Sunday, July 13, 2008

Dynamis - Life

It's really funny how parts of your life start to resemble FFXI after a while.

I know they say that art imitates life, but honestly, anyone whose played this game at all will tell you how even the most mundane parts of everyday life start to resemble the game.

It's kind of like the Matrix, but without the latex clothing and two bad sequels.

Bah dump psshhhhh.

Yesterday, Susan and I got invited to a birthday party.

Actually, our daughter got invited to a birthday party.

Immediately, my mind filled with dread. Three hours of being chased around by ankle biters while you spend time trying to make sure your own ankle biter isn't off somewhere jamming a fork in an outlet or something.

Yay.

On the way to the party though, something strange happened. I started to get this weird sense like I've done this all before.

That's when it hit me... Dynamis.

Actually, that's when Susan hit me. Apparently, I tend to let the car swerve into other lanes when I'm thinking.

She looks so cute when she's frightened for her life.

Anyway, we trudge all the way across town to the entry point. A number of individuals were gathering together because it wasn't quite time to enter.

I honestly half expected to see a mother casting Protect IV on her kid or something.

When time finally came, we each had to trade our item, Birthday Gift, to a small table near the door to gain entry.

As I zoned in, I found myself in a large group of parents trying to organize. The parents playing support roles stodd off to one side and the rest of us formed up near the front.

That's when I saw them...

Amongst the cold, lifeless terrain (of the Children's play centre), was a horde of children walking in slow, deliberate circles.

We couldn't spend three hours just staring at the children (despite my opinion that that sounded like the best course of action), so we sent one of the parents ahead to pull a manageable group of kids aside so they could be handled.

Unfortunately, he strayed into the aggro range of another kid and, before we could do anything, we had a massive link on our hands.

It was total chaos. Children running every which way. There were kids running with sticks, attacking people with bats.

It was crazy.

Our group tried to hold them off as best we could, but, in the end, their numbers just proved to be too much. We were overrun and eventually had a full party wipe.

And, from all of this, do you know what I learned?

I learned something very important.

Life might often times remind you of FFXI.

But people still freak out if you punch their kid in the face.

Good lesson that.

Seriously, though. That was one hell of a punch.

20 Comments:

At 7:10 PM, Blogger Psylex said...

This is why I never want kids of my own.

 
At 7:17 PM, Blogger Arathorn-Gilgamesh said...

Weird how analogous to every day life FFXI can sometimes be. This one fits perfectly. ^^

 
At 8:32 PM, Blogger Punk| said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 8:32 PM, Blogger Punk| said...

"I learned something very important.

Life might often times remind you of FFXI.

But people still freak out if you punch their kid in the face.

Good lesson that.

Seriously, though. That was one hell of a punch."

I LOL'ed.

 
At 8:33 PM, Blogger Othirem said...

Since my time in FFXI, I realized something...

Tarutaru resemble children. Evil, rabid, little children.

Well, at least you survived.

 
At 8:52 PM, Blogger NSomnia said...

at least you didn't pour gasoline and lit them on fire saying Firaga

 
At 10:54 PM, Blogger Eli said...

/em puts her face in her hand

This is one of those "you know you've played FFXI too much when" moments.

But yes, I can sadly see that. And after going to Chronicles of Narnia 2 with a group of friends, one of which was a PLD, and having to sit through the movie hearing "shield bash!" every couple of minutes...I forgive you. We all forgive you. Just go have a beer.

 
At 5:37 AM, Blogger Copper Hamster said...

Daniel:
Children resemble Tarutaru. Evil, rabid, little Tarutaru.

There, fixed that for you.

You know, the worst thing, I think, is the high resistance to sleep/lullabye

 
At 7:05 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

"... latex clothing and two bad sequels."

Oh god, there's ANOTHER FFVII movie coming out?!

 
At 8:11 AM, Blogger Kahsha said...

At least the gift was nowhere near the cost of an hourglass.

 
At 9:09 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

xDDD I almost fell out of my chair twice I was laughing so hard.

 
At 11:46 AM, Blogger Bufuman said...

How did I know that a kid would be getting hurt the instant you mentioned a birthday party?

Interesting post though. I'll never look at the mundane the same again.
*is already mentally comparing his job to fishing*

 
At 4:16 AM, Blogger Moe said...

I was expecting you do call drops or 'drop party' but this was a lot better.

 
At 8:21 AM, Blogger Tyler said...

Actually, Kahsha, if you were to sell the 1,000,000 gil, it would probably be around $20 or whatever gil sells for now. So chances are, it was exactly that.

But it's really scary how much FFXI resembles life, and how we can make little connections like that.

 
At 8:45 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Heh. This sounds like my life every day.

Foam sword for two-year-old: $1.
Watching her beat her daddy about the head and shoulders while screaming like a banshee: Priceless.

I couldn't imagine if there were more than one. *Shudder*

 
At 8:45 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Heh. This sounds like my life every day.

Foam sword for two-year-old: $1.
Watching her beat her daddy about the head and shoulders while screaming like a banshee: Priceless.

I couldn't imagine if there were more than one. *Shudder*

 
At 8:45 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Heh. This sounds like my life every day.

Foam sword for two-year-old: $1.
Watching her beat her daddy about the head and shoulders while screaming like a banshee: Priceless.

I couldn't imagine if there were more than one. *Shudder*

 
At 8:45 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Heh. This sounds like my life every day.

Foam sword for two-year-old: $1.
Watching her beat her daddy about the head and shoulders while screaming like a banshee: Priceless.

I couldn't imagine if there were more than one. *Shudder*

 
At 8:45 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Heh. This sounds like my life every day.

Foam sword for two-year-old: $1.
Watching her beat her daddy about the head and shoulders while screaming like a banshee: Priceless.

I couldn't imagine if there were more than one. *Shudder*

 
At 11:50 AM, Blogger Wei Loon Teh said...

What's with the repeated posting??

And, this post is good.

Funny.

Yarr.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home