Thursday, December 11, 2008

Are You F&%@ing Kidding Me?

Listen... I'm not the biggest fan of WoW.

I may or may not have mentioned that.

Despite that, I'm going to have to come to the defense of my brothers at Blizzard.

Don't get used to it.

WoW gets shit on a lot. Being one of the most popular MMORPGs in the world tends to make you a pretty big target.

But blaming WoW for people failing and dropping out of college? That's just plain retarded.

The number of problems with both this article and idea are so numerous, I don't think I could explain them all.

It'll be fun to try though.


1) College Students =/= Angels

What exactly did college students do before the evil video games were invented?

They must have spent all of their time studying, right?

I don't think so.

According to some very scientific documentaries, usually titled "[Insert Noun]s Gone Wild", it seems that many college students like to drink.

A lot.

Where's the freaking article about that shit, huh?

Do you mean to tell me that the number of students playing WoW is so much greater than the number of students with severe drinking problems that THIS is the problem we need to focus on?

Seriously?

I realize them bad vidjeo games have become the whipping boy of today's society, but give me a break.

And drugs... Did we get rid of all the drugs while I wasn't paying attention?

How in the hell did video games become the biggest problem facing college students today?

I guess the message we're trying to teach young people is that it's okay to get addicted to drugs, become an alcoholic, and get yourself a couple of STDs.

Just as long as you don't have a level 80 Tauren Hunter.

Syphilis? Fine.

Blood Elf Shaman? Not fine.

I really shouldn't have to explain how stupid this is.


2) College Students =/= Children

You should totally watch your ten year old son play video games to make sure he's not playing too much.

That's just good parenting.

You should not HAVE to watch your twenty-three year old son play video games to make sure he's not playing too much.

That's just... Well, that's just retarded.

These are freaking adults we're talking about here. If they can't manage to control themselves from playing video games, then they probably shouldn't have a college degree in the first place.

Would you even want an engineer building your building if he's going to spend all of the design time leveling his Paladin?

Just save yourself some time and put all of the building materials in a big pile.

If an adult can't control themself, then they have no business calling themselves an adult.


3) College Students =/= Blind

The premise of this entire idea rests on one very large assumption: that the system itself is not the problem.

Gee, if you thought about it for a second, you might think that college students are starting to figure out that things are pretty f&%@ed up right now.

They might be realizing that the degree they're working on may not be the great future they always thought it was going to be.

They might be understanding that the world is moving on while the university system is stagnating instead of evolving.

No, no. You're totally right.

It must be the video games.


You know what? It's not even worth going into the rest.

I think I've made my point.

Honestly, do you know my biggest problem with the article?

Where the hell is FFXI? Why didn't we get a mention?

We can destroy lives, too, you know. We're trying.

Did you see we have colored chocobos now?

You should totally skip your economics class.

I mean, this whole thing is basically a huge commercial for WoW.

You looking for a good game? This game is so good it ruins lives!

Hell yeah.

We need to get up on that.

What?

Yeah, yeah. People are failing out of school and their lives are spiralling down into nothingness.

Think how easy it would be to keep up with a Dynamis schedule.

24 Comments:

At 6:03 PM, Blogger Christopher said...

That's just Duluth, the red headed step child of the University of Minnesota school system. The town is so dreadfully boring that addictions to booze, drugs, etc... are considered common and uninteresting.

 
At 7:28 PM, Blogger KingOfZeal said...

You have no idea how many times I've skipped Economics to play FFXI.

I'm serious...

 
At 7:52 PM, Blogger Grenade71822 said...

Yall should be cool like me and take all your classes online.

 
At 8:31 PM, Blogger Ainoa said...

You go tell them about that 18 hour boss or something.

 
At 8:44 PM, Blogger Sword said...

I'd have to agree this article is pure and total BS. I mean they gave Star Wars Galaxies a mention and people have hardly played it since Lucas Arts screwed it up.

 
At 9:47 PM, Blogger RurouniZanza said...

Only good thing about all this?

The 18+ hour fights that kicks people's ass in real life, are now being forgotten by masses.

Dumb parent's line of thinking now:

FFXI= Messes up a few kids.

WoW= Makes their kids quit college.

"Mommy I want to play a game online, can I get WoW?"

"NO! I'll get you something else"

Kid discovers FFXI.

Farfetched, but possible. A lot of dumb parents around.

 
At 9:53 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

You know, you bring up a very good point. I would not be in the least surprised if this WAS like a big commercial and the reason FFXI didn't get mentioned is because they didn't want to pay enough money to get mention.

 
At 1:08 AM, Blogger Alex said...

On another funny note, according to a recent survey by Playboy, World of Warcraft has destroyed more relationships than ANYTHING else in this world.

 
At 3:26 AM, Blogger Arda said...

Colored chocobos?
Man, those FFXI players are craz.....
I mean...

Totally agree with Dave, you (as an adult) have to know when to stop playing and mustn't let MMORPG's destroy your real life.

Or maybe you'll end up fed to a colored chocobo (or a violet dragon).

 
At 9:22 AM, Blogger Rumplfugly said...

That's really depressing about FFXI GM Dave. At least maplestory received some kind of recognition for its existence when that chick in japan got arrested for murdering her fake husband's avatar. I'm sure you frowns upon links, so I won't link the report, just google ' Woman kills online husband '. If you feel like it, throw a maplestory on the top of that, the BBC has it, along with oh, 259,000 other people.

 
At 11:56 AM, Blogger Leivan said...

You don't get Blood Elf Shamans. :3

Sorry, couldn't resist. Big fan of [GM]Dave, but also a big fan of WoW, and I agree that this is total crap.

I quit Uni because it lost its novelty appeal after the first year, not because of WoW, or any other game.

Ah well - the world needs idiots, otherwise we'd have nothing to laugh at.

 
At 2:01 PM, Blogger TJ said...

Bitch is just mad because her class got nerfed.

 
At 2:12 PM, Blogger semele said...

Lots of cursing in here today. You're feeling uninspired, I think. :p

MMORPGs nearly ruined my marriage. Know what saved it? Being an adult and going "hey, I'm not okay with your raiding 4 nights a week" and having a conversation that led to compromise. If an adult can't act like an adult, they're a kid.

 
At 4:16 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I think the whole reason why FFXI is not mentioned is because their player base is smart enough to not screw their own lives, supporting the hypothesis that WoW does indeed rot brains and because FFXI doesn't it is superior.

 
At 8:58 PM, Blogger Anonymous said...

Jesse said...

I think the whole reason why FFXI is not mentioned is because their player base is smart enough to not screw their own lives, supporting the hypothesis that WoW does indeed rot brains and because FFXI doesn't it is superior.

4:16 PM

I've played both FFXI and WoW. And I have to say that I really don't think that people who play FFXI are any smarter. There's an equal mix of intelligent people and idiots on both games. Though I do have to say, I've never seen people in WoW, not even once, try to "date" each other and have relationships online, and in FFXI I saw it daily. Not sure if that's an intelligence issue or not, but it's pretty pathetic. Either way, both are great games, but for VERY different reasons. Though more people play WoW, so WoW will take the blame over FFXI when people decide to play the blame game. Just the way it is.

 
At 11:03 PM, Blogger Kist said...

I was mentioning this to a friend of mine; she said that her brother goes to UMD and they have multiple support groups dedicated to WoW addiction.

 
At 5:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

what do you mean that's plain retarded? why use such a demeaning and hurtful word? ever stop to wonder how people with special needs feel? they get it. they're not sitting in a corner rocking. they can read your hurtful words and shocker...they have feelings.

 
At 5:24 PM, Blogger Rachelle said...

The thing I find kind of sad is that it takes a wildly popular video game to make people see this as a problem.

No mention of all the kids who failed college because of Ultima Online? Or Everquest? REally? Oh, well, there wasn't 10 millioin people subscribed to those games so they're not important. Wow! This other game, that's really popular so now we'll notice that some people have problems with games!

Way to be completely oblivious!

 
At 11:24 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Anonymous said:

Though I do have to say, I've never seen people in WoW, not even once, try to "date" each other and have relationships online, and in FFXI I saw it daily.

I say...

wow, you're lucky. The last guild I was in -- the guild leader was actively trying to recruit people for his little Ds sex ring. We left when we found out about it (after he approached US). You need to go hang out in Goldshire on an RP server, sir.

 
At 12:08 AM, Blogger Ama said...

Here's a really simple solution to college kids being addicted to video games: teach them to manage their schedules and to avoid all unneccessary human contact. Hey, works well for me. For example, Mondays = house cleaning, Dynamis, starving boyfriend. Tuesdays = laundry, cook up and freeze some stuff to serve to starving bf on Friday. Friday = hit campaign to make up lost Monday dynamis xp, hopefully remember to take frozen crap from Tuesday out of the freezer, get drunk while waiting for the linkshell to show up for dynamis. Sunday = remind starving bf that we can't stay in the park for the picnic because I have to be back in time for sky.

 
At 12:27 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

*chuckle*

Bloodelf Shamans. Good one.

 
At 4:17 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

yah, i think the real issue here about FFXI not being mentioned is simply that the player base as a whole is a bit more inteligent and a little less obsessive then your average WoW player.

Now I'll admit to the embaressing fact that I do play both (god i'm a dork) but even I'll admit, ffxi people annoy me sometimes....most (not all) but most of your wow players are slack jawed mouth breathers that shouldnt be in university to start out with!

 
At 4:25 PM, Blogger The Ogre (aka, Matt) said...

Never mind that it's also Duluth and when it's not FREAKING COLD or BOILING HOT, it BORING as all hell. Let's not even get into how the town is practically dying around its citizens.

I'd much rather stay in my dorm/apartment/whatever and play video games...

 
At 6:33 PM, Blogger Mikado said...

Haha, people is so retarded, that is like blaming the hammer when we miss the nail and hit our thumb.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home