Thursday, July 10, 2008

Completely Random

I had a very profound thought today and I wanted to share it with you.

I was wandering around the house between gaming sessions today and decided to turn on the television. Now, usually this would be incredibly pointless as television has basically been reduced to celebrities doing stupid things, but I was in the mood for non-interactive entertainment.

For the better part of an hour I watched a show called "Punk'd".

I watched that show because I could not find the remote.

Apparently, this was a show that was cool back when Ashton Kutcher was actually relevant to popular culture.

Man, that was a great two days, wasn't it?

The show basically revolves around Ashton Kutcher setting up famous celebrities in all sorts of crazy situations. Imagine Candid Camera, but with famous people and a douche bag in a trucker hat.

Anyway, as I watched this show, I actually had an epiphany. An idea suddenly occurred to me that put the entire show into context.

The show Punk'd is actually a barometer for your career as a celebrity.

See, the way the show goes is a really famous person gets tricked into acting very, very stupid and then Ashton Kutcher jumps out and he laughs, and the celebrities laugh, and I die a little inside.

But that's not the important part of my epiphany.

Every now and again, Ashton doesn't show up. The celebrity still gets pranked, but then they just say "you done got Punk'd" and they go to commercial.

This actually tells you how important you are as a celebrity.

If someone says "you got Punk'd" and you turn around, but Ashton Kutcher isn't there, then your career is pretty much over.

Instead, you got Punk'd by some guy Ashton Kutcher might have met once. Maybe.

Congratulations. You're not famous anymore.

Really, that should be a wake up call for people who still think they're celebrities. If Ashton Kutcher doesn't think you're even worth talking to for three and a half minutes, then you're not a celebrity.

Now, you're talking to some guy who picks up Ashton Kutcher's dry cleaning.

Give yourself a week and you'll be turning tricks behind a Dairy Queen.

But hey, at least you were on Punk'd. That's something, right?

Right?

Man, I need to find that remote.

13 Comments:

At 6:44 PM, Blogger Psylex said...

It is shows like this and "The Real World" that make me want to live in a cave with no contact to the outside world for the rest of my life. I hate people.

 
At 12:27 AM, Blogger Dyamalos said...

One of the reasons I don't watch MTV, Most of it is mindless garbage...


Come to think of it, growing up, my sister only watched MTV and I always thought it was stupid...

 
At 2:53 AM, Blogger Othirem said...

If there is one thing I have learned on my existence on this planet, is that there are people who are willing to watch anything, and people willing to do anything.

Example: Wifeswap....

Really?

 
At 4:52 AM, Blogger Cafe World Cooking... For Real! said...

This is why i don't watch TV at all.

 
At 6:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 6:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't stand "reality shows" but I can't stand Ass-ton kutcher even less... much less, the mindless dribble that is those horrid wastes of film and time.

can you feed kutcher to an overgrown lizard please? ^^

 
At 9:45 AM, Blogger KT said...

I read all your post and I think you are the coolest GM in FFXI. Seems like life is treating you well...got a daughter and married. Love your blog <3 Keep up the good work :)

Nice to meet you!
-KT

 
At 11:19 AM, Blogger Bufuman said...

Man, why the hell didn't Ashton just stick with That '70s Show? I loved that show. Hell, I still do. And Ashton makes for a very funny idiot character.

...maybe there's a reason for that.
*has a freaking bell on his remote*

 
At 12:00 PM, Blogger Xatticus said...

I would be lazy like that too...but if the channel was stuck on MTV, my foot would go through the TV.

If I was ever on Punk'd, Ashton would get an ass whoopin' from me (or if someone who did Ashton's dry cleaning, I'd hold him at gunpoint and make him take me to Ashton...would in turn get an ass whoopin' from me).

 
At 12:31 PM, Blogger Daniel McPartlin said...

Wait, if you couldn't find the remote, so you watched that show, that would imply that the TV was on MTV in the first place...

 
At 5:49 PM, Blogger Drekal said...

Actually, Dave, TV has more or less boiled down to "stupid people do stupid things for money." Thanks to the vapid, brainless nature of reality television, celebrities are not alone in their ability to share their neurosis and inanity with the rest of the world. Now the person on the street can make their ugly mug known to the world. Selling their dignity for a little screentime and their soul for cash.

And then they end up eating a goat's eyeballs.

Riveting stuff. Really.

 
At 6:12 PM, Blogger Dorian Mode said...

Thank you, sir, for explaining (discovering?) the use for that program. I'd wondered, once.

 
At 6:43 PM, Blogger Darkid said...

hey dave check this out its a FF game for the Ipod sounds pretty sweet heres link http://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.ars/2008/07/08/square-brings-tactical-rpg-to-the-ipod

you can hug me later ok... like never... sucka!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home