Thursday, April 10, 2008

My Own Family...

I'm pretty sure we all know how I feel about Manthras.

I'm not a fan.

Now, don't go getting me wrong. I don't think there's anything wrong with a guy playing a girl character.

It is just a game after all.

Chances are that we've all played FFX-2, right? You played a girl in that.

That didn't make you gay.

It sure didn't help, but it didn't make you gay.

Guys playing girl characters is just part of the role-playing experience.

What bothers me are the morons who have to try and prove their manhood by making up a stupid new word like Manthra.

You're playing a girl. Get over it.

It's okay.

Now, many of you are probably wondering what this has to do with family week.

Trust me, I wish it didn't.

I got an e-mail from my cousin Greg the other day. This was kind of odd as I haven't talked to the guy in about 10 years.

He mentions that he heard I played FFXI.

News at eleven.

Apparently, he plays, too.

Greg was always a pretty cool guy when we were growing up. I don't know why I didn't stay in touch.

That's a lie. I don't stay in touch with people because I don't like people.

I'm funny like that.

Still, he was one of my favorite cousins, so I figured I'd log in and go see him.

Server hopping is just one of the many perks of the job.

So, I log into his server and quickly locate him.

It's not hard. His character's name is Greg.

We're a creative family.

[GM]Dave>> Hey, cuz.
Greg>> Dave?
Greg>> HOLY CRAP! YOU'RE A GM!
[GM]Dave>> Nothing gets by you.
[GM]Dave>> Was it the shimmery armor?
[GM]Dave>> The fact that my name begins with GM?
Greg>> Wow.
Greg>> You haven't changed.
[GM]Dave>> I'm not sure if that was a compliment.
[GM]Dave>> For your sake, I'll assume it was.
Greg>> So, how's everything?
[GM]Dave>> Good, good.
[GM]Dave>> I've got a limbus run later and maybe some gods after that.
[GM]Dave>> Hoping to get some nice drops.
Greg>> I meant with Susan and the baby.
[GM]Dave>> Oh... Yeah...
[GM]Dave>> They're good.
[GM]Dave>> What's up with you?
Greg>> Not much.
Greg>> Doing my RSE quests.
[GM]Dave>> Oh, you're a mithra.
[GM]Dave>> That's cool.
Greg>> Manthra, actually.
[GM]Dave>> ... What?
Greg>> I'm a manthra.
Greg>> Not a mithra. Mithra's are girls.
[GM]Dave>> You've got to be kidding me.
Greg>> No, really.
Greg>> I even wrote an extensive back story for my character.
[GM]Dave>> I wrote one, too.
[GM]Dave>> *ahem*
[GM]Dave>> Your character has a vagina.
[GM]Dave>> The end.
Greg>> Manthra's exist, too, you know.
[GM]Dave>> Really?
[GM]Dave>> I don't remember seeing them in the manual.
Greg>> I can roleplay any way I choose.
Greg>> I don't want to play as a female character.
[GM]Dave>> Then why did you pick a female character?
Greg>> I DIDN'T!
Greg>> I picked a manthra.
[GM]Dave>> I'm sorry. Let me rephrase that.
[GM]Dave>> Then why did you pick a male character...
Greg>> Well...
[GM]Dave>> With a vagina?
Greg>> STOP THAT!
Greg>> Being a manthra is nothing to be ashamed of.
[GM]Dave>> I beg to differ.
Greg>> I didn't want to play as a girl character.
Greg>> It seems a little...
[GM]Dave>> Don't say it.
[GM]Dave>> Don't.
Greg>> ... gay.
[GM]Dave>> What is wrong with people?
Greg>> I'm a manthra.
Greg>> I'm proud to be a manthra.
Greg>> And there's nothing you can do about it.

*warp*

Area: Mordion Gaol.

Greg>> Oh god.
[GM]Dave>> Did we forget about the shimmery armor?
Greg>> Listen...
Greg>> We're family.
[GM]Dave>> That's true.

Jormungand hits Greg for 17,956 points of damage.
Greg was defeated by Jormungand.

[GM]Dave>> Jormy says "welcome to the family".
[GM]Dave>> He also says "you have a vagina".

20 minutes from logging in to completely alienating a family member.

That's got to be a record.

18 Comments:

At 9:10 PM, Blogger Lockecole38 said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 9:13 PM, Blogger Lockecole38 said...

rewriting my first post because it was rather *cough* lame anyways still woot I got the first post [/dance]

"Greg>> I'm a manthra.
Greg>> Not a mithra. Mithra's are girls.
[GM]Dave>> You've got to be kidding me.
Greg>> No, really.
Greg>> I even wrote an extensive back story for my character.
[GM]Dave>> I wrote one, too.
[GM]Dave>> *ahem*
[GM]Dave>> Your character has a vagina.
[GM]Dave>> The end."

This helped make my day considering I actually play a mithra on FFXI... Main reason for maximum Thief skills. Anyways thank god I'm not as retarded as your cousin and apparently decide Manthra is it's own race...

 
At 10:13 PM, Blogger Dyamalos said...

Yeah, I'm Mithran also, and I've met people who are all, "y u pik a gurl wen u a guyz"

After beating them with a dictionary, I calmly tell them the reasons:

1.In most RPGs I've played, DEX seems to be good for allot of things.

2.Out of all the races, mithra looked more apeeling for the following reasons:

Elvaan have necks that are too long,
Hume look like they have mental defecencys,
Galka look as if they are compensating for something (And as they have no junk and are genderless... they are),
and Taru just scare me.

And finally, If I'm going to look at a character for hours at a time, I'd rather it be something pleasant to the eyes, not some mussel-steroid freak.

Basically, I'm secure enough in my masculenity to say: I play a female character, does spending hours staring at a "Hot cat woman" make me gay? If so, then those who play male or Galka must be omega flamers.

 
At 12:51 AM, Blogger Sorvina said...

I will never understand the reasoning people use to justify their actions. You play a chick, be man enough to admit it. Back when my bf and I played on Asura, there was a kid in our LS who played a Mithra. All of us thought he was a she. He totally and completely acted like a chick. It only came out that he was a guy when he found out that one of the LS mates was beginning to have "feelings" for her...erm...him. I asked him why he didn't just tell us that he was male . He said he wanted to experience the role playing in its entirety. Which is cool I guess...
o each their own. I wonder what goes through his little teen aged pubescent mind though when someone asks him how he likes playing with his pussy....cat.

Anyways.....great post. I needed the laugh.

 
At 5:15 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

rofl
He's your cousin, must remember something on how you were 10 yrs ago???
I dont assume you got to what/who (take yr pick) you are in these past 10 years but you had it inside allll from the start..

 
At 8:24 AM, Blogger Bufuman said...

So Jormy is a member of your family now? That must make for one HELL of a family reunion.

Race-wise, I prefer the Elvaan myself. They just look more badass than the other races, IMHO. While I DO like the look of Mithra stats (especially since I happen to like balance over specialization, and Mithras are pretty well-balanced), seeing them reminds me of annoying arguments with furries over how hot catgirls are. And yet I still have one as an alt.

Last but certainly not least, good post as usual, Dave. Keep 'em coming!

 
At 8:46 AM, Blogger Cafe World Cooking... For Real! said...

Greg>> I'm a manthra.
Greg>> Not a mithra. Mithra's are girls.

Funny the last time i had checked the only cat character SE had made was mithra. No matter HOW extensive the back story for ones charcter, the fact of the matter is , yes your character still has a vagina.

Speaking of creative people. and manthras/mithras My Ex had a mithra named Mythra..... o.0

yeah i guess thats sums up the Ex part . :P

 
At 11:07 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

brain....cant....comprehend.....splat. my brain just exploded.

 
At 1:34 PM, Blogger Zesty said...

I don't understand what is the big deal with guys playing female toons. I mean, as a guy, would you rather stare at a hot girl butt while you play, or a beefy man butt?

Seriously, he just needs to own up to it.

 
At 5:17 PM, Blogger Xetrlal said...

*Clap Clap*
Very nice Post Dave, I completely agree with your choice. I can understand playing a girl, but... choosing a girl, and saying its a guy... Just wrong... I can see it now.

Player1: Hey Girl, whats up?
Player2: My Avatar and I are both guys...
Player1: Oh... Can I have your stuff when you die?
Player2: Wha?? I'm not gonna die man...
Player1: Well, if your Avatars a guy, then those lumps on your chest must be tumors... I'll give you 3 months to live.

 
At 6:18 PM, Blogger Longy said...

Amazing. I hate the whole Manthra thing too. It's the "You have a Vagina" part that got me.

 
At 7:54 PM, Blogger Laserx said...

... my question is...
*tries one last desperate attempt to find the reason himself*

... I can't do it, so I will just ask; Why are people retards? If they are so stupid, how did they figure out how to log on in the first place? Then, how were they bright enough to make a "back story" for their own character...

Speaking of back stories, unless a game doesn't give me a back story for the character I am playing, I am forced to assume he was some random guy that wanted in on it for the fun... or the money... I don't waste my time sitting and thinking "I wonder what this character was this character like before I took control of him."

 
At 9:25 PM, Blogger Psylex said...

Just found your material. Love it all.

 
At 1:12 PM, Blogger Alison the Amazing Thief said...

I bet a manthra could be pretty dang sexy.

 
At 1:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heh, good stuff all of it as usual. But to stubbornly select a character that is so quite obviously a female. Hence the boobs and generally curvatious figure. Then create some delusion that it's really a male because you "said so" is full on retarded. God bless family but someone always gets hit with the dumbass stick.

 
At 3:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Umm.. For risk of a Dragon visit in my Moh House later, i hate to break it to you, but there are now officially male mithra..granted its only a NPC in CS during one of the Windurst [S] missions, but *he* is there.

Lehko Habhoka

During one of the CS he appears in, all the female mithra just about rip him apart trying to get a piece.

 
At 7:14 AM, Blogger Aerinravage said...

(semi-longtime reader, first-post)

I just had to get on this convo, as I'm male IRL and chose Mithra for most of the same reasons already stated - balance (WHM, DNC, BST) and easy-on-the-eyes quotient.

I actually consider it RP to play a female character and have no problem with people assuming either gender, although I do correct people if we get to IRL gender and they still think mine matches my toon.

Aerin is female. Plain and simple. I'm not, but unless someone *cough*Newlegacy*cough* just absolutely keeps pushing up on me, I don't make a fuss about in-game or real-life gender.

I have *never* flirted or cybered with anyone (of any race/gender) and fortunately, on Siren, haven't had any real issues in over 16 months over my choice. Other than my LS boss's occasional teasing...

 
At 5:39 AM, Blogger Marcio said...

Well, this was interesting. Haha. I guess I'll start participating in comments more often.

I don't understand why people need to justify [sexuality] in game considering we are all playing safely inside our own houses and many of us are MILES extensive MILES away from each other. Some are even living in the past while others in the future. Basicly one could say we live in different "time zones!"

With that said, why do people feel a threat about how masculine or feminine they are?

My character has a back story... I'm a hume and when i started the game the guy who played my father was an Elvaan, and the girl was a Mithra.

Having a back story of 1/2 Elvaan 1/2 Hume (how? with a mithra mother?) well... she was once a hume until someone cast a powerfull spell and transformed her into a mithra as a curse. Forcing me to learn WHM in attempts to rid her of the curse.

Moral of the story, the elvaan and mithra quit... And my hume was left behind just as the same character i had picked.

The other thing was I've meet a girl that plays as a male hume. Not only she was funny, by knowing she was a girl, i didn't get confused by her "in game" appearance.

One must defintly (sp) wonder about what does go behind people's minds.

I admit to be crazy, but... i think that's what makes others more acceptable based on the expectations i have from them.

eh?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home