Tuesday, November 14, 2006

That Nagging Feeling

You know that feeling.

You're doing a new quest or event and someone suggests something. It sounds wrong, but you're not sure why.

But you know it's bad.

And, rather than say something about it, you just go along with it because you assume they know better than you.

But that feeling is still there. It just sits there in the back of your head, gnawing away.

You>> Yay! A Quest!
YourBrain>> Something's wrong.
You>> Shhh! Quest!
YourBrain>> You are going to die.
You>> Stop that.
You>> Everything's okay.
YourBrain>> You are about to be gangraped back to level 1.
You>> You don't lose exp at level 4.
You>> Technically, I'd only get back to level 4.
YourBrain>> That's the part you focus on?
YourBrain>> What the hell's the matter with you?

Now, I'm here with some advice that can actually help in this situation.

Listen carefully.

LISTEN TO THE DAMNED VOICE!

That voice is the last line of defense between you and something very stupid.

And usually a horrible death.

I know this because I didn't listen to the voice tonight.

We were doing a Carmine Dobsonflies run.

For those of you who aren't familiar, there are ten flies that all link and try to annihilate your entire group. In order to have any chance at surviving this, you need a tank that can completely avoid damage until the flies are dead.

The standard tank for this is Paladin. Paladin's can use Invincible and become...

Well... They become invincible. The name is pretty self-explanatory.

We were doing our run tonight and things looked good. We were forming up our party when I checked the member list and noticed something.

[GM]Dave>> Ummm...
[GM]Dave>> We don't have a Paladin.
Leader>> Oh, don't worry.
Leader>> We're okay.
[GM]Dave>> Who exactly is going to tank the flies?
Leader>> The Thief.
[GM]Dave>> Excuse me?
Leader>> The Thief will tank using Perfect Dodge.
[GM]Dave>> ...
[GM]Dave>> Oh...

Now, I had only done this run once before, so I had no idea what to expect.

And it made sense. Perfect Dodge allows Thieves to dodge all attacks for a short period of time.

Seemed okay.

And yet... That feeling started in the back of my head.

Like an itch.

But I didn't say anything. I didn't want to sound stupid by asking silly questions.

They know more than me, right?

Right?

And yet... Nagging feeling.

We get there and prepare. Things seem to be going smoothly.

Everything's okay.

And yet... Nagging feeling.

Thief>> We ready?
Leader>> Let's do it.
Thief>> Pulling in 3...
Thief>> 2...
Thief>> 1...

And he pulls.

Suddenly, ten giant, mutant dragonflies descend on us.

Thief>> (( Perfect Dodge ))

Yay! Perfect Dodge!

We're safe, right?

The Carmine Dobsonfly starts casting Aero II on Thief.
The Carmine Dobsonfly starts casting Aero II on Thief.
The Carmine Dobsonfly starts casting Aero II on Thief.
The Carmine Dobsonfly starts casting Aero II on Thief.
The Carmine Dobsonfly starts casting Aero II on Thief.
The Carmine Dobsonfly starts casting Aero II on Thief.
The Carmine Dobsonfly starts casting Aero II on Thief.
The Carmine Dobsonfly starts casting Aero II on Thief.
The Carmine Dobsonfly starts casting Aero II on Thief.
The Carmine Dobsonfly starts casting Aero II on Thief.

I should probably point out that Perfect Dodge only dodges physical attacks.

Two seconds later, the Thief is lying face down in the dirt. We have ten angry, giant, mutant dragonflies on us and all we have left is mages.

Three seconds after that, we're all dead.

I am left with the grim satisfaction of knowing that the voice was right.

Oh, and a dead body.

My own.

Next time: LISTEN TO THE DAMNED VOICE!

13 Comments:

At 9:20 PM, Blogger Justine said...

Rofl Dave that was great XD Yay Quest!

 
At 5:36 AM, Blogger Kite said...

Don't you just love it when mobs link and start with the same type of move at the beginning of battle?

Well, as long as I can stay alive...

I got a party invite last week to the Dunes. I was at that moment leveling my summon skills near the watchtower of San d'Oria. I got some stuff from the mog house and went on my way.

I came near La Theine Plateau. I was ready to take te tourist route to the dunes, since I was a mere level 12 Summoner and the orcs there could kill me.

I zoned from West Ronfaure into La Theine Plateau.

What the F... 2 orcs and 1 goblin near the zone! Okay, no reason to panic. I summoned Carbuncle and started running around them. One aggroed. Carby took care of that for me. So I kept on running. And got more aggro. As if that day La Theine Plateau was having an Orc convention, that many were there around.

Eventually I managed to zone into the Dunes with 13 HP left.

And during my kite-ing, I was wondering WHY the same type of orcs started attacking me with the same first attack... It got annoying.

Shit, poisoned... must keep running. Yaay Poison gone. Hey, new aggro, shit, poisoned again... etc.

 
At 6:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not making a whole lotta sense there, considering a PLD wouldn't have survived much longer than a THF with Invincible on. I think I might be done coming here.

 
At 10:49 AM, Blogger token black guy said...

LOL N00BZ!!

 
At 3:03 PM, Blogger Kite said...

Oh no! a spammer! /sigh

 
At 4:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Again i want to thank you. This is THE most amusing blog i have ever read. On a daily basis you remind me of my male half. You remind me of me.

So.
Thank you.

~The Cynical Bitch

 
At 7:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey there [GM]Dave,

I play WoW (Shhh before you comment)

Your excellent blogs have reached WoWs many forums and i have been reading some for the past few nights... Just finished Mays Blogs...

Few things to say:

1: Quit FFXII and Join WoW, we need GMs with more sense than a Donkey on Weed!

2: I get the feeling that you don't like WoW??? Why???

3: Becoming a WoW GM would allow you to perform horendous feats of merciless pain on WoWs many sucky players!!!

Personally i think if someone needs to call a GM, then they need to be killed... Horribly...

 
At 8:33 PM, Blogger Christian said...

Back off ya leech. We don't need to lose more people to mindless WoW.

 
At 9:07 PM, Blogger Goblin Smithy said...

*ahem*

With a PLD tank we would have had a few precious seconds to land sleepga.

The difference is not great, but it is noticeable.

 
At 2:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I got dragged out to kill these things three times about a year ago. Two of three times the PLD was instantly dropped as 7 or 8 flies simulcast Aero II on him.

I'm a career mage (BLM & SMN 75), so I didn't want a Sallet (only one ever dropped anyway), but ended up getting the Bandana.

The only decent way I can think of to do this would be a bunch of SMNs with supplies to Diamond Dust three times.

One SMN pulls with Shiva and Retreats. First SMN Sleepgas and waits for the Flies to gather. If it resists Shiva will last resonably long against their melee and she's virtually immune to Aero spells. Ten Aero 2s might take 10% of her HP. All the SMNs Diamond Dust (target the same Fly for hate reasons).

Work out a Release order ahead of time and have one of the SMNs resummon and Sleepga to grab hate (again, try to stick to the same fly).

Hopefully, you'll get ten dead flies with relatively few dead party members.

 
At 12:22 PM, Blogger Meroduin said...

Evilpaul, you are close.

The best way to deal with dobsonflies is this:

Step O: Pack of rabid summoners (3 or more) each pull out a crazed Shiva.
Step 1: Throw a sacrificial paladin at the flies to round them up.
Step 2: Paladin uses Invincible while token black mage casts Sleepga on the neatly organized flies and the rabid summoners use Astral Flow.
Step 3: Rabid summoners do Diamond Dust on gathered flies. Note here that not having all the flies in a bunch will be fatal to someone. Probably not the black mage tho, hahahahahaha. (Guess which job I was!)
Step 4: Flies should all be dead from having 3 or more Diamond Dusts to the face. Kill off any flies that survived with a Blizzaga. Lot your stupid ugly ass hat, then get warped the hell home.

 
At 9:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Incidentaly, in the interest of allowing a pld to survive longer in such a situation (till the damn flies are in zzzz land). Baraera, level 13 whm spell, cast by a competant whm (i.e. stacks on the mnd+) This plus the best shell and oodles of int+ on the pld goes a long way to surviving such a barage. Strangely enough a well supported rdm usualy has a better chance at surviving things like that for 30 seconds (chainspell works with utsusemi) than even a pld, not to mention shell baraero phalanx and a tipicaly higher int. Out of all the classes, rdm are arguably the best equiped to withstand an all out magical attack. Course the way we're relegated to support roles means most people don't even realize this.

 
At 2:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

lol, a GM that doesn't know that Invinceable does.
it only blocks physical attacks you tard LMFAO.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home