Tuesday, December 09, 2008

I Hate Updates

So, that time has rolled around once again.

Update time.

This is a magical time in Vana'diel when the devs get together and discuss what changes would be most important to improve the game for everyone.

This is a good thing.

They take time to carefully consider and decide what adjustments could be made to improve the game as a whole.

That's why it's called an update.

Up suggests progress.

It's not called a sidedate.

Or a lateraldate.

I don't know. I really didn't think that part through before I started writing.

Those sounded a lot funnier in my head.

Then again, most things do.

Anyway...

Here's the funny thing about updates: no matter what the devs do, people still don't like the updates.

Isn't that strange? Someone who has an intimate knowledge of the finer mechanics of the game is working incredibly hard to make the game better for everyone and yet, people don't appreciate it.

It's not like they all got drunk and threw darts at a board or something.

Dev1>> Oh shit, yo...

I should point out that I'm translating this perfectly from the Japanese.

Dev1>> You all hit the "give Scholar some stuff".
Dev2>> That be like the third time, yo.
Dev2>> Fo' real.
Dev1>> Awwwww SNAP!
Dev1>> I just nailed the "adjust various NMS".
Dev2>> Oh, man.
Dev2>> They be hatin' that shit.

Seriously. Perfect Japanese translation going on here.

They'd probably also throw up various gang signs and then pour a 40 oz of Sake on the curb.

No, the devs are actually pretty nice guys. They're trying really hard to make you guys happy.

Do you know why people don't like the updates?

Oh, go on. Try and guess.

...

If you guessed because the devs don't understand the FFXI community, you are incorrect.

Thanks for playing. We have some lovely parting gifts for you.

Note: There are no lovely parting gifts. Or parting gifts in general.

They understand the FFXI community very well. Probably better than anyone else on the planet.

This is quite literally their life's work.

They take this shit very seriously.

No, the real reason people hate the updates is because they didn't get what THEY want.

See, updates have to be performed in small increments in order to maintain proper game balance. Every change, no matter how small, could have huge repercussions.

Remember the two hand update when some guy put the wrong decimal in an equation?

We make small changes over time so that we can understand the effect each will have on the game as a whole.

This, unfortunately, means that each update only includes small changes for a small number of jobs.

Thus, the majority of the population do not get anything for their specific job.

Oh, oh. It doesn't matter that you got a huge buff in the last round of updates.

That was last week.

Or something.

Everybody thinks update is freakin' Christmas time.

... Okay, so technically THIS update is very close chronilogically to Christmas.

That still doesn't mean we're going to craft the update specifically for you.

Oh, you lost your main source of income because of a game adjustment.

Or you didn't get any shiny new toys or awesome new abilities.

I understand that that sucks.

I totally get that.

Not our problem.

We're doing our best to make the game better for everyone. That means the whole group.

You didn't get your's today. Maybe you'll get it next time.

Or not.

But maybe it's for a greater good.

There's an old saying: "You can please some of the people some of the time, but you can't please all the people all of the time."

We're trying to please all of the people by pleasing some of the people with each update.

Don't worry. You'll be part of the some people some time.

Just trust that it's all for a bigger picture and not some conspiracy to benefit specific jobs.

Trust me.

On an unrelated note, tomorrow's post will be titled "[GM]Dave Started Leveling Scholar Last Week."

16 Comments:

At 8:16 PM, Blogger Sean Hughes said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 8:18 PM, Blogger Sean Hughes said...

This is one thing that always pissed me off. A someone who works with code a lot, it pisses me off when someone says "Well, you did this, which is okay, but that would be better!" Do you people have any idea how freaking complicated this stuff is, and how difficult it is to program? Take what you get...

Erm... yeah. Rant off. Anyway, things DO need to be done in small increments, for another reason. If something bad happens, programmers and devs need to be able to look at the code and see where something went wrong. If they changed a LOT of code, they usually have no idea where to start looking for the problem. Hell, it could be several different snippets of code working together to cause a bug.

 
At 8:23 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I think that the update was really nice. Especially mobs dropping chests, was leveling in the hell hole called Valkurm today and few Potion+2/3s I got saved me from morons almost killing me.

 
At 10:29 PM, Blogger TheDesigner said...

I don't even play anymore, but still I was in the few lot that didn't like updates...

Ok, ok, I'm lying, I LOVED updates, they usually gave us great stuff, it was always great to go out and try this new ability or check out that new mission/quest or try to kick that NM's ass...

W/E...

So I didn't ever complain about that...

Not a single time...

You know what I did complain about...? The fact that they tried so hard to give us new things when there were a LOT of old things that somehow were broken... okok, it was not the developers or game's fault, I know, I bet SE didn't plan that there were going to be 5 LS fighting in a very small zone for a highly wanted NM, mostly, only for the love of doing it... Or because they didn't want anyone else to get it.

... I repeat, I don't play anymore... but it was that god fcking hard to do something about Kings? Huh!? F*CK! F*CK new abilities, spells, missions - well... missions were nice - and everything else! DO SOMETHING ABOUT F*CKING KINGS !

Unless they did something already in past updates and I never realized, in which case just ignore the rant.

... Damn... I miss this game :(

 
At 12:40 AM, Blogger J. Scarper said...

Dear [GM] Dave,

I must impress on you that it is not because these people did not get what THEY wanted during the update that they are bitching.

It is, very simply put, because these people are retarded.

Yours truly, J. Scarper.

 
At 1:30 AM, Blogger Chrishh said...

._. theres no point in bugard bashing anymore for nq/hq hides... that sucks, was a good way to get a bit of cash. Guess it was that damn Gingerbreaman's fault for being in Misereux Coast 24/7. Did you ban him Dave? xD

 
At 4:18 AM, Blogger Kinam said...

I haven't gotten a chance to check out some of the new things that were implemented yet ... I've yet to get a 75 job, and I'm working hard at it on my summoner (fav job of all time)... I could break into a rant about summoners getting the shaft this update but I don't really care ... within a couple updates we're supposed to be getting two new avatars weee! ....

Anyway, yea, it's kind of funny seeing people complain about those items that had their prices cut down a third or something like that for their sale price to NPCs, but to me, I never hunted those things for money, I go for other things, like crafts and other stuff

 
At 5:53 AM, Blogger Vibrato said...

There's an old saying: "You can please some of the people some of the time, but you can't please all the people all of the time."

I prefer "People will complain if you hang them with a new rope"

 
At 10:42 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I can see why adjusting the profit from drops like the bugard skins and blood would annoy people. I'm a little relieved about it because now things I need for crafting may actually be put on the AH instead of pawned off to the nearest NPC. I don't have to spend as much time farming them so I'm happy. Whoever puts them up on AH will get my gil, so they'll be happy. Hopefully this will boost the economy.

On a side note: I love SCH. Both as a main and a sub. Do it up [GM]Dave.

 
At 2:54 PM, Blogger Taylor-MadeAK said...

Of all the stupid complaints I've heard regarding FFXI updates, this is the worst:

(Player1) WTF?? Why did I get warped to right outside the MH?
(Me) They moved the OP warp NPCs, man. They're right outside the MH entrances now.
(Player1) ...That SUCKS!
(Player2) I know!
(Player3) I have to run clear across the zone to get signet now, dammit!
(Me) ...poor devs. They can't win no matter what with this player base.

It's too bad eyerolls don't translate well across the chat log.

 
At 3:38 PM, Blogger Bobby said...

I was in Whitegate minutes after the update was complete and already people were bitching about how SE didn't give certain jobs new abilities. For the love of Dave, there is already like 50 freaking abilities for most jobs. What more do you need, people? If the game was meant to be easy for you, giving you all the flexibility in the world to breeze through everything, they would have to change the name to 'World of Warcraft' and something tells me that pile of epic lame already exists somewhere.

Just be patient. The developers do listen. More goodies will come in time.

As for the adjusted prices, I actually agree with that. I see like 40 people being jackasses to each other in Zitah fighting over Lesser Gayla claims. Sure, you make some fast cash, but who benefits from it? Just you. That is the problem with this game, in my opinion. People forget that there is an economy and other players who work hard and spend money and time to craft items that people need everyday.

 
At 5:01 PM, Blogger Taylor-MadeAK said...

Just wanted to add:

[GM]Dave is a Dragoon.

You don't ever see [GM]Dave whining about the FFXI Dev Team not adding Lancet. What more needs to be said?

Oh and:

>If the game was meant to be easy
>for you, giving you all the
>flexibility in the world to
>breeze through everything, they
>would have to change the name to
>'World of Warcraft' and something
>tells me that pile of epic lame
>already exists somewhere.

FATALITY!

 
At 5:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The problem with nerfing ways to make money is that A. It increases competition at a dwindling number of camps and B. eventually there will be no ways left to make money.

True they'll have finally killed off the RMT, but they will have killed off the game too. Like someone on allakhazam said the other day "If there is a rat hiding under your house burning the house down with kerosene isn't the best way to get rid of the rat"

 
At 3:13 AM, Blogger Tarage said...

Except the devs have shown with AV and PW that they have their heads up their asses.

It's nice to stay in character Dave, but the devs are retarded. Plain and simple.

 
At 9:07 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Honestly, I don't necessarily hate the update. I'm leveling sch now. So of course, the update appeals to my new job. The only major issues that I saw with the update was that FOV turned out to just be for lower level jobs and that they didn't release the MMM. Now don't get me wrong, the FOV looks kind of cool. I'll probably use it when goofing off on my lower jobs. I was honestly hoping it would turn out to be for everyone though. Obviously the MMM wasn't ready, or they would have released it. It was just a big let down that they said it would be included, then the day of they take it back.

As far as most updates go, they tend to be positive additions to the game for the most part. I do feel that, while SE is trying to deal with gil sellers, they tend to hurt the regular players as well, and that sucks, but atleast they have a reasonable excuse for it. They are doing what we wanted them to do.

You know what I find really amusing about people that complain about not getting what they want out of an update when it comes to job adjustments and such? What do they give whm? I mean think about this here for a second. Sure we got Devotion forever ago. Anything else really cool? Nope. Do you see the whms standing in whitegate in shouts screaming about why we can't be like Priests on WOW and be able to kick your butts? No, because if we wanted to play WOW, we'd go support Blizzard, not Square Enix.

Seriously people need to get over themselves for like two seconds, and most of the issues on FFXI would fix themselves. That has always been my biggest complaint aobut this game is that the poeple on it tend to be morons. The game itself is pretty decent.

 
At 10:05 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

The big problem (in all MMO communities) is that most players seem to have grand delusions of self-entitlement. Unbeknown to them, all the developers can really do is make the game they would want to play.

You are a guest in another person's game world. They made the world their way and unless they want their work to become diluted they WILL continue to take it in the direction that they wanted. If you don't like that, make your own MMORPG and stop being a whiny bitch.

The customer is always wrong. Get over it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home