Tuesday, April 15, 2008

First NA EVAH!

Why do people have to say they were the first NA to do something?

Everytime we add ANYTHING, forums everywhere are flooded with posts by someone who thinks:

a) that they were the first to do it

b) that anyone would care

Congratulations. You're the first North American to do something that everyone else will have done in three hours.

You iz specialz.

And then, you have the server specific posts.

"OMG! I was the first NA on Lakhsmhi to do this quest!"

Is that really something to be proud of?

What's next?

"OMG! I'm the first Elvaan NA on Bismarck to get this weapon!"

"OMG! I'm the first female taru NA from New Jersey on Ifrit to kill this NM!"

"OMG! I'm the first female hume with face 2b NA player from Pierre, North Dakota, with sickle cell anemia on CaitSith to craft this helm!"

No one really cares if you were first. There's no gold star or pat on the head waiting for you.

Great. You did something cool. That's really nice.

You being first is not an accomplishment.

Winning a gold medal in the olympics? Accomplishment.

First person to obtain an easily crafted item? Not accomplishment.

I always spend part of my day reading through the various FFXI forums, even the ones I'm not a big fan of.

That's where I stumbled over this post.

2nd of the only two NA Thalassocrat holders on Garuda server. Only 4 at the time of me writing this. FFXI History in the making ^_^

My brain actually shut down when I read this. It ground to a halt and all conscious thought ceased.

Why? Why would someone consider this an accomplishment let alone an accomplishment that needs to be shared with the world?

He wasn't even first. At least if he was first I could have cut him a little slack.

But SECOND?!

Do you know what second place is? The first loser.

My biggest question is how this person is so certain they were second. You can't search for people based on equipment.

Basically, this person assumes they were second and then assumes that was something to be proud of.

This is my best guess as to the thinking process of this person:

Uh, there's a guy with one. Now, I got one. That makes me second.

I should go post this on a forum.

The world must know!

And how the hell is this history in the making?

Wow, you got an easily craftable item that involves no questing whatsoever. The weapon is just slightly better than the previously available craftable polearm.

Is that history? Really?

Do you think future historians will focus their studies on the second guy to get someone else to craft them a polearm?

Sorry. The second NA guy.

Sorry. The second NA guy on Garuda.

Man, if you're going to post crap like this just go the full way with it. Say you're the second guy in the whole world.

That would be just slightly less stupid.

Slightly.

Listen. You got yourself a new weapon and you're happy about it.

That's great. That makes sense.

But no one really cares if you're the first or number 174 to get one.

No one cares.

Well... Maybe your mom cares.

Go ask her.

15 Comments:

At 10:15 AM, Blogger Ricardo said...

First post on Dave's #200-something post!

I'm sure the digestive tract of Jormy would care.

 
At 10:36 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I would have taken that post as sarcastic, myself... are you sure they weren't just being ironic, and hate those stupid "OMG FIRST!!1!" posts as much as you do?

Although I suppose the purpose of this blog is to be funny, and people being stupid is easier to laugh at than people agreeing with you. *shrug*.

 
At 10:41 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

First! to mention that Pierre, North Dakota doesn't exist. It's in South Dakota! Hahaha!





...Well my mom cared about that bit...

 
At 12:06 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 12:08 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

The world MUST know that I made the 5th post on some post of [GM]Dave!

 
At 12:59 PM, Blogger Ary said...

Woooow.

Not only am I on Garuda, but I know of the post you saw (Drg main, so I checked out Thalassocrat when it first came out), and I also see the person who makes this post around Whitegate a lot.

Gotta say, [GM]Dave, this blog is awesome. First saw it a month or so ago, and been checking for updates every day since. Makes work go by far quicker. ..I could do my job I guess, but who does anymore? Anyway, keep with the awesome. Send Jormy my love.

..On second thought, that'll get me eaten. Well, sorry for long post. Later.

 
At 3:13 PM, Blogger Laserx said...

I wonder what the Japanese people think of all of us NAs...

NA Dude: Woot! First to beat this new game!

JA Dude: Oh, I remember that game... it was pretty good, but I didn't like the ending so much... I beat that five months ago.

 
At 4:20 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Nope, mommy told me she doesn't care

 
At 5:14 PM, Blogger Retromash said...

And you didn't have him pay a visit to Jormy's stomach?

Or any forum troll for that matter, but then he might get indigestion from the sheer quantity available.

 
At 7:44 PM, Blogger Shinkada said...

Just for the record... These consistant updates? -Awesome-. Love havin' you back, Dave. The extra funny however many times a week is an extra reason to procrastinate on my Legal studies. :3

 
At 11:18 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

hahaha, suckers. i am the first person with this screen name in my state to post this exact comment on this site.....of coarse its true, search the internet and you will find out i am right (please dont)

 
At 5:09 PM, Blogger Laserx said...

quinn, I am sure Dave is way too busy feeding people to a dragon (whom we all admire and look up to), so I will just do this for him.

*Slap*

 
At 8:26 PM, Blogger Ulli said...

First Dyrad Staff on any damned server. 3/11/07.

First to camp roc? Nope.
Just first to get the rare/ex version of the best whm staff out there.

Not a big accomplishment, but it still makes me a bit happy.

 
At 11:24 AM, Blogger Ricardo said...

Okay, for those who haven't figured out yet, all of those "Please see here" comments carry links with malware, don't click them!

 
At 12:44 AM, Blogger Qualo said...

First NA player to not be first at anything.
Qualo of Shiva

 

Post a Comment

<< Home