Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Please Don't Forget About...

You know that warning you see whenever you go to log into FFXI?

Of course you do. You've seen it eighteen bajillion times.

That is really good advice.

You really shouldn't forget about your family, your friends, your school, or your work.

That is the most important, steadfast rule of FFXI.

However...

What about those times when you totally WANT to forget about those things?

Now, don't get me wrong. I'm not suggesting this as a lifestyle.

Moron>> Hey, [GM]Dave told me to forget about my family.
Moron>> Screw you, kids.

But what about all those mind-numbingly boring moments of the day where you really, really, REALLY just want to forget all that shit?

You're at work. You're filling out all that annoying paperwork.

In triplicate.

Always in damned triplicate.

Yeah. Who'd want to forget about that?

You know, the whole time you're thinking "Man, I could be meriting right now."

Can you honestly try and tell me you don't zone out and start thinking about playing during the day?

But that's the beauty of it.

That's okay.

That warning means don't forget about those things while you're playing.

We don't want you playing all the time. You've got important things to do in your life.

Okay... You've got things to do in your life.

It's still okay to think about the game while you're doing those things.

You should be able to get up and leave the game anytime you want. That's normal.

Just take the game with you.

No, no. Put down the laptop.

Thinking about the game all the time is perfectly natural. It's your body's natural defense against the inherent stupidity of the everyday world.

Traffic backed up for miles? Think about crafting.

Stuck in a line up at the supermarket? Think about Dynamis.

Some people would say you're developing an unhealthy preoccupation that borders on obsession or perhaps even addiction.

What the hell do they know?

Do you know what I think when people suggest I'm addicted to FFXI?

Crafting.

I think as long as you're doing everything you're supposed to do in the real world, it's okay to think about the game as much as you like.

I do it and we all know I'm not addicted, right?

Right?

10 Comments:

At 9:49 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Excellent strategy - I use it all the time. Just imagine... a decade or so from now they'll come out with neural implants so we really CAN play the game just by thinking about it.

Here is the perfect defense against those who say an overactive imagination is unhealthy. All you have to do is say "You see things that are and ask 'Why?' I dream things that never were and ask 'Why not?'"

 
At 10:58 PM, Blogger demetrev said...

Good blog. The entry about the shoe salesman almost made me piss my pants.

However, no one has gotten eaten by a dragon in some time. This makes me sad.

Sad to the point that I've considered buying the game, making a stupid GM call, and praying that you feed me to a dragon.

I am not a fanboy. I just like to read about people being eaten by dragons. That never gets old.

 
At 1:27 AM, Blogger Alshandra said...

To those people who would say that players are "addicted" to FFXI, take a moment to think about how many hours of the day other people stare, drooling, vegetated on the couch, at the television screen every day.

At least we are doing something that stretches the mind, that encourages social interaction and logical thought. Or not so logical thought, depending on what server you hail from ._.

I see it as a hobby. There are people that spend every waking moment thinking about their car for example, which is their hobby and project. I say a hobby can be anything that you enjoy. Why not a video game instead?

 
At 5:03 AM, Blogger Grenade71822 said...

I already think about wow like that. I personally think it makes me a better player. Your running boss fights thru your head and so on.

 
At 6:22 AM, Blogger Bufuman said...

I don't need to think about jack when I'm bored. That's why I carry around my DS Lite with me everywhere. It can build the mind just as much as FFXI, too. For example, I've been playing a lot of Phoenix Wright. It taught me to look for hidden meanings in everything. It also taught me that yelling "OBJECTION!" during a minor debate is surprisingly effective, not to mention incredibly hilarious.

So, when IS someone going to get eaten by a dragon? If you need volunteers, I'd be glad to do it.

 
At 7:19 AM, Blogger Staxx said...

Crafting??? Addictive?? Hell NO!! I live to craft, FFXI?? Addictive?? HELL NO!! I do real life crap so I can Play FFXI!! Work is just a place to look up recipies for crafting and stratigies for fights...Doesn't everyone???

{starts to shake from FFXI withdraw}

 
At 7:20 AM, Blogger Staxx said...

P.S. [GM]Dave....how is Jormy?? I hope he didn't eat too much with that 'Banning Day' you just had??

 
At 1:43 PM, Blogger Laserx said...

Dave, FFXI is to you as crack is to a stoner... >.>


DONT BAN ME!

 
At 2:56 PM, Blogger Sierra said...

haha oh man. I do that all the time at school. People will be like "What were you thinking? You just totally spaced out for the last 10 minutes." You can't explain blowing things up in Beseiged... They give you scary looks..

Not that'd I know or anything.

 
At 8:03 PM, Blogger Donomni said...

Sadly, all that is just an attempt at Anti Poopsocking.

I mean, you'd think they'd try a little more with that.

Think about it. Less headaches.

Less indigestion.

Did I mention TVTropes is the shit?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home