza said...

Are people seriously making a big deal out of this? I don't really bother to check forums much now-a-days, so I don't know.

But seriously, it's not like SE is leaving Sony altogether like they did to Nintendo. And I don't remember there being a huge commotion when Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles was made an exclusive for the Gamecube.

I am betting that most people that are making a big deal out of this, are American teenagers that are too young to remember SE's past with consoles.

 
At 7:51 AM, Blogger Dezarn said...

I agree that ffxiii being on xbox360 is a good thing, however, not many people heard what was said about the release of the game. SE is going to release the PS3 version and the Xbox360 version at the same time. SE also said that theyll start working on the xbox port AFTER the ps3 version is finished. meaning there will be a ton of PST ffxiii's sitting around gathering dust in a storage room.

Btw the only way to get the ps3 version before they finish the xbox one is to be able to read japanese and import.

 
At 1:40 PM, Blogger Dezarn said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 1:46 PM, Blogger Dezarn said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 6:32 PM, Blogger Tyler said...

You totally hammered this nail on the head, [GM]Dave. I frequent The Escapist magazine forums and people were up in arms about how big of a deal this was. Most people thought this was the end of the PS3, but it really isn't. It's great for the Xbox, and it's great for SquareEnix. I'm on the fence, but this hasn't deterred me from the PS3. After all, it's for the PS3 too still.

 
At 8:34 PM, Blogger Xatticus said...

"On an unrelated note, tomorrow's post will be about how WoW is stupid."

OH BOY OH BOY OH BOY!!! I can't wait! *giggle*

 
At 5:12 AM, Blogger JAFO said...

Alrighty then...I guess all that high living in their parents basements has warped the minds of the little ones...I should make this easily understood and brief so as to not melt their fragile minds...OK, here goes...GROW UP!
I am sure that your devotion to the teat that is your favorite console will win you major points in your gamer's valhalla, but honestly, who cares what platform a game is coming out on...it makes no sense to get your little rage against the microsoft machine going over the fact that your beloved FFXIII is coming out on another system in addition to your PS3...get over it.

 
At 1:48 AM, Blogger AzureShadow said...

But the real issue here is that they didn't make it for the Wii.

Why should I have to go out and buy a piece of shit console just so I can play the next Final Fantasy game?

Oh well, FFTA2 will keep me going for a while.

 
At 2:46 PM, Blogger Egnar said...

I don't understand why people are getting so upset over this. . .How does other people getting to play a game affect your enjoyment of the game at all?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home