Tuesday, July 08, 2008

FFTA2 - My Impressions

I know I talked about having so many games I haven't played, but I went out and bought FFTA2 anyway. The way I see it, Final Fantasy games do not fall into the same category with other games, so that's all right.

Plus, it helps that I'm a total hypocrite and routinely make poor decisions.

First, a little background.

I loved the original Final Fantasy Tactics. It was my first real foray into the tactics genre and has since become the measuring stick against which I judge all other strategy RPGs.

It had everything. Deep gameplay, enthralling story, memorable characters, a giant robot.

Everything.

Plus, you could use chocobos as party members. Any game where you can kick someone's ass using a chocobo is okay in my book.

So, when I heard they were making a sequel for the GBA, I immediately went out and bought it.

Even though the story wasn't as deep and complex as the original, I still loved the game. It was obviously a game tailored more towards a younger generation, but it still had enough substance to keep me hooked.

I actually mean hooked. Literally. There were a few times there where I was pretty sure I was physically addicted to that game.

Every spare minute I had that SP in my hand. The thing is probably still warm from my tight little grip.

I honestly thought I'd kicked the addiction. I hadn't played either of the games in almost a year.

Sure, I'd have my bad nights when I'd wake in a drunken stupor only to find my GBA in my hand and the screen still flashing with images of my Bangaa Dragoon.

But I thought I was over the worst of it.

Then... They made a new one.

It was everything I could do not to just tear the package open right there in the store.

Daddy needed a fix.

I. Love. This. Game.

I realize this is like a junky giving you a review of crystal meth, but damn.

Honestly, it's like they managed to find a happy medium between the enthralling political intrigue of the first game and the lighter kid-friendly plot of the second game. You still have that kid lost in a fantasy world theme, but there are a few moments that jump out at you and bring the story to a higher level.

Now, that's not to say everything is perfect. Oh hell no.

Your character is possibly the worst dressed Final Fantasy character of all time. He looks like his clothes were picked out by a group of blind clowns.



After FFXII, I was pretty sure they could never top Vaan's clothes for awkward battle attire.

I was wrong.

Is this what the product of increase cultural exchange has brought? Instead of incredibly ridiculous spiky blond hair, now we're given incredibly ridiculous clothing?

What do Japanese people think of us?

Now, you might be asking what my favorite part of the game is.

I don't care if you're not asking that question because I'm going to answer it anyway.

Why do you have to be difficult?

My favorite part: the Judges.

I know... You're shocked.

The Judges in this game are amazing. They randomly punish the player and make almost any action against the rules.

You can understand why that would amuse me.

Some of the laws make sense.

No fire. Okay, so I can't use fire this time. Not so bad.

No ice. Easy.

Some of them are mean.

No targeting an area. So your Black Mages and White Mages just became utterly useless.

Good luck.

Some of them are just plain cruel.

No missing? What the hell?

Literally, if you miss a target for any reason, you are found guilty of breaking the law.

Could you imagine that law in FFXI? There wouldn't be a Dark Knight left.

Bah dump psshhhh.

I think I'm going to sit down and make a list of all the laws I've seen in the game and then try them out in Vana'diel.

You know, some days this blog just writes itself.

12 Comments:

At 12:12 PM, Blogger Taylor-MadeAK said...

You know, when I first saw that "No Missing" law, it made me think of you. Not sure why.... O.O

First post!

 
At 12:21 PM, Blogger Xatticus said...

the first half of that review was like when I bought Metal Gear Solid 4

 
At 1:14 PM, Blogger Linoth said...

Um... no missing. Hmm. While that's a hilarious law in and of itself, the immediate reaction has set in. How to circumvent that hell.

Umm... roll out the Black Mages? Ninja tanks? Will that get the job done? If it doesn't die, it attacks the tank, misses, and goes to jail without passing Go?

 
At 1:17 PM, Blogger Triss said...

there wouldn't be any dark knights or elvaans left >.>;

 
At 1:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You could just make sure your side is composed entirely of thieves and the other side would obliterate themselves.

 
At 2:47 PM, Blogger NikkoC64 said...

would there be any Monks left either?

 
At 2:49 PM, Blogger Eli said...

You know what law is meaner, the ones where certain races can only do basic actions. That one has been pissing me off.

Other than that I completely agree with you in that this game is amazing. I've been playing since it came out (and only put it down briefly to check 8-Bit Theatre, VG Cats and your blog) and I've only found one thing I'm unhappy about...

Even though I've done the auction and won an area, there aren't enough random battles. Technically there aren't any. But sometimes clans will attack you, but not nearly often enough. Other than that, people must buy this game.

 
At 7:34 PM, Blogger Kahsha said...

Stop buying baby stuff and save up $40 for FFIV!

 
At 8:22 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Reminds me of FFTA1 and the law no damage to animals, in a battle against animals.

Hope they kept the law cards though, as those were fun. Nothing was more fun than twisting the laws to make it impossible for your opponent to take any action against you.

 
At 8:42 PM, Blogger Bufuman said...

Man, that game has some messed-up laws. The "No knockback" law is almost as bad as "No missing" (which itself is pretty bad, because you KNOW you're going to miss, even if you use nothing but 99% attacks), because a critical hit is just bound to come up.

Also bad are laws that make missions about a million times harder.

"Oh look, a monster with over 400 HP. Let's kill it quickly."
Law: No dealing damage over 20.

"Hey, our mission in this battle is to make sure these people don't die, and they're on the other side of the field! Let's get our asses over there!"
Law: No moving more than 1 space at a time.

At least lawbreaking isn't as harsh in this game, but still, without the loot you get for following the rules, good luck updating your crappy gear.

 
At 1:22 AM, Blogger Taylor-MadeAK said...

"If it doesn't die, it attacks the tank, misses, and goes to jail without passing Go?"

"You could just make sure your side is composed entirely of thieves and the other side would obliterate themselves."

Doesn't work like that. Only clans are adjudged, so unless you're fighting another clan your enemies can violate the set law as much as they want without penalty.

If you DO break the law, it's not the end of the world. It just means you can't raise any felled units during the battle.

 
At 5:08 PM, Blogger BenoSmash said...

I'll be looking forward to your next post (not that I don't already), especially if it involves more fun rules. :D

The last time you used FFTA on the players of FFXI, I laughed for ages. Almost as much as when you first introduced Jormy.

Almost.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home